V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on buying and installing these HD bags:

I know there is an attachment point that connects to the shock, I dont know if it attaches on the front (requires removal of shock bolt and lifting the bike) or attaches by the nut on the inside (not requiring removal & lift).

Anyone know the answer?

Please no replies about Boss or Leatherpros, these are the ones I will install. Not looking for suggestions on what to buy, thanks.

·
Gravel
23 Posts
I don't think they connect to the shock mount. I think they connect to the fender strut bolts and you have to relocate you rear turn signals.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wkdavistx said:
I don't think they connect to the shock mount. I think they connect to the fender strut bolts and you have to relocate you rear turn signals.
They do, I have it on good source. Just not sure of how.

I have done the relocation.

B

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
not real sure on these since I dont have them but on my boss bags on my 02 dyna they attach at the top on the strut bolts and the bottom rides on a bearing attached to the bottom shock bolt which had to be removed to install.
since I didnt have a lict at the time I simply used a jack under one side at a time to support that sied of the bike while I removed and replaced the bolt.

LoneEagle

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I have the detachable bags on my 06 FXDCI. Yes you have to remove the upper bolt and loosen the lower bolt of the rear shocks to install brackets from the mounting kit. You relocate the signals to the license plate bracket with the relocation kit. The hole from the signals and the remaining bolt holding the trim to the fender are used for the other two mounting points for the bag. Easiest if you do one side at a time and use a motorcycle jack.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alattabills said:
I have the detachable bags on my 06 FXDCI. Yes you have to remove the upper bolt and loosen the lower bolt of the rear shocks to install brackets from the mounting kit. You relocate the signals to the license plate bracket with the relocation kit. The hole from the signals and the remaining bolt holding the trim to the fender are used for the other two mounting points for the bag. Easiest if you do one side at a time and use a motorcycle jack.
OK thanks for the info. I have done the relocation as seen here:

(I have since put a bolt through the rear fender/bracket hole)

So there is an attachment point for the bags on the lower shock bolt? That bolt has it's nut on the inside, does the bolt have to come out? Did the bags come with all the hardware? (except the turn signal relocation hw).

I didnt realize the upper shock bolt had to come out. I do have a lift.

B

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LoneEagle964 said:
not real sure on these since I dont have them but on my boss bags on my 02 dyna they attach at the top on the strut bolts and the bottom rides on a bearing attached to the bottom shock bolt which had to be removed to install.
since I didnt have a lict at the time I simply used a jack under one side at a time to support that sied of the bike while I removed and replaced the bolt.

LoneEagle
I have looked at the Boss #31 bag. Did it come with all the docking HW you need and how was the fitment? I cant really figure out the requirement of that roller bearing, what does it do? Does it somehow attach to the bag so they dont hang or flop around?

On my bike pictured here:

I have a Boss bag on the back. It attaches to the luggage rack by their sandwich mount which was crap quality and bent/cracked. I had to gin up a replacement (under luggage rack "sandwich" piece). The leather is nice quality, but I am nervous about their other HW.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Leatherpros

From what I understand, the Leatherpros bags for Dynas are essentially identical to the Boss Bags except they do not require the roller on the lower shock mount. Should be easier to install.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
You remove the upper bolt to install a bracket inbetween the shock and fender trim, and loosen the lower bolt just to be able to move/pivot the shock as needed. Installation/mounting kit was extra. Check the HD catalog for the correct kit.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
the boss bags come with all necessary mounting hardware the bearing on the lower shock bole is only there to keep the bottom of the bag from rubbing on the shock I like the fact that the bags are easilly removed for cleaning maint. or just short trips where they are not needed .

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
i love the quick release bags. i also love the quick release windshield also. i can tour my bike out in 2 minutes ans strip it clean for barebone in 2 minutes. great for quick removal and install. it gives you so many diffrent options. jackyl

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also hav the HD quick disconect bags and windshield as for your first question it mounte in place of rear turn signal and front strut bolt the relocation kit is required for the fit . They do turn the bike into a bager in a quick hurry and back to a cruiser.JMO

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dyna Bags problems

I fitted these bags to my 2006 Dyna35 but I was a little disapointed with the performance. The kit came with the wrong sized mounts and I had to drill two of them out. Also the bags don't have carrying handles nor locks so if you stay at a hotel you need the porter's trolley to transport them. Another thing is that that the fill hole is v small and if you use the HD insert bags you have to scrunch them up to get them in and out.

I think the overall design could be improved with some simple measures to make them proper saddle bags.

·
Registered
7 Posts
check out the leatherpros bags but bout 100 bux cheaper then the boss bags.the dyna bags only difference is there is no emblem or the shock roller other then that same bag made by the 1 brother of the 1 who makes the boss bags.not sure what other differences on other bags for differnt models

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Installed Boss Bags #31

I have a set of Harley Bags for Dyna. Mine is 2007. Never been put on bike let me know if interested. Bob
I posted my original inquiry in early Nov. Since then, I purchased the Boss Bag #31 and installed. I know about the Leatherpro too.

The Boss bag has a very slick feature in the roller bearing. The backside of the bag has a hard section (some sort of hard plastic) which contacts a roller bearing that you attach to the lower shock bolt. As the shocks compress during riding, the roller bearing rides up and down the hard section.

They literally detach (and attach) in 10-15 seconds and have a lever inside that latches down on the attach point to keep them on snug. Also, they have a hidden (under the front flap) fixture for small Master locks and they provide 2 keyed the same for both sides.

These bags are tough and have a good hard inside liner.

Sorry, no pics. Bike is on lift covered in the garage hibernating.

B

·
Registered
267 Posts
I still cannot understand why the T-Sport didn't sell. Small fairing, detachable bags. Nobody wanted them, but a lot set them up the same way??

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts