V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my brother were talking about the rules on carrying a hand gun on a bike. I live in North Carolina and the law in a car is to have the gun visible unless you have a concealed carry permit. Does this hold true to motorcycles? Would you have to wear a holster? How does this work? I'm sure I'm not the only one to think about this. I keep a .357 in my truck, but how would I pull that off on the bike? Not that I feel I need a gun every time I ride.:lurker: :lurker:

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Spend about an hour on the asshole's recommended website and you will know everything you need to know about carrying...concealed and otherwise. Sorry asshole...I don't mean you're an asshole...oh hell with it. :duh?:

Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
The laws do not differentiate a motorcycle from any other type of vehicle. Whatever packing.org says about vehicles also applies to bikes.

·
Banned
873 Posts
Forget the guns, do what I do. Wear a clown mask and swing a chain over your head.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Carrying a handgun without a permit in California may be a misdemeanor. If the gun is unregistered, there is a felony enhancement. It's extremely difficult, lets's say almost impossible, for an ordinary person to get a firearms permit to carry in California.

Although I know that lots of folks, many of them bikers, that I know carry weapons, it's really not worth the trouble. I don't carry. I just learned to smile a lot.

:)

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by Sportster-06
Me and my brother were talking about the rules on carrying a hand gun on a bike. I live in North Carolina and the law in a car is to have the gun visible unless you have a concealed carry permit. Does this hold true to motorcycles? Would you have to wear a holster? How does this work?
I've wondered about this myself. Wisconsin is one of the few states that strictly prohibits concealed carry (that may change before too long if the Legislature passes a current concealed carry bill and can override the governor's promised veto). What I don't know is, if all I want to do is ride out to a gun club with my Kimber or my Beretta or my Sig and shoot some targets, what are the potential consequences? Carrying a gun in a holster on your hip may strictly be legal here, but is sure as hell would get you pulled over for "disturbing the peace." And putting it in a case, unloaded, by the way I read the laws here, that would be considered concealed carry. I didn't really get any answers at packing.org.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
newultraclassic said:
Carrying a handgun without a permit in California may be a misdemeanor. If the gun is unregistered, there is a felony enhancement. It's extremely difficult, lets's say almost impossible, for an ordinary person to get a firearms permit to carry in California.

Although I know that lots of folks, many of them bikers, that I know carry weapons, it's really not worth the trouble. I don't carry. I just learned to smile a lot.

:)
Didn't Isleton get into a little trouble for freely distributing them?

Oh and I have a permit to carry. No working in San Francisco since they have there own rules.

·
Registered
417 Posts
MadCity said:
I didn't really get any answers at packing.org.
I have also read this site numerous times. It's a good legal reference and has lots of info regarding concealed carry permits. But I can't figure out how to legally transport a rifle in a car (or motorcycle).

Tom

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Long guns would be kinda hard on a bike since they would be in the open.

Easiest thing to remember is hand guns should be seperate from the ammo and not within arms reach either. This is kinda hard on a bike so I would seperate them into both saddle bags if you do not have a permit. Long guns are basically the same.

I carry a .44 mag and .223 pistols in the pickup. .44 mag is on the permit and I leave it on the floor in front. The .223 is in its case under the back seat. I carry a .40 sig on my person when I'm out and about. Its concealed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
MadCity said:
... Carrying a gun in a holster on your hip may strictly be legal here, but is sure as hell would get you pulled over for "disturbing the peace." And putting it in a case, unloaded, by the way I read the laws here, that would be considered concealed carry. I didn't really get any answers at packing.org.
Wisconsin law requires a firearm to be unloaded and encased when transporting it in a vehicle. A motorcycle is included in the "vehicle" definition in the Wisc. statute. This is not considered concealed carry and you are good to go when transporting it this way.

As far as "open carry" in Wisconsin, I believe you are correct in that you are just asking for trouble doing that around here. Can't say as I have ever encountered a citizen carrying that way in my 19 years on the job.

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts
I am a police officer and I can tell you what we look for. If you have a concealed permit, you must keep it hidden on your person. It can not be visible. If you are riding a motorcycle, it is essentially the same as a car. You have to keep it out of the view of others. You can do this in a number of different ways. You can have an holster outside your pants as long as your jacket covers it up. You could also have an inside the pants holster and no one would know. Furthermore, if you had saddlebags or hard containers, you could leave the loaded pistol there too.

In other states that dont allow conceal carry, like my liberal ass state (illinois), we honor the permit as long as you are passing through and are not staying in the state. Exceptions include staying the night in hotels as long as your intention is to leave the state in a timely fashion. Otherwise, you can not have it loaded. You can still bring your gun to a non conceal state if it is broken down (i.e. the gun is unloaded and ammo sperated). That means you can still bring it in a saddle bag or such. Hope this answers your question. Kinda of a quick version, but if you need more specifics, hollar on this thread.

Regardless, if you have passed all backgrounds checks that permit you to have a conceal carry permit, cops shouldnt really hassle you unless you are in Chicago (Liberal &@%^#@). Cops generally support conceal carry. But like I said, be careful in Chicago, they even take other cops' guns' from downstate IL and out of state. It is a different world up there.

ALL STATES RECOGNIZE AN INDIVIDUAL STATE PERMIT AS LONG AS YOU ARE PASSING THROUGH TO ANOTHER STATE AND NOT STAYING

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts
By the way, I have never enccountered a conceal permit since I have been on duty. It seems that background checks work after all. The ones that have the conceal permits seem to be very responsible (all the more reason to have them in all states) and you never hear anything negative in the news about someone who carries concealed with a PERMIT.

However, I have seen several illegal guns on the job, and just the other day, my shift took three stolen ones off the streets. It seems that the only people who screw up with guns are people/thugs that shouldn't have them in the first place. But them seem to ruin it for everyone. By the way, they didnt have a permit, GO FIGURE. They would have never been approved if they applied for one anyway.

WOW, BACKGROUND CHECKS WORK,,,,,THE SYSTEM WORKS. Thats is why you need to call your local congressman if you live in a state that does not have conceal carry. It prevents crime. I would have to stay that 99.999999 percent of law enforcement officers support law biding citizens who carry concealed firearms with a permit. It a safe way to ensure ours and yours safety. I feel safe saying this because I have discussed this with several hunderd fellow officers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am fortunate enough to live in a state that has concealed carry permits available to just about anyone except those that have convicted of serious crimes.

The permit and the mandatory school are cheap enough. I have a permit but I don't carry very often and rarely on my person. If I think I have a genuine need for a gun before I go somewhere I A) Don't GO or B) Take something a damn sight more effective than a handgun.

I do however always take one when traveling. I have never had any trouble whatsoever from any Police Officer. If I get pulled over for some reason I tell them I have it and so far none have ever even batted an eye or even asked to see it or my license.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
trackstar55 said:
ALL STATES RECOGNIZE AN INDIVIDUAL STATE PERMIT AS LONG AS YOU ARE PASSING THROUGH TO ANOTHER STATE AND NOT STAYING
This statement may unintentionally mislead someone, so I'll clarify it a bit.

Only states that have enacted legislation to do so recognize out of state CONCEALED CARRY permits. Many states, like Indiana, require no permit at all to possess, so when someone says "permit", us Hoosiers think concealed. :D

What protects you when "passing through" a state is the Firearms Owner Protection Act of 1986, a federal law.
If the firearm is unloaded, in a locked case in the trunk (or furthest point from the driver in an SUV, for example, or saddlebag, etc., on a bike) and separate from the ammunition, AND its possession is legal in the state where you started from and in the state you are travelling to, you are protected from the state and local laws that may prohibit its possession in the locality you are passing through.

·
Registered
575 Posts
MegaGlide said:
This statement may unintentionally mislead someone, so I'll clarify it a bit.

Only states that have enacted legislation to do so recognize out of state CONCEALED CARRY permits. Many states, like Indiana, require no permit at all to possess, so when someone says "permit", us Hoosiers think concealed. :D

What protects you when "passing through" a state is the Firearms Owner Protection Act of 1986, a federal law.
If the firearm is unloaded, in a locked case in the trunk (or furthest point from the driver in an SUV, for example, or saddlebag, etc., on a bike) and separate from the ammunition, AND its possession is legal in the state where you started from and in the state you are travelling to, you are protected from the state and local laws that may prohibit its possession in the locality you are passing through.
Thanks Dave. You have a lot of faith in your fellow cops. Michigan has always had vague gun laws. Our concealed carry law passed only a couple of years ago, but it's always been legal to carry unconcealed. Yup, leagally you can walk down the street with a sixshooter strapped to your hip. But don't do it! You'll get busted for something. And therein lies the falacy of the Michigan legal system. Without a concealed carry permit, the laws are vague enough that they can be interpreted differently by different cops and in different circumstances. I suppose this is so because the cops want the leeway to let you go if you look okay to them or to bust you if they have a "feeling" about you. A good friend had his locked range box in the back of his blazer on the way to the range. No concealed carry permit, but conforming with the law.........he thought. Got pulled over for speeding. The first thing the cop did was question his drivers license (he looks a good 10 years younger than he is). Then he asked about the range box. As soon as my friend explained what it was and what was in it, he was told to exit the vehicle. When he questioned whether or not he was under arrest, he was dragged out and handcuffed. The cop then removed the range box, broke the lock as my friend offered to give him the key to it and then busted my friend for carrying illegally. He beat the ticket in court(thank god he didn't get thrown in jail), but the cops refused to give his range box back, including his target pistols. Said they may want to charge him at a later date. He finally had to hire a lawyer to force them to give it back. Ended up costing him a really nice range box and $450 for the lawyer. His lawyer recommended that he get a concealed carry permit just to transport his guns to the range!

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Acording to Ohio's CC law if you are in a vehicle and the gun is on your person it is to be in plan site. The way I look at it you are not "in" a motorcycle but "on" it. Ohio, or at least Cincinnati you are able to carry openly but could get "disturbing the peace". They need to claify the laws more here atleast for the CC permits.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I live in michigan ,,, i have a permit. One of the big reasons i have it ,, it to make transporting my handguns a no question deal ... i would guess where your friend screwed up was his ammo and his shootin irons were in the same box ........ if he had the ammo in the front of the truck and the shootin irons in the back of the truck in the range box he prolly would have been off the hook.......this said ,, the cop was being a prick........ rat

1 - 20 of 59 Posts