V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove my trees ........how does the wiring come out short of cutting it all? Can you remove the wire from the plugs under the tank? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Might help to know what bike you are talking about but anyway, there is never any need to cut wires. The wiring can always be removed from the connectors. I assume you don't have a service manual so first suggestion would be to get one of them and if your bike is 02 or later, also get the Electrical manual (or whatever they call it) to go along with it. The manual/s will tell you everything you need to know including how to remove the wiring from a connector.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. BTW,my bike is a 94 heritage. Maybe if you loaned me the money,I'd go to my local doctor and lawyer dealer here and buy a manual. I was just tryin to get a little help,that's all. At least you answered my post........first time anyone has here. At least at my full size jeep board everyone tries to help.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
In your case you WILL need to cut the wires. Even with a terminal removal tool I can never get the wires out without damaging the terminals. It can be done, I just always seem to fuk it up. If you have a lightbar still, you should only need to worry about the turn signal wires, spot lamp wires, and head light. They all have 2 wires each, except the head light has 3 (hi/ow and ground). They are under your right side tank. Its a good idea to leave an inch of wire at the connection so you can match the colors back up for the head light. The turn signal wires are all black though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply! I'm an autobody tech by trade and am familiar with wiring,but I just couldn't see any way to remove the terminals from the plug. I bought this bike wrecked and am just trying to get it going. Once again,thanks for the reply. I was about to give up on this board!

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Someone did try to help, there is lots of information in the manual that can not be shown on the forum. This is the best HD forum, sorry you don't like it. Did you buy the bike to fix and ride or sell ?????

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never said I didn't like this forum.........just that I was dissapointed in not getting many replies. I know I need a manual,I just don't have the bucks right now. I need a front end worse than I need a manual!!! I didn't buy to sell,I bought to ride. I just can't afford mega thousands for a new bike. I bought this one for a price that I can afford.......just gonna take some work and about 2000 bucks to get it riding again. Once again,I'm not tryin to flame this board,ya know?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for the replies. Yeah,the bike took a good shot in the front. I'm gonna need everything from the trees on down,some sheetmetal and odd and end brackets and so forth. I'm gonna go with as much used as I can. I can do all my metal and paint work and quite a bit of the mechanical. It's gonna be sweet fixed. It's a Nostalgia,so there's not as many around as there are Fatboys. I like the old look and am going back 99% stock with the gangster wwalls and all the fender rails and trim.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The downtubes are bent some,but the steering neck doesn't show any stress or cracks at the welds. A friend of mine has built several bikes and he's been able to straighten all of his,so he's gonna help me some. Tying it down to pull is the hard part. Pulling the tubes back isn't a problem. As long as steering rake is correct,it shouldn't be a problem.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Good luck on that one, don't know if I would feel safe on a straightened frame.......................I know someone on a slightly bent frame, goes down the road sideways.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the reply. I can understand the safety factor ver y well. At the same time,I've done body and frame repair for 30 years now. I've always been careful with my work as thousands of peoples safety and lives have relied on my repair work. I can truthfully say that I've never had any of my welds or repairs come apart in later accidents. Believe me,if I'm not satisfied with the frame,I'll get another one.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Two wheels are very diferent than four, I'm more concerned with safety and handling issues. Your bike/life/decision, I was just giving my .02, as I said good luck, hope all goes well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree 100%........two wheels are different than four. But,the principles of repair remain the same. Thanks for the well wishes!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I belong to the International Full Size Jeep board. If you own one of these,it's the best help you'll ever find anywhere!

·
Registered
306 Posts
PatriotARK said:
I belong to the International Full Size Jeep board. If you own one of these,it's the best help you'll ever find anywhere!
I used to belong to that board, for about 6 months I had a 76 J-10. They were very helpful. I quit going there cause I got a newer pickup over the summer. The Jeep was dieing and my wife didn't want to sink any more money into it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts