V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some non-hd aftermarket chrome switch housings off of Ebay. They look ok, but were not masterfully crafted to match the original. I am trying to figure out how to unassemble the brake side lower switch cover housing, looks rather complicated. Anyone ever done this? Is this covered in the service manual? I guess I'm going to have to buck up and get one.

Thanks - Z

·
Registered
306 Posts
The best thing I have done in a long time is to spend the $60-70 and buy the factory service manual. Don't buy the cheap ones, spend the dollars and get the Harley one, it matters.

·
Registered
312 Posts
just got chrome switch houses, looked at them then decided to have the dealer install at scheduled service, they charged for 3 hours labor, but spent 2 days, the old skrews in the houses locked up and striped on them...better them then me. After watching them suffer i guess it was worth the little bit o cash.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3 hours, wow. I think they're hosing you. I have never even seen a Harley switch housing until this weekend and swapped mine out in 45 minutes after I got the manual. Granted, the mechanics at your dealer may have never done it before, but it's not rocket science by any means.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Not too worried about it. Its the only dealer within about 100 miles of me that is cool. All the service and sales have been more then fair so far. Only b**** is they don't take service appointments. But they are a tiny compared to the giant dealers that charge 25,000 for a stock 883. hehe

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
blackwhisper said:
But they are a tiny compared to the giant dealers that charge 25,000 for a stock 883. hehe
...sounds like they make up for it in service though. 3 hours for that job is outrageous. It's like 2 or three screws per side and a little monkeying around with theswitches. I agree....45 minutes even if they had do dig the screws out....that's an extra 2 minutes with a dremel, they don't get reused.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts