V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I performed a search, but with no results. Just bought a new pair of Handlebar grips and the instructions are kinda vague and refer me to my service manual (which I do not have yet). How do I pull off the old ones and install the new ones? Figured you guys would have some tips not found elsewhere. Does not seem to be that hard, just curious before I go downstairs and start taking things apart. Thanks again for your replies to these simple questions.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I cut em off. If your not into how long it takes, use a hair dryer get them hot after you use a small screwdriver to break the glue. They pull of slow. Get the new one hot too, inless you glue them, the glue acts like lube and they slip on.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks anyway Kags, I just came up after installing them. I guess the procedures I was looking for was the steps in taking apart the switch assembly (throttle). I figured it out though. Needed to remove two torx screws that separate the switch cluster. I then loosened the cable adjusters (under the rubber boots in vicinity of the right turn signal light). This gave me enough play to work free the cables from the throttle. Whole unit slid off and then I just reversed the procedure. Lastly adjusted the tension on the cables. The left side required me to take apart the left switch cluster as well. Original grip was set into a channel under the switch cluster. I then took a box cutter knife, slit the grip and peeled it off. I then took some sand paper to the bar and then wiped the whole thing down with alcohol. While this was drying I smeared the supplied glue inside the new grip and onto the bar. Slid the grip on and adjusted it to match the right side, held it there for a few minutes....was starting to adhere really fast. Re-installed the left switch cluster and then fired the bike up. Had to fine-tune the throttle cable adjustment a little, but other than that, the install went well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts