V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
`05 FXDI
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know where else to post this and since I'm getting an error when I try to search the forums for this topic I'll just start a new thread here. Afterall, the brakes are on the wheel right? :)

05 FXDI. I have to apply a considerable amount of pressure on my rear brake when stopping. If anyone has ever driven an old Chevy C-series truck with the early model power brakes you'll know what I'm talking about. The brake is just plan stiff. The front brake seems okay though it is a little tough too. I was wondering what could be causing this and is there any adjustment? Cylinders and pads are stock. I recently upgraded to HD forward controls. It was a little easier before the upgrade but I doubt the controls have anything to do with it. I am able to get the back wheel to lock up but I almost have to stand on the brake. Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Sounds like air in the line. Try bleeding the rear brakes again.
And I always thought stiff was very responsive and mushy was what caused you to have to stand on the brake to make it work right.

·
`05 FXDI
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It more or less feels like the caliper's just won't compress. Air in the line might explain it. I'll try bleeding it this weekend. It's never been bled before so perhaps something happened during assembly at the stealer.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
I have never had air in brake lines and not felt sponginess in the pedal. One thing you might do (after you try a really good bleeding) is remove the rear caliper and check out the movement of the pistons when you depress the pedal very slowly. I don't know if one of them may be binding or cockeyed oe something....never know without taking it loose. If everything looks good, do a good cleaning and reinstall. (remember, you'll need a c-clamp to retract the piston).....slowly.

Very simple job skill wise. Also, if you have a friend who has the vacuum bleeder system, it works WONDERS. Just be sure and keep the master cylinder topped off so you don't suck air.

Good luck and let us know what you find. There are some real duty gurus in here so you'll probably get some expert advice. Mine is based on a relatively limited amount of wrenching experience on my bike...but I sure enjoy doing my own work when I can.

Semper Fi,
Steve....Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
Mighty-Vac sold at Sears and Harbor Freight for example is great for bleeding brakes.

Be very carful that you dont press the pison out, that would require a rebuild.

·
`05 FXDI
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I've got a busy Saturday with the motorcycle ministry so I'm hoping to get to it Sunday afternoon or maybe Saturday night. I'll be sure to update everyone afterwards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts