V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In a message entitled "Something We Never Want to Lose" on his company's website, Harley-Davidson Motor Company President and CEO Jim McCaslin tackles the issue of motorcycle noise and the increasing backlash motorcycling is experiencing as the result of loud pipes. Citing a four-fold increase in negative media coverage during the last decade, bans on motorcycles in some communities, attempts to curtail major motorcycle events, anti-tamper legislation, and other limitations of freedom for motorcyclists as the result of complaints about loud pipes, McCaslin says, "We all, every Hog lovin' one of us, must do everything we can to protect our sport and keep it as strong as it is today."

http://motorcyclecruiser.com/newsandupdates/harley_davidson_motorcycle_noise/

I guess they'll have to change the Colorado event to "Whisper in the Rockies"

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I am sure will be lot of bitching. But your freedom only goes to point where it effects someone else. I worry that if people don't watch it, there going to come down over hard on us. Since I don't put any faith in people, its going to get restrictive in the future.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Completely agree.

berserker said:
I am sure will be lot of bitching. But your freedom only goes to point where it effects someone else. I worry that if people don't watch it, there going to come down over hard on us. Since I don't put any faith in people, its going to get restrictive in the future.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
berserker said:
I am sure will be lot of bitching. But your freedom only goes to point where it effects someone else.
Amen! Its like anything when a majority of people get pissed you can pretty much bet they will get there way. The motorcycling community needs to think long and hard about that, how would the folks that enjoy Sturgis or Daytona or the other large bike events feel when they get shutdown because of the hassle from the residential majorty.

·
Turgid member
1,941 Posts
msocko3 said:
Amen! Its like anything when a majority of people get pissed you can pretty much bet they will get there way. The motorcycling community needs to think long and hard about that, how would the folks that enjoy Sturgis or Daytona or the other large bike events feel when they get shutdown because of the hassle from the residential majorty.
Now days, it doesn't even take a majority. One a-hole-with-an-agenda can do all sorts of damage.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Well guys why don't we start right here on our forum. I see posts here all the time with guys talking about removing there baffles or cutting them in pieces, or trying to find the loudest pipes available. Then when someone points out that there bike is gonna run like crap or that they are going to loose allot of low end torque they just respond, "I don't care I want it to be loud" or another one is "loud pipes save lives". When ever I read one of these posts I shake my head and want to respond by saying that you guys are only screwing it up for the rest of us but I just keep my mouth shut. I like the sound of a nice rumble just like everyone else ,but to a point. I had Vance and Hines big shots on my last bike and I installed the quit baffles but I still was a little leery about pulling out of my driveway at 6am. I loved the sound of them but I was always very careful of where I let em rip, oh and by the way I still had cars drift into my lane on the hwy even before I put the quiet baffles in. That loud pipe argument is just a bunch of BS.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in agreement that open pipes are too loud. But that begs the question, where's the line? I have SE's that Harley sold me (that they won't anymore). Hundreds of thousands of SE's and similar slipons and pipes are on Harley's. Are they too loud?

Well, the short answer is yes because they are for "off road use only." Do I need to take these off and put on the EPA legal pipes?

I'm getting the message from the Harley CEO that responsibility is the key and that is true. But are they advocating to stay within EPA noise regulations?

I'm sure many in the general public feel my SEII's are too loud.

Why isn't there similar rancor and outrage at these 3000 watt stereos going full blast at the stoplight? Are aftermarket stereo companies concerned and asking their owners to "be responsible with your car stereo?"

I agree that open pipes are a detriment to all of us and lump us into one group. But why aren't similar campaigns waged against the other noise sources like the aforementioned car stereos? Or those buzzy coffee can mufflers that sound like 10,000 angry hornets?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Why isn't there similar rancor and outrage at these 3000 watt stereos going full blast at the stoplight?
Yeah, at least a Harley is music...unlike the crap I hear coming from those stereos..

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
american freedom rights.

!. you have the right to care about anyone or not
2. you have the right to consume any thing
3. you have the right to like or dislike some one
4.you have the right to go anywhere in the usa by any means
5.you have the right to prosper and and be in good health or not
6.you have the right to obey or disobey any laws
7. you have the right to say anything or not talk at all
8. you have the right to be free and make your own choises
9. you have the right to live any where in the usa or planet earth
10.you have the right to belive anything you want to belive

noise dos'nt polute
noise only anoys some
noise dosnt kill people, people and wild large animals do
Stop noise polution? We have the right to make noise or not
In God We Trust? That includes me a noise maker. I dare you to show in the holy bible that noise is a sin! yeah right thow shall not make noise.
Laws just make more law breakers of us all , God dos'nt care about mans laws. Only that we love one another and belive in his son.Laws stop us from being who we realy are or want to be. Love gives us wings like eagles.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Conformity. I have said it before on this board. People nowadays will drop their freedoms in a heartbeat and conform to the consensus instead of fighting for their personal freedoms now. It is as if our founding fathers died for nothing. A total slap in mine and their faces. I write my corrupt politicians all the time. They usually don't do anything unless it will get them re-elected, but at least I am active. Where I am there are 100 fold who are not. They will just listen to a CEO blowing off at the mouth and conform to his standard instead of saying, :nfu2:. NO WAY BUDDY!!!!

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Out west here, there are tons and tons of big diesel trucks that have been chipped for performance. They are frick'in loud...so wheres the up-roar.

There are also all the little honda civic's and acura integra's with the rat trap mufflers which sound horrible and are loud...so where's the up-roar.

Pull up to a stop-light and the rice mobile behind me has a stereo that shakes the rear-view mirror of my car...where the up-roar.

So what the hell is wrong with the nice throaty sound of a V-twin turning over?? The masses seem to tollerate all the other $hit from their fellow cagers??:huh:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
its not about rolling over, its abnout time and place. I used to live near a bar, I honestly hoped at 2am that guy leaving would wreck and die. Not kidding. Get woke up at 2am on a tuesday when you got to be up at 5:30.

You want a bike with straigh pipes fine, don't be running it late at night.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The other day we were waiting at a staging area to go out on a ride. A block away were some folks with their straight pipes accelerating away from a light. We had to stop our conversation for several seconds because the sound from those pipes a block away was so loud, we couldn't hear each other speaking. I have SE slip-ons and they are definately NOT that loud. I've been known to rev my engine to get some dumba$$ cagers attention, but I'm not sure that having deafeningly loud pipes is really necessary to accomplish that. I think a little moderation and common sense might be in order. It's becoming apparent that, with the issue of loud pipes, a pi$$ off attitude toward John Q, is only going to hurt us all.
-2$en#e-
Fred

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
angleflights said:
noise dos'nt polute
noise only anoys some
noise dosnt kill people, people and wild large animals do
Stop noise polution? We have the right to make noise or not
In God We Trust? That includes me a noise maker. I dare you to show in the holy bible that noise is a sin! yeah right thow shall not make noise.
Laws just make more law breakers of us all , God dos'nt care about mans laws. Only that we love one another and belive in his son.Laws stop us from being who we realy are or want to be. Love gives us wings like eagles.
Wow. Nobdoy has the right to effect somebody else. Were not talking about annoying either. Theres plenty who take it past that.
Holy Bible does mention something about your neighbor. I am sure someone more famialr with me could destroy this defense. How about meek? I don't think God encourages being an ass. Unless your donations are over certain amount.

If Gods wants you to wake me up, I am switching to new church. Just keep switching until you find one you like.

Let me guess partyied pretty hard with the narcotics, ect? I got some friends like that fried drugs, screwed everybody over, but find salvation.

I don't know you so I shouldn't make assumptions. So please turn the other cheek.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I live less than 100 feet from Hwy 101 in CA and drag pipes are far and away the most obnoxious sound emenating from there. Big rigs using compression braking come in second (only because the drag pipe dickheads are far more prevalent, especially on weekends). You can't even put the stereo subwoofer kooks in the same category. It would take a live Metallica concert to drown out drag pipes, and I'm pretty sure they can't set up their act on a flatbed.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
This is not new, get, if you can the latest issue(or the one before) of the "Enthusiast" magazine and there is a good article on this very issue and how it was the same 70 odd years ago.

I totally agree with Beserker.

AngelFlights, WHAT THE.........:dunno:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Love thy neighbor as you love thy self...Love the Lord Thy God with all your mind,with all your heart,with all your soul...Do unto others as you would have them do unto you...Love is the greatest of all the comandments.:RTFB:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
did I somehow miss the connection between God and exhaust pipes when I was in Catholic School? ^rolleyez^

I agree that there are too many f-wads ripping around with straight pipes... dude, put a f-n baffle in it. Of course, it really looks like it is too late now... we're screwed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
azrider said:
I agree that open pipes are a detriment to all of us and lump us into one group. But why aren't similar campaigns waged against the other noise sources like the aforementioned car stereos? Or those buzzy coffee can mufflers that sound like 10,000 angry hornets?
I don't think blasting stereos at the stoplight are as much, or common, of a "problem" as a cruiser with open pipes. Furthermore, an inline four with a full system is nowhere near the volume of a cruiser with open pipes when going around town. I don't have loud pipes on my bike. What's the point when it just pisses people off and the bike becomes a pain in the ass to ride?

Edit: I'm not trying to bitch but I have walked around town when cruisers have blasted by on full throttle with open pipes, and the sound is extremely loud. Once a cruiser went past a class of small kids and their teachers at full blast. The teachers screamed after the moron. I don't want to be a part of giving us bikers a bad rep, that's all. You got to show some respect to other people.

·
Registered
185 Posts
reg26 said:
Well guys why don't we start right here on our forum. I see posts here all the time with guys talking about removing there baffles or cutting them in pieces, or trying to find the loudest pipes available. Then when someone points out that there bike is gonna run like crap or that they are going to loose allot of low end torque they just respond, "I don't care I want it to be loud" or another one is "loud pipes save lives". When ever I read one of these posts I shake my head and want to respond by saying that you guys are only screwing it up for the rest of us but I just keep my mouth shut. I like the sound of a nice rumble just like everyone else ,but to a point. I had Vance and Hines big shots on my last bike and I installed the quit baffles but I still was a little leery about pulling out of my driveway at 6am. I loved the sound of them but I was always very careful of where I let em rip, oh and by the way I still had cars drift into my lane on the hwy even before I put the quiet baffles in. That loud pipe argument is just a bunch of BS.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.