V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK fellas I am gonna replace the black crap on my sporty with Chrome Smooth-Contour Handlebar Controls from J&P

I am gonna also put on a chrome braided brakline at the same time, anything I should know or consider (like maybe doing a internal wiring job inside the bars) before I wade into this project :confused:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wish ya luck.....crappy fitting aftermarket crap. I know Im new here and Im gonna get flamed for this BUT is this some sort of JP cycles suck up forum or what?

calvin3

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Calvin. indeed you are new here.

The founder/administrator of this forum, a Mr. Price graciously provides this service to anyone who chooses to use it, free of charge.His expenses are paid by himself.I see nothing wrong with a few advertisements to help defray the cost of keeping this forum afloat, do you?

As far as Misguided asking about chrome handlebar controls, he was asking for the members opinion, nothing more, nothing less. Misguided happened to choose J&P cycle, a well respected mail order company. Capish??
guido

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Calvin3, I'm not going to flame you for your opinion on J&P cycles. But I will say this....they carry parts from almost all of the big name suppliers. I have ordered many many parts from them and have been happy with their service and the parts. They will except a return on items that aren't what you are expecting. They may not have the very cheapest parts in the world but not too bad. To me there are other alternatives to genuine HD parts. Some aftermarket parts are better, cheaper, and some are parts that HD doesn't offer but maybe should. I don't know if you are commenting on the specific parts that misguided posted a picture of or if you are just generalizing. If you are just generalizing I can say that you would be surprised at all the quality parts that are available from aftermaket suppliers. You must be thinking of JCWhitney. LOL. Believe me....even some genuine Harley parts aren't that great. Like the brakes and forks ect.. Just coincidence that they are Japanese parts I'm sure.

Hey, your opinions are welcome here but chill out dude....you don't have to insult the whole forum to get your opinions across. If you have a bad opinion of a part or a vendor, we'd like to hear it. But insulting the forum or it's members, well ...like they say about America..."Love it or leave it. Thanks for the visit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I guess all Im really trying to say is it dosen't really matter if the part is from Drag, Chrome Specialties, CCI or JP (check your part numbers cause CCI and JP are the same) those controls never fit right.

As for my opinion on JP so much for supporting your local shops huh? On every thread that I have read on here I see atleast one post about someone complaining about the prices at the dealers. I guess ya get what ya pay for. And he even posts an ad for dealers to advertise on here. Do any dealers really advertise on here? Believe me I know the quality of good aftermarket parts I sell "good ones" everyday.

calvin3

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
calvin3 said:
I guess all Im really trying to say is it dosen't really matter if the part is from Drag, Chrome Specialties, CCI or JP (check your part numbers cause CCI and JP are the same) those controls never fit right.

As for my opinion on JP so much for supporting your local shops huh? On every thread that I have read on here I see atleast one post about someone complaining about the prices at the dealers. I guess ya get what ya pay for. And he even posts an ad for dealers to advertise on here. Do any dealers really advertise on here? Believe me I know the quality of good aftermarket parts I sell "good ones" everyday.

calvin3
I guess I understand better now what you are saying. If you know that those controls don't fit right I'm glad you stated it.

I'm not sure I follow you on the advertising and the dealers thing and how it relates to this forum though.

Now as far as supporting the local dealers....I support them when they have a part at a competitive price . They offer some excellent parts. But blindly buying a part from an HD dealer at an inflated price because of the HD logo just doesn't fit in my way of doing the best with my dollar. Some of the same parts that HD sells are made for the aftermarket by the same manufacturer without the logo at a cheaper price.. And like I said, I have bought excellent quality parts that were'nt HD over the years. This is the free enterprise system here and if HD want's to be competitive in prices without depending on the blind HD logo customers I'm sure that they can compete. Untill they do, I'm shopping around. That's the good thing about this forum....we can help each other to know what parts are good and which ones are not. This way we don't have to just blindly buy the inflated HD logo'd parts if we don't have to. Thanks for your input.

Later,

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Misguided, I personally would like a full report on how those controls fit and how they hold up. Who knows....I may want to chrome out my controls one day.

Thanks,

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The only thing I will say about this is when I order parts from my dealer it takes 2 friggin weeks, when I ordered from J&P (once) it took 3 days.

Now what I originally asked for was some tech know how? anybody?

The fact that you say they never fit right is the kind of info I am looking for. I will look at the hd site and see what they have and for how much $, but the two week wait will kill me if I go that route :(

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Re buying on line vs local:

The traffic in the DC area SUCKS BIG TIME

If I can get it on-line, I'm there. I'd done all my Xmas shopping on-line for the last 3 years.

$0.02

wyo

·
Registered
297 Posts
When we were re-doing my bike, we changed the controls from the small button style to the large button style. I went with the black ones instead of chrome, didn't want to be cleaning the fingerprints off all the time. Anyway my controls are aftermarket, I don't remember where they came from, but they fit just fine, we didn't have any problems with them, but then again my handlebars are also aftermarket:)

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
calvin3 said:

calvin3

Calvin3,

Welcome aboard to our forum. As for your J&P comments, you are entitled to your opinions. We have nothing against dealers or other manufacturers of parts and accessories. We are here SOLELY for members to interact and share opinions/information about their motorcycles.

And yes, Mr. Guido is absolutely correct when he says this service is absolutely free. For what its worth, J&P Cycles banner pays .25 for everyone that clicks on it and signs up. As you can see, we have only two advertisers on the site, and their contributions don't even pay the recurring hosting fees.

We have no dealer advertising at the moment. That would call for a dealer that would have to cater to customers that will voice their opinion on this forum.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Clutch

Misguided, you did not state clutch cable but if you doing everything else you might want to concider this as well. My whole front is chromed and braided.

My helpful tidbit is this. If you end up putting on a braided clutch cable you might want to place a tie strap around the lever and handle, this keeps the lever up against the handle to help break in the new cable for a few nights. The lever is difficult to pull in. My HD dealer did this little trick while my bike was being built. Your hands might get fatigued from trying to pull the level in.

Joe

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Clutch

flycasterjoe said:
Misguided, you did not state clutch cable but if you doing everything else you might want to concider this as well. My whole front is chromed and braided.

My helpful tidbit is this. If you end up putting on a braided clutch cable you might want to place a tie strap around the lever and handle, this keeps the lever up against the handle to help break in the new cable for a few nights. The lever is difficult to pull in. My HD dealer did this little trick while my bike was being built. Your hands might get fatigued from trying to pull the level in.

Joe
Thanks Joe, good idea and tip. What kind of chrome replacements did you use? Any problems? The clutch cable might have to wait a little for more $, as it stands if I get the parts from J&P its gonna cost me about $350 for what I mentioned plus ISO grips.............

The question I have for calvin3, which I posted in another thread is, how could these not fit properly if they come in a whole unit?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
calvin3 may have saved me some $$$$

I checked out what HD had on their site

This kit includes a chrome-plated clutch bracket, handlebar control clamps, master cylinder cover and hardware to completely finish chroming the hand controls on '96-later models. Combine with chrome-plated Switch Housing Kit P/N 70222-96 to finish the look.

both kits for $70 less than the stuff from J&P, so the question is, is the instant gratification worth $70, or wait for the the 10-14 days for the dealer to get the parts?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I vote wait the 10-14

I'd wait the 10-14 just my .02 I try to take the ol' dollar as far as I can. You could get something else to put on the ol' bike wit 70$...I just picked up a NOS solo seat for 20$ and some sweet billet mirrors for 50$ to replace the stock ones (god bless ebay). That and I plan on using the HD ones you have posted there myself so eventually I'll be waiting the 10-14.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ok everyone lets see if I can fit this all in one post....YES I do work for a dealer (they will remain nameless for now) Its on the west coast about as far as you can get from the factory. I can get parts from HD within 4-5 days! The only thing that really laggs is paint work (speaking of paint work silver and black red, white and blue for the 03's). We place orders with HD daily! I don't know whats up with your dealers but 14-15 days is ridiculous!

As for me Ive been in this business for going on 12 years (4 years in a aftermarket shop 8 years at a dealer) Im a lonely parts guy :D

As for those controls......I have ordered those controls before for customers from CCI and I have had to return them because the switch housings don't fit like HD's. There are gaps between the switch halfs. Misguided when you looked up those parts on HD's site you will also need chrome levers 45075-96 $75.95. If your going to change the cables to braided I suggest Barnett with clear coating.

I hope this clears up any confusion I have caused.

Yeah I said silver and black -- Red, White and Blue for the 2003's

calvin3

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Hey Misguided,

The HD ones that you just found are the ones I am running. They are nice and the price is right for a change.

DON'T FORGET TO INSERT A PIECE OF CARDBOARD ON YER BRAKE HANDLE !!!! Or you may screw up the boot.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Grips

Since it's kind of a related subject......I bought some billet grips from E-Bay (Ness Flamed grips to match my dash panels) and am wondering how hard it is to change them. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult and my local "Harley Guy" said he would charge me about 1/2 hour labor. Is it difficult and if not, how do you do it? Thanks in advance.....

Tony:cool:

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Left side is a no brainer. Remove old grip, clean bar, replace adhesive and reinstall new grip.

Right side is easy as well. Remove tension from throttle cables. Remove cables from grip. (Two small wires at end that fit in slots at the bottom of the grip.) Reinstall wires to new grip. Reinstall switch cover assy.

When you remove the brake lever, place a small piece of cardboard into the slightly depressed brake lever to avoid messin up your boot.

Save the 1/2 labor charges and invest in a Mx Manual. You will be glad you did and it will take you through it step by step.

Best to ya!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts