V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all... I finally got around to taking a few pics of my HARD KROME Xcelerator 2:1 "Double D's"... I love this system! If you have any questions, please let me know.

ibrowse-

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks so much for posting the pics! They look great, if you have heard Thunderheaders how do you compare the sound?

Thanks man!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. I have heard the Thunderheader pipes several times. In fact, I was going to go with them UNTIL I got turned-on to the Hard Krome product. The Hard Krome pipes sound MUCH better (deeper, lower, throaty sounding). It keeps the Harley sound intact. The Thunderheaders have a good sound but loose against the Hard Krome on looks (no heat shields), dyno testing, sound, and warranty for blu-ing. I have a couple of friends who have Thunderheaders. They both said they want to upgrade to the Hard Kromes after hearing mine.
Hope this helps!

ibrowse-

·
Registered
246 Posts
Is the HK louder than the Thunderheader? I like the sound level of the TH but the Double D pipes from HK is way to loud (for me).

Thanks again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't say if they are "louder" but the HK has a deeper, more throaty sound if that makes sense. I have put 200 miles on since having the HD pipes installed; The sound is perfect; not so loud people all around are pissed at you. Also, since they aim straight back, most of sound is behind you anyway. My ears have not had that rining sound at all.

ibrowse-

·
Out Riding
70 Posts
ibrowse said:

The sound is perfect; not so loud people all around are pissed at you.

ibrowse-
Do you think that a person could sneak down the street early in the morning without waking up the neighbors?
After looking through catalogs and web surfing I decided that I want want those same pipes on my bike, but I have some good neighbors and don't want to get them pissed off at me.
I don't know how much longer I can put up with the stock exhaust.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
ibrowse said:
Hi all... I finally got around to taking a few pics of my HARD KROME Xcelerator 2:1 "Double D's"... I love this system! If you have any questions, please let me know.

ibrowse-
would my detachable saddlebags on my Fatboy work with either the Sideburners or Xcellerators?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
JagmanR said:
would my detachable saddlebags on my Fatboy work with either the Sideburners or Xcellerators?
If your bags the same size and fit as stock Heritage bags...they
will not fit when running the sideburner
The collector is too big
Can't speak for the Xcelerator though

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Have you just installed the pipes, or did you rejet and upgrade the air cleaner as well (hard to tell since you have the stock cover on the air cleaner)?

They look great, can't wait to put mine on! :D :D

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Just spoke to someone at HK re: the Xcellerator and Sideburners. He said that there are no more Xcell's available till the end of the year due to a style change. He mentioned they were doing something with the end cap to enhance their appearance. I really didn't think they need enhancing, but he "said" that's why they took them out of stock. Seems kind of odd to me.

They also said Sideburners were not available till end of July but to check with distributors.

They are great looking pipes, but I didn't get off the phone with them with a good feeling. The call to them to discuss pipes vs the call to VH was miles apart in terms of proffessionalism and helpfulness.

I will still check around and see if there are any of the two models at their dealers warehouses.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Questions

ibrowse said:

ibrowse-
How loud are they compared to the SE slip ons (if you know)? Improved performance? How much did they cost you?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts