V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, my bars busted off in my hands. Reinstalled the stock ones until I find what I want.

Anyone riding a King useing Chubbys?

http://wild1inc.com/roadkingsonbike.html

They look pretty nice but at $164 I would like some feedback.

Thanks

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
First off, don't pay $164, they can be had through various online parts guys for about $130. I have the 504's for my Fat Boy and love the quality and feel.

What brand were the ones that came off???

One note: the Chubby's call for a full clamp, not the two little individual clamps I think are used on the King. Lots of people say it is OK to use the two small ones but i sure as hell wouldn't. Ebay is full of full width take-off clamps for cheap.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have the Chubby 508's on my RKC, I really like them. They have to be internal wired. I used the stock two piece clamps and have had no problems?? I haven't heard anything about having to use a one piece clamp?? I've done everything short of sitting on the ends of the bars and the stock clamps are rock solid?? If someone has heard of a problem using the stock clamps, I would like to hear about it also. These chubby's are a hell of alot more comfortable than the stock ones and you can see and feel the quality of them. These are the only pics I've got of my bike since I installed them:

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Don, I only said what I did because there was a sticker right on mine warning not to use the 2-clamp set-up. I mentioned this before somewhere and of course it was dismissed by the more jaded members as some kind of trick to sell me a wild1 chubby clamp. Also, internal wiring is possible with them, but not required.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey Logical, I guess that explains why I haven't heard about it, I bought these bars used. But, I had seen where you said something about it on another thread and I called the guy I got them from and he told me that they use the stock clamps all the time with them and has never had any problems before?? I sure as hell don't want the bars coming loose in my hands, I have pulled and jerked on them from all angles and like I said they seem rock solid, go figure???

I had to internal wire the ones I have. I tried to install the controls with the wires underneath and where the bars are stepped down to 1" the controls were pinching the wires bad and the controls wouldn't fit together. I unplugged the connectors inside the headlight housing and removed the whole wiring harness for each side and took the wires out of each connector and ran them through and then put everything back together. It was sorta a pain but worth it. I don't know if it's because my bike has the cruise control(more wires) or not, but I couldn't install them without internal wiring them.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The reason they went to the one piece top clamp is to avoid fatigue breakage of the bars on the FLT's.

It is not unique to the Chubby's, but any bar that is drilled for internal wiring and mounted with the two small separate clamps can eventually break due to fatigue. It depends how the bike is used but when the bike has to be repeatedly pushed into or out of some parking places there is a lot of load concentrated right at the drilled hole in the center, due to the combination of the two small clamps and the assembly being mounted in rubber.

It is not really as dangerous as it sounds as even if the bar totally breaks in two, both halves will still be attached at the bike. You sort of end up steering with a hot dog. You can see how some might get a little nervous when it happens.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks Hippo, I was going to get around to asking you about it. I think I'll get a one piece clamp and put on them a little later.

I think I would get a whole lot nervous, steering with a hot dog. Probably end up shitting my pants before getting it stopped.....LOL

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No big thing, odds are it would break when trying to back out from somewhere anyway.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Maybe you bagger riders need to lobby HD for reverse gear?

Seriously though...the hassle with the fat boy and internal wires is that the connectors are under the tank, not inside the headlight.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Usually a little planning works wonders, but it actually would not be a problem.

LOOKIE HERE Cheaper then feeding a large fender lizzard in the long run.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just bought a new 02RKC and I HATE the stock bars on the bike. I have short arms and I feel like I'm riding a 10 speed bike. I got the dealer to lower the bars but that only made the problem lower. I saw the pictures from Jimmy K and is the Chubby a line of handlebars? In the pictues the RKC that is aqua that says it is Slyfox's bike I like the straight pipes. How can I find out what brand of exhaust that is on that bike? :confused:

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
hogwild said:
In the pictues the RKC that is aqua that says it is Slyfox's bike I like the straight pipes. How can I find out what brand of exhaust that is on that bike? :confused:
hogwild, if you are talking about the bike that says" SlyDawg" you can ask him yourself. He is the first officer of the Conroe chapter of the Southern Cruisers Riding Club. I don't have his email but you can go to the SCRC site and ask....I don't think that he would mind but you may have to register on ABOUT or delphiforums to get there.

http://forums.about.com/SCRCC/messages

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the info, I will try to email him. I'm really pleased with my new RKC. I just need to make some minor changes. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts