V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not believe that Harley Davidson, An american company, is now manufacturing most of their motor clothes overseas now. I bought a Harley because it is Union made in the usa. I however refuse to spend my hard earned american money on something made in Mexico or any other foreign country. If I wanted to buy foreign I would have bought a damn *** bike. I know this for a fact since I tried to buy a leather jacket and some jeans this past Christmas. The jeans are now being made in Mexico instead of the US. I asked the sales attendant why tis was so. She replied by saying that they are being made in Mexico because of better Quality. I say Bullshit, just ask Levi Strauss Co., they did the same thing to only find out that their sales have dropped, they are now being manufactured in the US again. I say come on Harley, you sold us on American history and pride, so why make products outside this country. I for one refuse to buy anything that is Harley Davidson and not manufactured in the good old USA. TAKE PRIDE IN WHAT YOU RIDE!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Dave P said:
I can not believe that Harley Davidson, An american company, is now manufacturing most of their motor clothes overseas now. I bought a Harley because it is Union made in the usa. I however refuse to spend my hard earned american money on something made in Mexico or any other foreign country. If I wanted to buy foreign I would have bought a damn *** bike. I know this for a fact since I tried to buy a leather jacket and some jeans this past Christmas. The jeans are now being made in Mexico instead of the US. I asked the sales attendant why tis was so. She replied by saying that they are being made in Mexico because of better Quality. I say Bullshit, just ask Levi Strauss Co., they did the same thing to only find out that their sales have dropped, they are now being manufactured in the US again. I say come on Harley, you sold us on American history and pride, so why make products outside this country. I for one refuse to buy anything that is Harley Davidson and not manufactured in the good old USA. TAKE PRIDE IN WHAT YOU RIDE!
uh, how long have you been riding HD's?
Clothing has been made overseas for at least 15 years that I know of.
Ever check out where the parts on your bike are made? Keihn carb, Japan. Electrics, Japan. Showa front forks, Japan. Cast wheels, Japan.
I forgot what else.
Also take a look at the chrome stuff hanging on the wall to see where that is made.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
490 Posts
Clothing Economics

I hope you only put US-produced gasoline in you bike... it might surprise a lot of people, but a significant portion of the US oil market is supplied by IRAQ (approx. 5% last time I checked).

It is becoming increasingly difficult to find ANY mass market clothes that are manufactured in the U.S. The last US based shirt manufacturer closed its doors some months ago.

In all fairness, I think you are being perhaps a little unrealistic in your assessment of the situation. For starters, garment work is not particularly pleasant, and is notoriously poorly paid. Frankly, very few US workers would be willing to endure the low pay and crummy working conditions in most garment factories, to say nothing of the risk of "brown lung" disease from inhaling fabric dust all day long. Secondly, I doubt sincerely that most consumers would be willing to pay a large premium for the pleasure of buying clothes that are entirely US made.

I think most of the people who work for Harley and its suppliers in the US are pretty glad of the well-paid jobs that they have. This group includes the people who design, market, distribute, and sell Harley-branded clothes. Out of the $20 you pay for a Harley t-shirt, i would bet that most of the money stays here in the US anyway, with only a small portion going to the overseas factory.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand this but dont have to be happy about it. After all, if it is partially forgein made then why doesn't the damn prices reflect it at the dealership. As far as how long have I been riding A Haley. All my life because I wont ride anything else.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I like to buy American as much as possiable but the fact is these days it is becoming harder and harder to do so. I don't buy the argument that Mexico has better quality but as far as Harley Davidson Motorclothes are concerned most are excellent quality from what I have seen. The problem Harley has is that it is in business to make money and it has to be competitive just as any other business has to be. An FXRG jacket for example sells for $550.00 and is made in Indonesia. If it was made in the US it would likely cost $750.00 or more and very few people would buy them. The fact is also that the Harley you bought is approx. 25% made overseas. I am not trying to stir up anything here just trying to be reasonable. I would like my Electra Glide to be 100% American made but the fact is I couldn't afford it if it was. I am sure Harley would like to have remained 100% American made too but to survive as a busness they had no choice but to start using some foreign parts. Another fact is that most of the Japanese manufacturers are building bikes here and some use just as many american made parts as Harley Davidson. The way I see it is if Harley chooses to sell nothing but 100% American made motorcycles, parts, accessories and motorclothes they might as well close the dooors now because no one will be able to afford to buy from them anyway. Times have changed and it's not just Harley. Check out Ford, Chrysler, GM etc. It is the same thing there too. I buy and urge everyone else to buy American when you can and when you can afford too but this truely is a global economy and 100% American, Japanese, German or anything is getting harder and harder to do.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well said VRod...Very little is made entirely in the USA. . .and much that is, is actually assembled in the USA with foreign parts...thereby allowing legal claims of Made In The USA!

DaveP...if you go USA only, you gonna be dirty, stinking, nekked and walking with bare feet and ya ain't gonna have a scoot! Good concept but unrealistic. You been frozen for the last 20 years?

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
In all fairness, nothing wrong with overseas or across the border or whatever, AS LONG AS, the part(s) reflects quality vs price paid. Having said that, paying top dollar for ANY thing that carries the Bar & Shield logo, expectations are high.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hey…a really, really good leather jacket, top shelf, costs about $35 to $60 to manufacture, freight, clear customs and land at a warehouse in the USA. Additional cost is incurred with getting it to distribution points and then to retail but all in all, US$70. I know what I’m talking about. . .it’s my bidnez.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Flyer said:
In all fairness, nothing wrong with overseas or across the border or whatever, AS LONG AS, the part(s) reflects quality vs price paid. Having said that, paying top dollar for ANY thing that carries the Bar & Shield logo, expectations are high.
Now you've found the real cost...that darn logo!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I checked out some parts from Harley and they were made in Japan and said so right on the damn box. Just look at stickers on the box when you go to your stealer.

·
Registered
384 Posts
King Rider said:
Hey…a really, really good leather jacket, top shelf, costs about $35 to $60 to manufacture, freight, clear customs and land at a warehouse in the USA. Additional cost is incurred with getting it to distribution points and then to retail but all in all, US$70. I know what I’m talking about. . .it’s my bidnez.

Psst....Got any for sale at close to that cost? :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I remembered calling my uncles honda a rice burner, now to find that I to have one..

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Dave P said:
After all, if it is partially foreign made then why doesn't the damn prices reflect it at the dealership?
Uuuhhh......Dave, we're talking about harley here. You answered your own question. :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Next time you're browsing the parts section at your local dealer, notice the "Made in Taiwan" label on most stuff.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Everyone has great comments here...let's not forget that at least we can buy a Harley (mostly made in the USA, as pointed out earlier).

I've been to a lot of countries that 99.99999% of the people will never see, and believe me, we are blessed to live here!

About the oil...in my opionion, let's use up all of theirs before we resort to using up all of ours...I would rather see all of them keep their lifestyle living in the freak'n dirt in a decade, than have any of us do it...if they had their way, we would be lving in the dirt too...think about it...

:cool:

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
echodriver said:
.............'ve been to a lot of countries that 99.99999% of the people will never see, and believe me, we are blessed to live here!

:cool:
...Agree with your main point, but visit the Veterans Forum and we'll say maybe 75-80%... OK........ OK

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
hogg831 said:

...Agree with your main point, but visit the Veterans Forum and we'll say maybe 75-80%... OK........ OK
Hogg831...you're right, of course...I should have said 99.9999% of the non-military folks out there! Didn't mean to offend my brothers-in-arms!

Have a great day!
:)

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
King Rider said:

You'd be surprised what I got/get/have! Oh Hell, now I'm telling all my secrets!:D ;)
[/

Post it in the classified section...give us a shot.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts