V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at swapping out the stock handlebars for either apes or better fitting bars on my '00 Heritage. I've got long arms and legs and like kicking back when I ride and the current set up literally gives me pain in my shoulder after 5-10 miles. Anyone got any friendly advice that's been there? Also, feedback on who makes the best set of braided brake lines for an ape set up would be appreciated.

Bonus question -- anyone know of an aftermark mini-tach, smaller than the one HD markets, that bolts through the riser clamp? The HD mini isn't and I'm looking for something sleek yet functional.

TIA

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi there HB,

From my name you know what I like. I have a set of Cyclesmith 16 in. fat apes, I used the 1 in. buffalo riser made by White Bros. The riser fills the notch in the fat bars perfectly. My blinkers were on the handlebars before and I decided to relocate them to the forks, all other wire are inside the bars. I replaced my brake line and all cables with braided, I think barnett or CCI maybe.

This will be an expensive episode for ya. Especially if you don't do the work.

Bars $170.00
Billet grips $85.00
risers $110.00
Braided brake line $40-60
throttle cable, idle cable, clutch cable $40-60 each
blinker relocation kit $50
wiring and controls $140.00 (you can solder in exrensions but it's a pain)
total 795.00 plus tax already There are some gaskets and fluids invloved when you replace the clutch cable also... Wrench labor add another $180-250.00

Is it worth it to you... maybe... for me it was. I am 6'3" and ride a FXST (Softail Standard). I lined the bars up with the forks originally (34 deg) but they felt a bit to close for me. I now have them almost vertical now and would not consider going back. I have put in a 300 mile day comfortably. Plus they are freakin' cool as he!!....

Hope this helps and Good Luck,
Ape

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Bob,

I too, like Ape, have 16" apes on my Wide Glide. I'm only 5'7" but find them very comfortable pushed a little forward but not quite vertical. They're in the stock risers. The Dyna's seat is a little higher and th 16" bars make my arms parallel to the ground when I ride. I also would not consider going back to stock or drag bars. I had Goodridge braided/coated lines installed, moved my signals to the forks, and routed the wires through the bars for a clean install. Total cost (I did not do the work myself) was just a hair under 600.00 so it's not cheap, but was worth it to me. Good luck.

Tony:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts