V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have A 2002 flstc w/standard leather saddlebags. They have been cleaned often & never left outside. Even with all this loving care they are starting to sag. The bike only has 7500 miles on it. The dealer just goes blank when I ask about them & I have run out of ideas. HELP!!!!!!!

Jeff

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hi,

I have a few ideas for you. In the J&P Catalog (I'm sure others have this too) there is an item called the Bag Bar Leather Saddlebag Brace by Pro One. It's a flat bar that is about 2" wide that fits on the lip of the bag and straightens the sagging out. It's cheap at $23.00 for the pair. Part #65-421. It does look like it would be a pain-in-the-ass because you would have to remove it to access some stuff in the bag.

Here's another solution I heard around. Go to Walmart, Target, or your favorite store. Bring the bag with you inside. Look for the smaller, plastic garbage cans. Find one that will fit snugly inside your saddlebag. Take it home (after purchase :)) and trim the off top to fit. This should cure the problem and give you a nice structured bag.

I also heard about another idea, but have no idea how effective it is or what it will do to the saddlebag. You soak the bag. I mean soak well. You then pack the bag up with towels and T-shirts tightly and into the shape you want. You then let them dry out completely. Then you would shoe polish, condition and add mink oil. I have heard this makes it look new again.

Of the three, I would choose the trash basket route. They are pretty cheap at around $7.00 per basket. You could also add one of those saddlebag liners to it to make for a softer interior.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HARLEY BAGS

Thanks for the help & ideas. I looked at the Pro One thing & I think
some sort of liner ie.. trash can may help. The top sinking in is what
looks bad , so something to suport it from the inside will help. It is A shame that we need to work on this. You would think A set of $800.00 bags would last longer than this. I am not alone on this one , I have seen many sagy bags. I may go to Leather Lyke. But I would like to keep the OEM look.

Thanks

Jeff

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Re: HARLEY BAGS

jweaver said:
<snip> The top sinking in is what looks bad , so something to suport it from the inside will help. You would think A set of bags would last longer than this. I have seen many sagy bags.

Jeff
I'm thinking silicone bag implants. Works for the OLs as they begin to age. :D

·
BFFB
833 Posts
although my 3 year old hard bags for rc classic are not bad i have seen some tha t have warped badly on the back corner any one experience this and any suggestions ??

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ross said:
Hi,

I have a few ideas for you. In the J&P Catalog (I'm sure others have this too) there is an item called the Bag Bar Leather Saddlebag Brace by Pro One. It's a flat bar that is about 2" wide that fits on the lip of the bag and straightens the sagging out. It's cheap at $23.00 for the pair. Part #65-421. It does look like it would be a pain-in-the-ass because you would have to remove it to access some stuff in the bag.

I have these, except mine are home made. Mine are only about an inch wide and work great. They do tend to be a pain when you only have a couple little things in you bags, say a cell phone and t-shirt. But when you bags are stuffed with jackets and stuff for 2, i always put them in the bottom of the bags, since you don't need them. can't beat them for the price, especially if you can make them your self.

I made a little pic of mine, If you can cut a little peice of metal, you can bend it easy with a vice and hammer. then just file off the sharp edges.

OBTW I have 2 for each bag.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
harley bags

Thanks for your help. I will give this A look ! Also thanks for the time it took do the drawing

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts