1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Interesting...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10908894/

...from the story...

"The company says there are still major hurdles — some 170 Chinese cities limit or ban motorcycle use or ownership, largely because they are viewed as underpowered, cheap, polluting machines that clog traffic and endanger others."

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
There are major hurdles because the Chinese government is in the process of building its own Harley Davidson factory. They have corporate spies sending the technical designs of all current Harley models back to China where they intend on counterfeiting and building exact copies, right down to the paint color and tank emblems. Soon we will be able to purchase an “imported Harley” Electra Glide Ultra Classic for MSRP of $1999.00

While with UNMIK, China started sending officers to Kosovo in 2003 to participate in the “Democratization” of the Kosovo Police Service. Go figure, well anything electronic, written or not nailed down or cast in concrete was sent back to China with the full knowledge of the U.N. The above paragraph is in jest, but, I bet anybody a case of beer we see copied Harleys made out of plastic and white metal scooting around Beijing.
+SMSH+

·
it wasn't me
340 Posts
my thoughts exactly. I have seen where the Chinese have copied our products so meticulously that if there is a defect in a molded part, they copy the defect.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Actual MC pic from China

This is one pic I took while in China back in 2004. They sell Honda 125CC knock offs for around $800 new. It was nothing to see a family of 4 PLUS the rider tooling along the roads. Little kids around the ages of 1-3 years old ride on the tank or stand on floorboards. I saw no concerns for health, safety, or environment. Traffic signals, when present, are merely suggestions.

I am told that in many factories there, knock off products are produced on the same assembly lines as the "authenic" products durning the less supervised hours. That is one wild place.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Would like to see them succeed in China. Saw their bikes in Hong Kong, Japan, and Korea on a recent trip, and only teeny, belchy, nasty sounding small cc bikes in China. While in Korea was in a limo van checking businesses in Seoul, and a rumbling Road King pulled up next to us at a stop light. All conversations ceased to look at the bike. :)

Would make success in China a top MoCo corporate priority the next 5-10 years. While there was stunned to hear China has 250 million middle class consumers today and in 5-10 years it will be 750 million. Compare this to a U.S total population of 300 million. It is a global economy and I'm all for U.S. based companies succeeding overseas versus companies from other countries. Go H-D.

·
Registered
41 Posts
China is our enemy and is continually gaining strength. They don't abide by international laws and we are screwing ourselves by interwining our businesses with theirs.

$1999 Harley, hmmmm.....

Chris.:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

·
Registered
725 Posts
itsflashman said:
China is our enemy and is continually gaining strength. They don't abide by international laws and we are screwing ourselves by interwining our businesses with theirs.

$1999 Harley, hmmmm.....

What do you propose H-D and other U.S. based companies do?

·
Registered
529 Posts
sfarson said:
What do you propose H-D and other U.S. based companies do?
Do what the rest of corporate America has done. Shut down their factories here and contract with factories in China to make their products over there for pennies on the dollar. Then ship their junk back here and sell it at Wall Mart for the same money as before. Say it isn't so.:nunu:

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I'm not familiar with mainland China. But I'm currently working with the Taiwan Navy refubishing old American ships for them. When I fire up my Road King, everything stops. I'm constantly hearing "Harley man, Harley man." Gets a bit old after awhile. Hell, half those kids have been into the local Harley dealership just to buy jackets and Tshirts. They're pleased as punch just to say they've actually seen a real Harley. I don't understand their fascination, but it's real.

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
HD dealership in China?

Interesting story on trying to sell HDs in China:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10908894/

For years, iconic motorcycle maker Harley-Davidson Inc. has pushed hard to find ways to sell its motorcycles in China. Now, the Milwaukee-based company says it plans to announce before summer that it will open its first retail outlet in the country since at least World War II.

The company says there are still major hurdles — some 170 Chinese cities limit or ban motorcycle use or ownership, largely because they are viewed as underpowered, cheap, polluting machines that clog traffic and endanger others.

Motorcycles have been banned from almost all the main streets in Shanghai, Huang said, and the city stopped accepting motorcycle registrations in 2002.

After China joined the World Trade Organization in 2001, import restrictions, quotas and tariffs dropped substantially against foreign motorcycle manufacturers, but municipal traffic ordinances have remained, Hoelter said.

"The problem is although we can now sell our motorcycles in China, the Chinese can't use them, at least if you live in an urban area," he said.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
You are American hero. They love you long time!:laugh:

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
And the girls will gladly share whatever they are giving away for free!!!!!! LOL

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
itsflashman said:

$1999 Harley, hmmmm.....

Ummmmm it is way to late for that man there are way to many US companies over there right now. Working in a molding facility I saw parts they (China)molded that were exactly the same as ours in spec, good parts and for 1/2 the price. It is all driven by greed on both sides of the fence unfortunetly. We as Americans all want to earn more and the US Companies all want to make it for less. They live in dorms by the factories over there and are greatfull ,work 16 hour days 6 days a week and think they have gone to the imperial palace. Unfortunetly there are a lot of people (not all) that go to work in the US and dont work and think the comapanies owe them something for showing up. There is a huge wake up call coming. To me right or wrong if HD doesnt go to China they will be left in the dust. One company can not fight or change the times. There are no morals, it is all about $$$.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Peacekeeper said:
I bet anybody a case of beer we see copied Harleys made out of plastic and white metal scooting around Beijing.
+SMSH+
Just like Honda and Yamaha are doing.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
hotshotfxdl said:
Ummmmm it is way to late for that man there are way to many US companies over there right now. Working in a molding facility I saw parts they (China)molded that were exactly the same as ours in spec, good parts and for 1/2 the price. It is all driven by greed on both sides of the fence unfortunetly. We as Americans all want to earn more and the US Companies all want to make it for less. They live in dorms by the factories over there and are greatfull ,work 16 hour days 6 days a week and think they have gone to the imperial palace. Unfortunetly there are a lot of people (not all) that go to work in the US and dont work and think the comapanies owe them something for showing up. There is a huge wake up call coming. To me right or wrong if HD doesnt go to China they will be left in the dust. One company can not fight or change the times. There are no morals, it is all about $$$.
This is the way it was put to me at work here in the US.
Next time you fill up at the pumps with that big SUV and are bitching about the price you may want to be greatfull because if the price of gas was lower more stuff would be being made in China. Part of the problem right now is it costs a lot to ship it back over here.
The cold hard truth...........

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Peacekeeper said:
There are major hurdles because the Chinese government is in the process of building its own Harley Davidson factory. They have corporate spies sending the technical designs of all current Harley models back to China where they intend on counterfeiting and building exact copies, right down to the paint color and tank emblems. Soon we will be able to purchase an “imported Harley” Electra Glide Ultra Classic for MSRP of $1999.00

While with UNMIK, China started sending officers to Kosovo in 2003 to participate in the “Democratization” of the Kosovo Police Service. Go figure, well anything electronic, written or not nailed down or cast in concrete was sent back to China with the full knowledge of the U.N. The above paragraph is in jest, but, I bet anybody a case of beer we see copied Harleys made out of plastic and white metal scooting around Beijing.
+SMSH+
You may have thought it was in jest. BUT. Chrysler started building Jeeps in China for the market there. Time goes by and they are seeing lots of Jeeps on the road. Only problem is Chrysler didn't make the majority of them. Seems a couple of plants popped up and started building Jeeps after they bought an original disassembled it and copied it. What do I know I just live near the former Auto Capitol of the world?

For the MBAs. Once you have increased your profits by making everything in China and else where. Who in the USA is going to be making enough money to buy your product?

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Most of our 'Genuine Motor Company' parts come from some place over there anyway. And the Genuine Motor Clothes too.

Long Live 'Harrie-Davisaan'

1 - 20 of 44 Posts