V-Twin Forum banner

hand signals

6K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  tlr 
#1 ·
Have been riding my Harley for about a year now. I was wondering, when I used to ride my sport bike we would signal each other when cops where in the area (like in a car flashing your lights when you pass a speed trap). Do fellow Harley riders follow this. Have only had 1 person on a sport bike signal me so far.

#2 ·
Harley-Davidson motorcycles are only ridden by law-abiding citizens in a manner that observes all traffic laws. Why would we want to be concerned or signal one another when a law enforcement officer is in the area?

:hmmm:

:D

#3 ·
IndianaSteve said:
Harley-Davidson motorcycles are only ridden by law-abiding citizens in a manner that observes all traffic laws. Why would we want to be concerned or signal one another when a law enforcement officer is in the area?

:hmmm:

:D
..................:roflback:

#4 ·
You must be going down a hill with the wind behind you to be worried about this.

roloplex said:
Have been riding my Harley for about a year now. I was wondering, when I used to ride my sport bike we would signal each other when cops where in the area (like in a car flashing your lights when you pass a speed trap). Do fellow Harley riders follow this. Have only had 1 person on a sport bike signal me so far.

#5 ·
They're just pulling yer chain :D

We use a wide range of hand signals which are specific to the Harley Davidson rider fraternity. These include:-

1. Left hand raised slightly, palm forward, fingers closed - 'Hello'

2. Left hand raised a lot, palm forward, fingers closed - 'Whao, Buddy, Way too Fast'

3. Left hand raised a little, forefinger waving side to side - 'Well that was a fucking stupid thing to do'

4. Left hand raised to forehead, and moved out - 'You are a fucking Dickhead'

5. Left hand raised vertically and pumped up and down - 'I just broke my speed record for that hill and am about to get creamed on the next bend'

There are many more, but this may help you to get started in the wonderful world of Harley Davidson Hand Signals.

Best of luck :wootdnc:

#7 ·
Pointing down at the tarmac = watch out - there's something on the road.

A rider passes you and then points backwards to you and flashes his brake light a couple times = your brake or rear light is not working.

Ditto and then flashes indicators alternately = you've left your indicator on.

Ditto and sticks his right foot out = thanks for moving over to let me through.

In UK you will also see hand raised to head height and a pinched finger and thumb used to indicate police ahead. It comes from a comedian who used that sign with the catchphrase "Nick Nick".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.