V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought another Harley 2002 Road King going to put 13.5 Apes on it. I put apes on my other bike cut and soldered the wires on it. Has anybody ever used the wire extension kit by Novello Innovations they are color coded with oem pin connecters on both sides they with and without cruise just thought that will save lots of time and if I ever change bars to something else and can always order different lengths they make them 4,8,12,15. Any info would be appreciated.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
I'd also like to know this one too. Considering the same handlebars, but wasn't to be able to change it down the road if need be...

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Hoggin,
I have not seen these mentioned here before, maybe they are a new product line? They sure look like a very handy item and will save lots of time as you said. Also, they may prevent problems with identifying which wire is which, especially on the longer apes. I suggest that you try them out and get back to us with a report; don't forget the pictures :) sure wish I had them when I did mine. Here are some links for the lurks:
JP Cycles

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Harley makes extensions as well, with factory ends... They will only work in some cases thought as i feel these Novello ones will... If you are runnin internal wires and the original wires aren't long enough to go through the bars all the way these won't work.... i.e. If you are runnin 18 apes the factory harness' will only go 3/4 a way down the bar, there is no way you are going to get all the connectors in there...You will have to buy the complete univ switch kit..If you go with 10 in apes the factory wires will go through and hang out a little, that is when these will be great......sorry if its confusing, but these are great for some applications and useless for others.....

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TXCHOP said:
Harley makes extensions as well, with factory ends... They will only work in some cases thought as i feel these Novello ones will... If you are runnin internal wires and the original wires aren't long enough to go through the bars all the way these won't work.... i.e. If you are runnin 18 apes the factory harness' will only go 3/4 a way down the bar, there is no way you are going to get all the connectors in there...You will have to buy the complete univ switch kit..If you go with 10 in apes the factory wires will go through and hang out a little, that is when these will be great......sorry if its confusing, but these are great for some applications and useless for others.....
If you can get one part(female) of the connector through the bar why won't the other part(male) fit through the bar? Is it because of the shrink tubing, the bars I'm puting on are 1 1/4 ? Thought that you may know something I don't before I spend the money on them. Dennis Kirk which has them cheaper than JP Cycles says you can run them internally but that always does'nt mean much.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Another option to consider is changing to Chrome Switches. I see these on eBay complete with 48" of wiring (8" over standard length)

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I just installed 12.5" bars and ran the wires internally on my wide glide using the harley extensions. You can't get the connectors thru the bars, they have to be disassembled.The deutch connectors on the switch harness come apart without any special tools and the extension wires are color coded the same as the switch harness. On my bike there was plenty of wire on the original switch harness to get the wires thru the handle bar and past the triple tree before I reinstalled the connector and connected the extensions. The extensions weren't all that long perhaps a 9 - 12 inches so depending on your application you may end up making your own.

Also, on a Dyna the main harness is run inside the frame and the switch harness' are staggered so you can pull them thru, I'm not familiar with a Road King so check your service manual.

S.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I just installed 16 inch apes and used the kit, what a pleasure, I had the bars wired in no time, the wires are color-coded, pins on both ends, heat shrink included. I recommend it HIGHLY!!!!!
p.s. I took the throttle ferrule, tied a piece of string to it, dropped it down the bars, then taped the string to the wires, sprayed a little throttle lube in the bars and they fed right through.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts