V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I feel stupid having to ask but I need some help. I have been trying to figure out what the initials such FX or XL (Sportster) mean. Like I just typed I know XL is but for the life of me I can't seem to decipher the others. Also, what is a bagger (this conjurs up really bad mental images) and for that matter what is a deuce.

Please excuse my ignorance, I just want to sound intelligent when I speak to other owners plus it would sure help to know these meanings when I am reading posts.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
679 Posts
rickpoco said:
H.D. = Hundred Dollars
That's the minimum 'donation' to the Stealership every time you walk in.

·
BFFB
833 Posts
on the 88's f=big twin ,, L=big tire ,, x=small tire as in fxdwg=big twin,,, small tire,,, d for dyna frame,,,wg for wide glide,,,,,,

flhrc =f for big twin,, L for big tire ,,,h for handle bar mounted fairing,,,,r for road king ,,,c for classic

softails are designated with an s

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
The first letter designates Big or Small Twin

F = Big Twin (1340cc and 1450cc)
X = Small Twin (883cc & 1200cc Sporty)

The second letter of a _Big_Twin_bike_ used to designate the type of front
end, now it is more of the "style of bike" ("Touring" or "Sport" version).

FL = Big Twin, touring style.
FX = Big Twin, sport style.

The next letter or letters generally designates the style of bike.

ST= SofTail
D = Dyna
H = Electra-Glide
R = Road King
T = Road Glide
etc.

And the letter after that makes it more specific:

B = Bad Boy
C = Classic on a FL.
C = Custom on a FX
F = Fat Boy
S = Springer
T = Touring
WG = Wide Glide
U = Ultra
etc.

So:

FLST = Big Twin, touring style, SofTail.
FLSTC = Big Twin, touring style, SofTail, Classic Styling
FLSTF = Big Twin, touring style, SofTail, Fat Boy
FLSTS = Big Twin touring style, SofTail, Springer.
FXST = Big Twin, sport style, SofTail.
FXSTC = Big Twin, sport style, SofTail, Custom Styling.
FXSTS = Big Twin, sport style, SofTail, Springer
FXD = Big Twin, sport style, Dyna-Glide
etc...

Add an I for the EFI models.

More or less, in a nutshell.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
And another thing to remember...

The Ten Commandments of Harley-Davidson

The one true American-made motorcycle is the Harley-Davidson, and thou shalt put no other motorcycles before it.

Thou shalt not bow down and worship nor serve the God of Chrome; for, lo, he is a false god and will not get thy butt home.

Honor thy authorized dealer and thy HOG Chapter officers, that thy days may be long and fruitful in the land of Harley.

Remember the weekend, and keep it open. For it is written, five days shalt thou labor, and for two days shalt thou ride thy Harley, drink beer, and F**K off.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's Harley, nor her manservant, nor her maidservant, nor her ox, nor her cute little ass.

From the throne of thine Harley, thou shalt not stoop to wave at sinners who ride ***-crap, for ***-crap is known to be the handiwork of the devil.

Thou shalt not pass by nor turn away from thy brother Harley rider who is in mechanical distress.

Thou shalt not pose. Verily, I say unto you, it is easier for a poser to pass his gold Visa card through the eye of a needle than to enter into the true fellowship of Harley-Davidson heaven.

When riding thy Harley on the Road of Life, thou shalt not whine nor snivel, and thou shalt not suffer to ride alongside those who do.

Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it may collect dust for want of being oft ridden. Ride thy Harley with thy brethren, and rejoice in the spirit of the road.

·
BFFB
833 Posts
nicely put,,,except i understood the h meant handle bar mount fairing ???? as in fLt = road glide with frame mount,,,and the electra glides and road kings are fLh's,,,,any way the alpha bet soup is confuseing to learn,,,my surce also said the xl term evolved from the designation of experimental light weight

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
One more tidbit of info regarding letter designations.
Originally there was an FL and the XL. When HD decided to make a sportier bike with the FL motor they took the FL frame/engine and slapped an XL front end on it. This is ORIGINALLY where the FX was born. F (from the FL) and X (from the sportster) were taken and combined into an FX to be HDs sport touring model in the early 70s.

·
Registered
133 Posts
FL vs. FX

This thread has been a wonderful help delineating the alphabet soup:

I see that all the Dyna's are FX and all the Touring's are FL. But the Softail's have both FX and FL.

So what is the functional/visual difference between FX and FL?

I understand touring vs. sport, but what "rubber meeting the road" difference does this mean?

DB

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
fulldraw said:

And the letter after that makes it more specific:

B = Bad Boy
C = Classic on a FL.
C = Custom on a FX
F = Fat Boy
S = Springer
T = Touring
WG = Wide Glide
U = Ultra
etc.

So:

FLST = Big Twin, touring style, SofTail.
FLSTC = Big Twin, touring style, SofTail, Classic Styling
FLSTF = Big Twin, touring style, SofTail, Fat Boy
FLSTS = Big Twin touring style, SofTail, Springer.
FXST = Big Twin, sport style, SofTail.
FXSTC = Big Twin, sport style, SofTail, Custom Styling.
FXSTS = Big Twin, sport style, SofTail, Springer
FXD = Big Twin, sport style, Dyna-Glide
etc...

Fulldraw, fer shame, fer shame, tsk, tsk. You left out our beloved Deuces.:mad:

FXSTD: A designation I have become very familiar with. (As in, "Fits all Softail models except FXSTD.":mad:

:D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
fourhour said:
Fulldraw, fer shame, fer shame, tsk, tsk. You left out our beloved Deuces.:mad:

FXSTD: A designation I have become very familiar with. (As in, "Fits all Softail models except FXSTD.":mad:

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Isn’t that the truth! The Deuce is a great bike but the accessories out there are lacking but unique!:D

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Fulldraw, fer shame, fer shame, tsk, tsk. You left out our beloved Deuces.
:eek: :D :eek:

I knew when I posted this that I had exlcuded the Deuce, sorta trying not make it more alphabet. Some guys tease me about riding a disease,
FX(STD):eek:

I should of known I couldn't get away with the slip! You guys are like a Hawk watching a mouse:eek:

FX=Big Twin, sport style
ST=SofTail
D=DEUCE
:D

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Re: FL vs. FX

dirtbeard said:
This thread has been a wonderful help delineating the alphabet soup:

I see that all the Dyna's are FX and all the Touring's are FL. But the Softail's have both FX and FL.

So what is the functional/visual difference between FX and FL?

I understand touring vs. sport, but what "rubber meeting the road" difference does this mean?

DB
My guess would be that the FL's (FatBoy and Heritage) are probably considered as "Touring" due to the floorboards. But, it's just a guess.:D

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The original FL had a springer front end. Then the FLH came out. The "H" stood for high compresion. The letter designations today mean little other than to seperate differnt models/groups. The Hydra Glide (1949) was the first to use a title and not exclusively letter designations.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts