V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a rip-off or worth buying? I bought my 1st Harley yesterday and hope to take delivery next week. A Super Glide. I don't wrench my own bike, but most of the time these plans are a waste of $ when you get them for digital cameras and such. Thoughts? thx bb

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
bohemianbiker said:
Is this a rip-off or worth buying? I bought my 1st Harley yesterday and hope to take delivery next week. A Super Glide. I don't wrench my own bike, but most of the time these plans are a waste of $ when you get them for digital cameras and such. Thoughts? thx bb
I did buy an extended warranty for my Ultra, but not through the MoCo. It's a company located in Denver, CO. Before your two year warranty expires thru the MoCo, you will receive several mailing asking if you want the extended warranty. It costs a couple hundred dollars more if you wait till then, but if you have no reliability issues or mechanical failures, I wouldn't buy it. :nope: I have used mine one time on the Ultra ($89.00) while in Colorado, but I didn't buy it for my XL 1200 (cuz I don't take it on extended trips) and won't as long as everthang runs well and no break downs. Take that money and buy a SERT, high volume air box and new slip on mufflers, and you'll be a lot happier.

·
Head Trickster
116 Posts
I don't normally get them with the stuff I buy.

I did for my 2005 Fatboy, though...extended the warranty out for 7 years, I think.

The pricing is negotiable. I paid $500 extra for it.

The pricing ratio is good...$18,700 for the bike - $500 to insure I will not be held financially liable for any problem that comes up.

I would do that every day of the week.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
bohemianbiker said:

Complete rip-off. Do you think a company would sell a product it wasn't making money on? That is why all car manufacturers and bike makers sell extended warranties. They are a total complete rip-off. Take the 1000.00 you were going to spend on the extended warranty, put it in the bank, and if you do have a small issue draw out of that account to fix it. Thus you are self insured. I bet that money stays where you put it. :) You get a 2 year warranty now with the new bikes anyway. What more do you need and extended warranties are not going to cover any engine mods you may want to do or you will delay them stating, "I am still under factory extended warranty." They are a crock. SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I give the same advise to everyone weather buying a car or motorcycle. Don't buy the extended plan when you buy the vehicle. You can always get the manufacturer's extended service plan if your within 1000 miles or 30 days of the factory warranty expiring. Look at the repairs of the bike over the 2 years the factory gives you. If you've had major warranty repairs, buy the extended service plan. Look at 3rd party warranties also, they could save you money.

I bought my bike used and it came with a 4 year extended service plan. The only time I could have used it is when the rear brake switch stopped working. But the deductable was $50 and the part was only $40. I replaced it myself which took all of 30 minutes to replace and bleed the brakes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Extended warranty

When I told the finance person I was not interested in the extended warranty they said what will you do if you blow the engine at 30.000 miles and you dont have the warranty . I told them I would junk it and get another honda dont get me wrong I love my super glide but if it is only good for a short time I dont need it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I never buy the extended warranty on anything. But, when I bought my 04 they offered a lower interest rate if you got the warranty.
The end result was, I got my payments lowered by about $5.00 for buying one extra year of warranty.

For me it was a no brainer.

My factory 2 year warranty expired last week. I had the bike in for service and they discovered a transmission leak and erratic oil pressure. These will be fixed under the extended warranty.

Looks like it will pay off for me.

Ride Safe,
Vettster

·
Registered
131 Posts
I know most of the guy's understand this But! It you buy a 5 year warranty it's only good for 3 years After the 2 year from the MOCO is up, so your buying a 3 year...and yes if it's not used you will get your money Back!

So...if you take it in after the 2 year from the God... for a $50.00 repair you get nothing back period.....it's a ripoff

Ride Safe!

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Like any insurance you're just rolling the dice. I didn't buy one for my 2004 Dyna. The only one I've ever purchased was one for my 2000 Honda GL1800. A discount Honda dealer offered the factory 5 year extended, transferable warranty for $299. Retail was $499. For me, on an all new design, it was worth the piece of mind through 2008. Also the fact it is transferable should make my Gold Wing worth at least $300 more on the used market.

·
Can it get any better!
423 Posts
It's a personal thing, it's insurance, if you sleep better at night knowing you are covered, go for it. If you feel you can cover any expenses for potential repairs, don't buy it. Like others have said, it's a roll of the dice.
I purchased extended warranties for my Jeeps, I don't exactly baby them and it has paid for itself 10 times over on 1 of them.
I got a good deal on the extended warranty when I purchased my Fatboy, plus they also pitched in a better interest rate. I've used it once, and honestly hope I never have to use it again, but it's there when I need it.

Nobody can tell you what it's worth to you. They aren't paying your bills.

·
Registered
145 Posts
03 ultra with 40k. after 1 yr warranty expired cb radio quit-$50 deduc for removal/shpg to radio shop and reinstalltion. Inner primary leak at 39k-$50 deduc for repair, probably a $500 job at dealer prices. So the warranty has paid for itself and I have 4 years left, if I sell it I get remainder prorated or can transfer it. And shop time is supposed to go up this year also. If only it covered tires.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
It really depends on how much you ride. If you ride 15000 miles a year chances are you will need it. If you ride 3000 miles per year probably not.

My 03 Ultra at 40,000 needed all new cam chest with tensioners, cams, oil pump parts alone was 1500 bucks. Glad I has the warranty.

D.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I had a friend of mine (former car mechanic, has an old shovel that he works on) that suggested when I first got my bike, instead of doing the the recommended break in, to just go 'balls to the wall'. That way if something is meant to break, it'll do it early on and be covered under the regular warranty. I remember reading something similar a year or so ago, it was a site someone had linked on here.

The extended warranty ends up pretty much useless for most people, except those that only get mods done by the dealer when they purchase the bike. If aftermarket pipes and a/c are put on (not to mention anything else that might be changed), then the extended warranty becomes useless. But on the other hand, if you are financing the bike, and the rate drops because you get the extended warranty enough to make a difference in payment, then why not do it? You can always go in and cancel the warranty later (get the money back, pro-rated, and keep the interest rate!) Not all of us are independently wealthy like you Fatb0y, and have to finance things.

Speaking of arw, I've never heard that you can get the money back on the extended warranty if you never use it. That makes it a pretty good deal if that is the case!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Jeep said:
It's a personal thing, it's insurance, if you sleep better at night knowing you are covered, go for it. If you feel you can cover any expenses for potential repairs, don't buy it. Like others have said, it's a roll of the dice.
I purchased extended warranties for my Jeeps, I don't exactly baby them and it has paid for itself 10 times over on 1 of them.
I got a good deal on the extended warranty when I purchased my Fatboy, plus they also pitched in a better interest rate. I've used it once, and honestly hope I never have to use it again, but it's there when I need it.

Nobody can tell you what it's worth to you. They aren't paying your bills.
@gree: @gree: @gree: @gree:

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
arw said:
I know most of the guy's understand this But! It you buy a 5 year warranty it's only good for 3 years After the 2 year from the MOCO is up, so your buying a 3 year...and yes if it's not used you will get your money Back!

So...if you take it in after the 2 year from the God... for a $50.00 repair you get nothing back period.....it's a ripoff

Ride Safe!
Are you 100% sure you get your money back? I know that was the deal in about 2000 or 2001 but I know in 2002 when I bought my bike that was discontinued. Now maybe they have reinstated it but that's the first I heard of it. If that is true then IMO you should definatly get the extended warranty, Take care of the small stuff yourself and if no major problems occur get your money back. Otherwise you have peace of mind should you have a catastrophic engine failure.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
DLeppik said:
It really depends on how much you ride. If you ride 15000 miles a year chances are you will need it. If you ride 3000 miles per year probably not.

My 03 Ultra at 40,000 needed all new cam chest with tensioners, cams, oil pump parts alone was 1500 bucks. Glad I has the warranty.

D.
@gree: Good point! If all you do is bar hop or trailer everywhere it would be foolish to buy the warranty but if you tend to rack up the miles it might be a good idea. It would be bad enough to be 2000 miles from home and have a breakdown but to have to spend all your vacation money to boot to fix it would really suck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts