V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
IronButt
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a digital Harley dipstick for my 07 just to check oil temps. It would be nice to check the oil level without pulling the dip stick but I still have to.

Since I have had this dipstick and came back from a ride. I wait 5 mins or so and check the oil level by reading the LCD display, and each time I get an eroor HIGH OIL

When I pull the dip stick it reads a 1/2 quart low (At A Normal operating Temp) which is were I like to be.

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yup, mine doesn't work so well either at reading, I just use it for temp, I didn't even realize it had a gauge on it until after I plugged it in. Although lately, it seems like it's gotten better over time...

·
Registered
418 Posts
I don't have one....but that's the beauty of this forum..... They're the reason I don't. Do an archive search. I'm sure you'll find several threads about how useless these things have been for many years.

·
IronButt
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder if I pulled mine to many times and I screwed it up. I won't mess with it and I will see if it works it self out. I'm sure I just waisted my money $$$

·
Registered
204 Posts
Don't these behave like a normal dipstick, in that when you're riding, the oil splashes up on it and then when you stop it will read high? If you the pull it out, the oil will be all over it and you'll have to wipe it clean and re-insert to get a good reading. Maybe it's only accurate before you start it up after sitting overnight? Just wonderin'.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I thought it was a joke post

Shows how behind the times I am. I have an ancient 05 with the dipstick that reads temp only. I don't mind eyeballing the oil level on the dipstick. It gives me a warm fuzzy. Temp gauge has always worked fine.

Gary​

·
IronButt
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's just a waste of money. I even pulled cleaned it and re-instal it and I still get an error reading. Even cold sitting over night I get an error

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
What did you expect it is a silly concept if you really think about it. And you should know this comes from a guy who fell for the previous temp guage dipstick. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Needless to say I have not opted for the newer version.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Mickeys-Customs said:
It's just a waste of money. I even pulled cleaned it and re-instal it and I still get an error reading. Even cold sitting over night I get an error
I've got one too, and I'm starting to agree with you, except for the temp works just fine. I have found that in order for the guage to read the oil level, you have to empty like almost 1/2 quart of oil. Otherwise, you get a "high oil" warning, and it won't even give the level. It also doesn't work if the engine is cold. The instructions state this, and say that you basically have to ride the bike and then let it sit for a bit before checking the oil. Just seems like a lot of hoops to jump through for the convenience of pushing a button to tell you the oil level.

So... for those of you who have not purchased one yet, don't do it unless you want a digital temp guage with a backlit display, vs. an analog dial. Don't count on it for oil level. You have to pull it like any other dipstick...

·
Seasoned Wrench
509 Posts
LOLZ...sounds to me like they work as well as the factory fuel gauge.

peace--

·
IronButt
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
razorsedge said:
LOLZ...sounds to me like they work as well as the factory fuel gauge.

peace--

:laugh:
your exactly right.

·
'04 FLHRPI
330 Posts
JohnT said:
Don't these behave like a normal dipstick, in that when you're riding, the oil splashes up on it and then when you stop it will read high? If you the pull it out, the oil will be all over it and you'll have to wipe it clean and re-insert to get a good reading. Maybe it's only accurate before you start it up after sitting overnight? Just wonderin'.
@gree: I have one, and it works fine. I have had an occasional HIGH OIL/ERROR reading, but it works just fine.

·
Recon
839 Posts
Mickeys-Customs said:
Just purchased a digital Harley dipstick for my 07 just to check oil temps. It would be nice to check the oil level without pulling the dip stick but I still have to.

Since I have had this dipstick and came back from a ride. I wait 5 mins or so and check the oil level by reading the LCD display, and each time I get an eroor HIGH OIL

When I pull the dip stick it reads a 1/2 quart low (At A Normal operating Temp) which is were I like to be.

Anyone else have this problem?
Yep. total waste of money...mine read the level fairly accurately and i began to trust it. I soon found out it was lying to me. It registered full when in fact i was nearly a qt. low. The blue light lcd got me to buy the fool thing and I knew better....its in the trash.

·
IronButt
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As I mentioned,
I only really wanted it for the oil temp and honetly I was digging the blue LCD.

This morning after it sat all night the reading did not give me an error.

The dam thing is just to temperamental

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Agree with Stanley.....I have one on each of my bikes, Softail and an Ultra, both read oil level and temp accurately after bike sits on kick stand for a few minutes on level ground. Occassionally I check manually to double check...no problem so far, hope this doesn't jinx me. Suggest not removing and wiping too often since sensor is behind a micro-screen which looks like it could be damaged if not careful.

·
Registered
729 Posts
My dipstick works just fine

stanley4512 said:
@gree: I have one, and it works fine. I have had an occasional HIGH OIL/ERROR reading, but it works just fine.
I have one for the TC 88 and it works fine as well. I figured out that each square is about 1/4 of a quart. I may pull the dipstick out maybe once a month, if that often.

·
IronButt
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not going to mess with mine for a few weeks and I'll see what happens

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Mickeys-Customs said:
I wonder if I pulled mine to many times and I screwed it up. I won't mess with it and I will see if it works it self out. I'm sure I just waisted my money $$$

I've pulled my dipstick way too many times too and my wife tells me thats why its so screwed up.:dunno:

Ride safe
-Randy-

1 - 20 of 61 Posts