V-Twin Forum banner

Handlebar Rewiring Problem

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Oaktown 
#1 ·
OK, a dumb question. I'm swapping the mini apes on my FXDWG for 16 inch apes. But a complication. After listening to the good advice from many of you on other threads, I decided that I needed to splice the extra wiring into my front wiring harness. According to my trusty shop manual, I need to access the harness service loop (basically just extra wire looped and tucked into a well accessable through the inside of the rear fender). Once I untuck the harness service loop, I'm supposed to have lots of extra wire so that I can pull out and access the front harness hidden inside the frame tube. I removed my belt guard as per the manual. I pulled off the fender flap. The well contains a host of shrouded wires. Problem is, I can't pull the fu(king thing out. I mean, no way it wants to come out. It doesn't even want to budge. Do I just reef on the thing until something (probably my knuckles against the fender) gives? Or is there some trick to this? Or did I screw something up? What the hell is up? Advice wanted. Sarcastic criticism tolerated (it looks like a three year old should be able to do this).... Thanks all.

#4 ·
Is it cable tied anywhere?

#5 ·
I cut every tie that I could find. According to the shop manual the harness service loop easily pulls out. But since it's tucked so tight inside the well in the rear fender all I can do is grope around. It's jammed in really tight. I understand that, once I pull this loop out, I can then pull the wire forward out of the front of the frame tube....

#6 ·
There should be a pic in the FM showing you how many and where the ties are?
Count'im.....

#8 ·
If I remember there are no less than 3 conectors in there at the front. There is alot I mean alot of wire in there for other Dyna's because they all use the same harness. The FXDWG will have less, but some is there to be had Im sure. Once all the wire is out it moves back & forth freely, you then know you got it all.

#12 ·
Got that one, thanks. I'm finished the wiring and plan to finish the rest of the job today (if I can find the time--my wife dumped the kids on me and took off for an afternoon of shopping). Clutch cable and throttle/idle cables to go. I just installed a Mikuni HSR42 so the throttle/idle cables will be pretty easy. I haven't replaced a clutch cable before but it looks fairly straight-forward (I'm half way through). I thought I might write a long submission giving my own version of handlebar swap tips and traps. If I do, will it be of use to anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.