V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm new to your forum. I have a Honda Sabre that I have modified, but I am contemplating making a move to a fat boy or a local guy makes nice customs. Any opinion based on reason or rational for going one way or the other?

If I went with a fat boy, I would end up modifing it similar to the pic on the harley site gallery that shows the bike on a light house pier. I would lower it, do wheels , chrome forks , nacelle, low profile seat , ETC. I would probably spend 5 to 10 thousand on upgrades. This does not scare me , and I like tinkering with the bike myself..............

Joek86

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
If you are willing to spend that kind of money than get the fat Boy and fire up the parts catalog. A custom built bike will have fairly low resale value vs cost.....but then again so will a bike with 10 grand in overpriced catalog add ons.

All that being said...if you have the bucks go for it...I love the look of a tricked out Fat Boy too. If it was me (and in a way it is me since I have a Fat Boy with lots of crap on it) I'd look beyond the HD catalog and mix in some less common parts like those from Kuryakyn and some of the better seat and handlebar makers....Corbin, Mustang, Wild1, etc. It sure can add up fast, the new 3-spoke HD wheels out are $1000 each .....I'll keep my stock solids wheels thanks.

·
Registered
494 Posts
If I had $10K to blow on top of the cost of a new Fat Boy, I would definitely go the custom route......there's a lot more than "add-ons" and "change-outs" when comparing a stocker to a custom.....like frame type/rake/stretch, serious torque monster engines, custom paint.....on and on. EVERY component can be hand picked. If you like to "tinker" (i.e., build most of it or all of it yourself) and are willing to hunt for deals, $28 - $30K will build a killer custom with an awsome engine that would leave you wondering why anybody would bother starting with a stocker. It would cost way more $ to achieve the same with a stocker, and it would still be something anybody else can do or has already done. My opinion, nothing humble about it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree that you can build a custom for less than a modded out stocker. The issues that I am wrestling with are the resale value of the custom . And the fact that the basic bike that you are starting with in a stock modification is tried and true design ,the mistakes have already been made(hopefully)! The draw back to stock mods is the total cost that you rack up and the limitation of the frame (rake, stretch, etc.), unless you are going to take a chance on having the frame cut and reraked. If I go stock I will have to make the mods over time due to cost . I figure a stock modded to the degree that I am considering would exceed a custom project by five to eight thousand dollars depending on the amount of labor that I can contribute.

The feedback that I would like to receive from you guys is the following:
Would you rather own a modest custom bike or a modified Fat Boy?

Joek86

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Fatboy

Me, I choose to go the Fatboy route. Yep, it may cost more in the long run. However, I have a factory warrenty, insurance is easier, registration is easier. Also the modifications can go at my pace and budget.

I got mine 2 November 02. Lat night at the 20% off sale at my local High Dollar store I got the Fog lights for the front, the turn signal relocation kit, the trim rings for the Head light, Fog lights and turn signals. I also got the lay back licence plate mount. I picked the bike up with the gold key accessory package wich has the detchable windshield and hard leather bags, wind shield bag and detachable back rest.

I have many more plans for it as the money becomes available. It's fun to do it your self.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I think its fun to take time and do (or have done) step by step. If you are new to Harleys, your tastes or ideas may change as you go along. More important to me, however, is that if you start with a stocker, you can ride it virtually the entire time (SoCal). You may end end up spending more in total dollars, but less per mile ridden.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Go the Fatboy Route. I too was comparing a custom vs. Harley with mods. I ended up with an '01 FXDX, lowered, with Low Rider tank in place of Supersport, with a 103" Screaming Eagle storker motor. Got over $12,000.00 in reciepts just for the parts that were added. Has almost every piece of chrome Harley makes for the Dyna. I've put it in two shows, and won first in both. To put things in real perspective, call your local Harley dealer and asked him what the trade-in or resale value is on say a 2002 American Ironhorse Rambler. Then compare the same for a modded Fatboy of same year. That caomparison made up my mind.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Patrick engines are $10K, Performance Machine parts are top shelf but expensive, I have the catalogs at home, I thought about it too. Even considered Custom Chrome kit bikes, but re-sale is about what the kit costs without the labor. Like I said in your other post insurance and motor vehicle registration are issues. Call your insurance company ask them what a custom would run, if they'll even talk to you. And then suspension, I haven't seen too many customs that weren't rigided, cheaper to built but can't ride them comfortably for too long. At least I get tired of it quickly.

I finally concluded it wasn't worth it, just go with a good stock bike and mod it the way you want.

My 2 cents,

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts