V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 SuperGlide and just got some new hand grips for it today.I need to put the throttle hand grip on but can't get the throttle cable off the old hand grip.I want to do it myself so I can learn more about my bike and also save on the cost of having the dealer do it,can anyone help?
Thanks

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
Make sure that the throttle adjustment is all the way loose before trying to remove the cable. Then you should be able to slide the grip out of the housing with the cable making it easier to rotate to a point where the cable ferrule will come out. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
SR1032...I am also thinking about doing the same job except on the Kury destructions it talks about the glue setting up instantly.That kind of scared me off figuring I would get it stuck in the wrong position.Your thoughts?

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
FlaFatBoy said:
SR1032...I am also thinking about doing the same job except on the Kury destructions it talks about the glue setting up instantly.That kind of scared me off figuring I would get it stuck in the wrong position.Your thoughts?
The glue does set really fast but you've got a few seconds to slid it on and position it. Just experiment with the positioning before putting the glue on. Once you are comfortable with the position...squirt the glue in and slide it on. It should only take you about 5 seconds to slide it on and rotate it to the proper position.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
the left grip only gets the glue so put the throttle grip ( right side ) on first and then try to make to left one match the same postion as the right on. I also to set the throttle cables the same as they were counted the threads on the adjustments threads so the nuts would be positioned the same when I was done .

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
brownjams said:
the left grip only gets the glue so put the throttle grip ( right side ) I also to set the throttle cables the same as they were counted the threads on the adjustments threads so the nuts would be positioned the same when I was done .
That's assuming they were adjusted correctly in the first place. The factory service manual tells you how to adjust them correctly. If you don't have a manual then i suggest you get one before doing anything else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Becareful not to loose the little brass retainer on the end of the cable. Both sides should take you about 20 minutes and thats taking your time................

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Ah, yes...with all your wisdom comes my confidence.I think I'll give it a try!:thanks: for everyones help.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Dyna 05 said:
I have an 05 SuperGlide and just got some new hand grips for it today.I need to put the throttle hand grip on but can't get the throttle cable off the old hand grip.I want to do it myself so I can learn more about my bike and also save on the cost of having the dealer do it,can anyone help?
Thanks
b careful when u reasamble the throttle to make sure you depress the breaklight switch plunger as the houseing goes togeather. if you don't the first time you pull the front break leaver it'll break the plunger, this causes the break light to stay on all the time.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Nobody mentioned that before you disassemble the throttle side, to shim the plunger of the brake light switch with a piece of cardboard (matchbook).
It's stated in the manual, several times.........so the brake light switch doesn't get damaged. Might appear to be alright for a while, but eventually the switch will short and you'll have an intermittent brake light.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
While you have everything apart...it's a good time to install chrome button covers...if you don't already have them. It's a $15 expense and about another hour worth of time...just some food for thought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts