V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at maybe getting new bars for my SG and was wondering what others have done with this. I don't want anything high and am pretty much satisfied with the height of the stock bars, but I'm looking for something that doesn't look out of place and would prefer something I don't have to reach as far for.

I tried putting my hands out near the end of the grips just to get a feel for it and found it to be more comfortable.

If possible I'd like to avoid having to mess around with changing out cables and such. Don't have the time for it and too cheap to pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wanted to do the same thing on my '05 Super Glide Custom. Kinda limited on bars though because of the bar-mounted gauges. It was suggested at a dealer that I could go with the bars off a Wide Glide and rotate them back a bit. Without switching out the tank and moving the gauges, not alot you can do with H-D parts. I was told to also check at a customizing shop to see what they would suggest.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I didn't like the way I had to lean forward with the standard bars on my '03 SG; I wanted the grips closer to me. I looked at putting on the pull-back risers, but they would have tilted the gauges up vertical. None of the Harley bars seemed to have just the right combniation of rise, pullback and width.

So I finally found a 1" bar from Flanders. I don't have the specs in front of me, but it has the same inner width, rise and tip-to-tip width. It has more pull back. I didn't have to change any of the control cables, but I did have to reroute them to get the proper fit. I ended up getting longer brake lines when I went to dual brakes up front.

Take the four measurements of your stock bar, then go to the Flanders website and see what they have to offer. You'll probably find something that suits you.

Here's what mine looks like.
http://www.compusolutions.com/harley/

·
Registered
575 Posts
I had to change the bars on my '05 FXD. Had to reach too far to grab on, and I'm 6' tall. I settled on the run-of-the-mill HD buckhorns. Forget the part number. I had to 'trick' the brake line and the clutch cable had to be rerouted outside the fork leg, but they work much better for me.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I switched out my 95 Buckhorns for Drag Bars. I really like the look, but wish that they were a little closer to me. I changed my SG tank to a Low Rider Tank, and I put a FXR idiot light handlebar clamp. I am not done yet.

·
Registered
479 Posts
jrehm said:
Looks good, but the wires look a little shorter than they should (hard to tell from the pics). Is it me or did the wires come out a tad shorter than normal?
The Flanders bar does not have the holes drilled in the bottom for the clips that hold the wires in place, so they aren't routed under the bars and that gave me some of the extra length needed. I also pulled out some slack on the wires from under the tank. The wires are stretched, but there is no strain on them. I tie-wrapped the turn signal and control wires together in a couple of spots.

If you want a different look you'll have to buy longer wire sets or splice in extensions and hide them under the tank.

·
Hearse Driving Weirdo
141 Posts
I have the bars off of a Heritage Softail on mine and they are great! We rode (wife and I) about 1800 miles in a week with them and I never was fatigued.

I did have to get a longer brake line (I just got one off of a Softail as well), but otherwise everything fits 'ok'. The clutch cable could be a little longer, but it's all going away when I get my new apes anyways.

·
2003 SpringDyna
87 Posts
once I put the mustang seat on my 03 SG eveything feel into place. I still would like to change them out for black poswder coat. Say did you change the pics of you fixed up bike nothing comes up?

·
Premium Member
6,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FXD-Tim said:
The Flanders bar does not have the holes drilled in the bottom for the clips that hold the wires in place, so they aren't routed under the bars and that gave me some of the extra length needed. I also pulled out some slack on the wires from under the tank. The wires are stretched, but there is no strain on them. I tie-wrapped the turn signal and control wires together in a couple of spots.

If you want a different look you'll have to buy longer wire sets or splice in extensions and hide them under the tank.
I'm thinking of something about the same as stock with maybe an inch more pullback and maybe an inch more height. I think that would do it, but perhaps more pullback and width would better serve me. I'm gonna go by the dealer and check out different models and see if any bars suit me, but I like the idea of a fatter bar, so I'm gonna give Flanders a call also.

·
Registered
479 Posts
45leadslinger said:
Say did you change the pics of you fixed up bike nothing comes up?
I had trouble uploading to my website - the Front Page extensions got messed up and had to be re-installed. Then I had to re-publish everything. The pictures are coming up OK here as of a couple of minutes ago. Try hitting your Refresh button.
HTH

·
Registered
15 Posts
accutronix guage mount adapters

Looking at the photo of the accutronix guage mount and the stock set up, (05 superglide), I still can't figure out how the speedo mounts. Any info or pics would be appreciated.
TB

·
Registered
46 Posts
thomblack
Looking at the photo of the accutronix guage mount and the stock set up, (05 superglide), I still can't figure out how the speedo mounts. Any info or pics would be appreciated.
TB

TB,
I was having the same issue when looking at the Accutronix site that you were until I brought a couple of riding buddies in to look at it. They pointed out that if you look at the mount on the site, look at the picture showing both clamps, prior to clicking on the pic and blowing it up. If you look closely, you can see the speedo will mount on the "top" of the mount as shown. This way, you can use this mount, run the risers up through the main holes and mount the speedo on the edge away from you as you sit on the bike. Make sense??? Looking at a pic of my '05 SGC, makes sense and would give me the option of using bars with risers and still being able to mount the speedo.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
thomblack - the unit is two piece and clamps around the handlebar "riser" using the large holes, the tabs w/ the smaller screws point forward on the bike. You're gauge assembly will mount to those smaller holes. Remember that the bar clamp on the stock setup will go away with "t-bars".

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mount clarification

eod_blaster,
Thanks for the clarification on that. I appreciate it. I've always had others do my mechanical work on cars, but with the bike purchase, I've started doing as much as I can myself. My knowledge is still very limited, but I'm getting there. Really a satisfying feeling to handle part swaps or maintenance on my bike myself. Thanks again.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The bars on the new model XL1200L may be just the bars we are all looking for. They should look better than the bars from the Softtail Standard because they are more narrow.

Tom :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The new Super Glide bars are similar. Sat on one the other day and I'm still on the fence about the bars. I'd like to keep the width of my stock bars with maybe an inch more height and pull back. That would be just about right for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts