V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've been doing some research on getting some 1 1/4" Ape Hangers for my FXSTBI. I'm leaning towards 10" or 12" Apes. I like the look of the HD Fat Mini Apes (kinda wish they had a 12" version so I'd have an option). I especially like that they aren't too wide (center width of 10" and tip-to-tip of 34") compared to the Wild1 515's and 502's. The Wild1 bars seem to fallow the vertical lines of a FL front end, not a narrow FX style front end.

The only problem I have with the HD Mini Apes is the little taper where the bar goes from thick to thin for the hand controls. It looks ugly to me. I'd prefer it to look seemless. Like instead of a taper, the thick part just ends so it butts right up against the hand controls. Does anyone know of any good bars like what I've described? I've looked through Wild1, Drag Specialties, J&P Cycles and White Brothers catalogs with no luck. Also don't want to buy a set of el-cheapo bars that might break on me either.

Also, kinda a noob question, but when a handlebar listing says it is "Dimpled", what does that mean? Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
dont know about the first question but i know FLANDERS makes nice bars
reall nice quality my sporty had there broomstick bars thay were mint....
dimpled means it has a patch of metel wear it clamps to the risors kinda like sandpaper on the metal and it graps the clap for the risers more tightly
thay kinda dig in to the underside of the clamp to hold it real tight
i would go with bars with dimples.. and wait a sec aps on a train
from a train owner to another whats that about :) just askin....
i actually would like a set of hd 16 inch aps but i cant ever leave my drags
i actually baught broomstick bars for my train no pullback whatsoever

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
midnight sporty said:
dimpled means it has a patch of metel wear it clamps to the risors kinda like sandpaper on the metal and it graps the clap for the risers more tightly thay kinda dig in to the underside of the clamp to hold it real tight i would go with bars with dimples.
I thought that was called having the bars "knurled". Like the diamond shaped checker pattern, providing a non-slip tecture etc. Are they one in the same?

midnight sporty said:
and wait a sec aps on a train from a train owner to another whats that about :) just askin....
I like the look of Drag Bars, don't get me wrong, but I do alot of long rides (100 miles round trip commute for work) so Apes would provide me better comfort. Plus, imo, the main appeal of drag bars is the posture/attitude they put the rider in, all stretched out and forward etc. Good for short rides, not for long ones. Yes, I can get drag bars with more pull back, giving better posture for long rides, but that would cancel out the attitude drag bars provide. Ape's provide comfort, posture and attitude all in one package. Plus, everyones got drag bars on their FX's, especially FXSTB's. Ape's on a Softail looks alot more old-school in my opinion. I'm going for a nice mix of old and new school with my skoot.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
yeah sorry your right dimples are just two dimples look like a ball hammer hit the bar wear the clamps down same concept as dimples same reason why there there for, sorry for the dimple mix up ohh i think apes would look hot on a train also if thay were black ohh yeah nice trains are the hot ticket

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
petrock said:
So I've been doing some research on getting some 1 1/4" Ape Hangers for my FXSTBI. I'm leaning towards 10" or 12" Apes. I like the look of the HD Fat Mini Apes (kinda wish they had a 12" version so I'd have an option). I especially like that they aren't too wide (center width of 10" and tip-to-tip of 34") compared to the Wild1 515's and 502's. The Wild1 bars seem to fallow the vertical lines of a FL front end, not a narrow FX style front end.

The only problem I have with the HD Mini Apes is the little taper where the bar goes from thick to thin for the hand controls. It looks ugly to me. I'd prefer it to look seemless. Like instead of a taper, the thick part just ends so it butts right up against the hand controls. Does anyone know of any good bars like what I've described? I've looked through Wild1, Drag Specialties, J&P Cycles and White Brothers catalogs with no luck. Also don't want to buy a set of el-cheapo bars that might break on me either.

Also, kinda a noob question, but when a handlebar listing says it is "Dimpled", what does that mean? Thanks in advance...
Have you checked out Carlini or Burly? Carlini is an awesome bar. 5x chrome plating. I have (not an ape mind you) a Carlini bar on my bike and its nice. They do make some apes and so does Burly which would be a second choice for me if Carlini didn't have the bar I was looking for.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I would take a look at www.cyclesmiths.com I had them on my old fatboy, They fit the bike perfectly. I had the 13 in(i believe). They look great and i think it exactly what you are looking for...check them out....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts