V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 Ultra Classic and the CB digital display does not work. I assume the entire console runs the cb and intercom. If so Is there anyone that repairs these cb consoles. Or is there a replacement so I can have a CB and intercom. I was going to order some J&M Headsets but afraid once I get them they will not work since the CB console seems not to work. The backlighting works so I know it has power to it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Radio Sound repairs older Harley Radios, you send your unit in and they service and return it to you. We had the control pod on ours done, that is the unit on the tank. It provides the display for the cb, as well as the intercom and the rear speaker amplifier. Another problem we had was an almost constant noise in the rear speakers, quite common on those models. It is possible the cb is out but the intercom and rear speaker amplifier are working. The Harley 5 pin intercom should work with headsets from Honda, Yamaha and others so if you know someone with a 5 pin connector you can plug them in and check them out before you buy any headsets. If you check out the models at J&M to see which Yamahas share the same lower hook up cord you will know whcih models are the same. J&M made headsets for Harely prior to Radio Sound, they are familiar with them.

If you call Radio Sound and explain they will have their "guru" talk to you and explain how to check things out. He knows the part numbers, what voltages you should see and which parts have been obsoleted. You already know your HD dealer can check the units out and determine if they needed to be serviced. I never got responses via email from Radio Sound, I had to call them on the phone and the fellows name may have been Bill, who is their guru on the sound systems in the older Ultras. Radio Sound was an excellent company to work with, they were fast and did a good job.

http://www.radiosound.com/customer_service.htm

I would consider alternatives as well. J&M does make good products, we have 4 of their headsets. Likewise , as I posted Harley sells just the intercom for glides for less than $100.00. I think it costs about $179.00 to service the control pod on the tank ( the cb is under the tour pak )

Biketronics makes a retro radio kit that allows you to install a Sony radio and use your HD controls including the AVC. This opens up a wider range of speakers that will work as the newer radios don't need the old Harley 8 ohm ( some aftermarket speakers for Harley are 6 ohm ) speakers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts