V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 9 months ago I bought a wreaked 87 FLHTP for $1000.00. It was REALLY bent and broken but would spin with the starter, the wiring was trashed from the accident and that was the only thing that semi-worked. Anyhow I pounded out the dents and fixed the wiring while gathering the parts needed to make her ride again...needed to see how far apart it I have to take it. Had A LOT of help from friends with donated parts and finally got it fired, shortly after that I took her out for a "test ride". Ran like a raped ape...DAMN FAST, wicked SCARY handling....but you could make the steering "light" at will in 2nd and 3rd. Rode it for a month or so doing local short stuff accessing what needed to be done to "bring her back". Stuff happens and long story short I FINALLY got to tearing Alma down (her name) and pulled the engine down and out of the frame. There's some rust on the frame that needs to be addressed and the frame shop needs a bare frame to check and/or repair the frame.

She has an S&S 96" stroker kit with matching super stock heads. From what I can find that'll put'er around 115hp and 115tq.....

THIS BIKE IS GONNA BE FUN WHEN ITS DONE!

As I got her

At time of test ride

Today

·
Registered
16,600 Posts
Keep us updated on the rebuild.

We love this shyt.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, he did the low bid and high shipping thing. I ask for local pick up and he said yes. I got the tank, front fender, both side covers, both saddlebags, tourpack, seat, rider backrest, gauge pod, and tank console with working locks and keys for $10.00 per piece...the opening bid. I had to drive to Portland and back (610 miles) to get them. Retired and have time and it was $110.00 in gas. All the other stuff was found local for cheap. Deals are out there if you're willing to wait.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Frame is bare and ready for a degreasing, parts are all bagged, tagged, and put away. I need to get a parts washer to get everything de-gunked and looking clean and well kept. LOTSA polishing to do.....hahaha. It aint gunna be a mirror, but it'll pass at 20 feet!! I want her to wear her 33 years well. I found the main source for the wicked handling...the pillow blocks/rubber isolators? are distorted badly and one has a wallowed hole, that and the retaining nut wasn't even finger tight, and it looks like it's been that way for awhile. :oops:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It must get chilly up there I noticed the cover over the grill of the truck.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk
Nope, that's just an old billet grill....I'm in socal desert now. We go back and forth between here and NE Oregon, we will be in socal for awhile now though, we're takin care of aging mom's, hers and mine. Although it does hit freezing and below here from time to time, but the days are bearable....hit 66* today!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On another note...I screwed up today and bought compound and a fiber wheel for the grinder. Got it setup and played a little today.........maybe the pieces will be like a mirror...HAHAHAHA! It sure does shine up fast that way!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dropped the frame of for truing and I'm lettin them fix the rust I found...I could have done it but I needed to buy a tig machine to be happy with the repair. Should get it back around the 1st.

On another note....I've been playin with the buffer setup....lol

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dr John called this morning, frames done, will pick it up Monday. He said that it had a twist to it but that it straightened out nicely. He ended up replacing the whole lower pillow block mounts on both sides and updated them to drain moisture rather than trapping it. The Moco figured it out with the later frames and left it open also.....WooHoo!!

My special order utility sink came in today, that was the only way I could get the $30.00 price although they have the same one on the floor....some internet thing. I got it to be my parts washer, the other day I found a 5 gallon bucket parts washer thing on CL for $20.00....and dammit it works like a champ and I only have $57.00 in it. I'm not done with the final design but it does exactly what I wanted. Oh and I had to try it out!! Everything is cleaning up well and I have some swingarm repair to do because a gorilla tightened the sht out of the axle bolt.

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
That swing arm problem is common, I'm dealing with a similar issue on one of my bikes. A search of this site will provide valuable info on that.
Nice thread, keep updates coming.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Frames home!! The rusted pieces were replace with factory HD ones....I have no idea where he got them and he was kinda tight lipped about it. There is a bracket that I have to cut off on the right side (no application on my bike), but it looks like there was never any rust and now I know the frame is dead straight!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts