V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wll the "hard" fiberglass saddlebags which come on a regular raod king fit in a "classic" with leather bags with out Any mods? Will bags off of an older year fit? If I could get some used ones inexpensively I might use for certain trips since they lock and are a little bigger.

Ant thing to watch out for?

greg

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Greg,

Having just had my hard bags off to install a detachable rack and passenger backrest, I can tell you that the RK hard bag mounts are "twist pin" type mounts 13 inches apart on center. How to the soft bags mount on your RKC?

wyo

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Greg, I have the hard bags on my RK. I am also running a stock RKC seat for everyday use. I had to trim & restitch some of the "skirt" off of the seat so that it would not rub the forward part of the lid. Makes opening the lid a bit tricky, but not too bad once you get used to it.
Just my .02

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
twincamzz, I had same problem with my bag on right side rubbing against the seat. My RK also had the RKC seat instead of the stock seat. Yeah, you gotta be careful opening up the lids.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
They are the same.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Go to www.aeromach.net They have locks for the leather bags on the RKC. Price is a bit steep, at $149.00 but will secure the bags

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

I've seen these before. Nice idea, but the problem is that anybody that wants into the bag just has to lift the tail end up and slip an arm in! :eek:

from that link

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cromagnun/Harleyhog, i had seen these locks and was told by someome else you could still get into them.

Does anyone know how far back in years they are interchangeable?

greg

·
Registered
688 Posts
OK, maybe this lock won't secure sh!t. now that we got that out of the way, How do you secure the bags?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
cromagnum said:
OK, maybe this lock won't secure sh!t. now that we got that out of the way, How do you secure the bags?

That twist lock wire stuff around the inside edge of Bail head stud.
that is if your not too bothered about taking them off too often?Haven't done it myself, wash it too much over here. :eek:
Or you could wire them up to the security system somehow, connect a wire to em, break the connection, Alarm sounds?
Like they do in TV/Video shops.......but that'll be a whole new thread.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
gbenner said:

Does anyone know how far back in years they are interchangeable?
greg
I'm watching the reply's myself! :D
I take it that you meant the Hard vrs leather bags by the above?
(e-bay's a wonderfull place to pic up things other people don't want.) :D

As far as I know both will fit.
The only thing that would make me think twice is, if when HD changed the size of the back axle, was the swingarm's dimensions changed?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
cromagnum said:

Well, since you live in Utah, just put a sign on the outside of the bags that says.....

FREE MORMON LITERATURE

·
Registered
688 Posts
JimmyK, Yea, but then I gotta put up with the Mommys that will want to have their 10 children's picture sitting on my pride and joy. I THINK NOT!!!

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Brigham Young sent half of my mother's family north to Cor D'Alene, Idaho, the other half to the Paria River settlement.

While I'm not a practicing mormon, I'm not ashamed of my heritage.

wyo

·
Registered
18 Posts
gbenner said:
Wll the "hard" fiberglass saddlebags which come on a regular raod king fit in a "classic" with leather bags with out Any mods? Will bags off of an older year fit? If I could get some used ones inexpensively I might use for certain trips since they lock and are a little bigger.

Ant thing to watch out for?

greg
I have the hard bags on my 1999 FLHRCI and they fit fine. However, the stock classic seat will give you some problems when opening the bags. I have the HD Sundowner seat and all is well. The hard bags hold way more stuff and they handle the wet much better. With my original classic leather bags I had to be sure and pack everything in plastic bags.... not so with the hard bags. YMMV etc..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts