V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been riding dad's Sportster while I'm saving for my own bike.

When I ride I have 4 fingers covering clutch, 2 covering brake (I think that's what I learned in MSF years ago... taking the class again this year). I wear leather gloves, but they're older (8-10yrs) Air Force issue leather gloves.

Anyway, after 20 minutes or so my hands begin to cramp a bit. Is it my position, or gloves being non-ergonomic, or what?

Help appreciated.

EDIT: BTW, it's a 1200 C w/ stock drag bars

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
You are too tense and causing the cramps. How can you control the bike if you have 6 of your ten fingers off of the grips most of the time? You only need to practice covering the levers in higher risk areas like intersections.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
I agree with xxxflhrci, you're too tense. I'll bet something else. I bet you're clamping your knees on the gas tank also. Relax!!!

Ride safe !!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Are the clutch and brake levers adjusted right?
Meaning that when you place your hands on the controls your arms and hands are at one straight line.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I agree with xxxflhrci too. Relax and use these controls as necessary. You would be supprised at how fast your fingers are when you need them in an emergency. You may want to look at diffent handlebars too. Go to the dealer and sit on different Sporties with differnt style bars and see what may be comfortable.

Try riding with out these fingers place on the levers and let us know how your doing.

Ride safe,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jockeyshift said:
Try riding with out these fingers place on the levers and let us know how your doing.

Ride safe,
I'll try that as soon as the weather gets better. Dumping snow now. :(

I never really thought too much about it, but I do concentrate on my hands a bit when I ride. My legs are generally pretty relaxed, but I'm always conscious of my hands.

Thanks for the advice everybody.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Relax when your riding. I hold onto the grips and don't cover either the front brake or clutch while riding unless I see something ahead.

New riders tend to be tense when they ride. The most common areas where you can see it is the deathgrip on the handlebars, sitting bolt upright on the seat, and clinching the tank with their knees.

Generally with more practice you should get more comfortable. Also, when you're riding take a moment to notice if your body is tense or not.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Relax your grip. Ride without gloves to make sure you aren't white knuckled.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Goish, you are all over this place... huh,,, ie sore hands, can't remember what gear your in .... what's next.. Since you are riding your fathers bike why not ask him?? I'm sure he can answer most of your questions..... or are you just looking for the recognition and attention of others.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doug said:
Goish, you are all over this place... huh,,, ie sore hands, can't remember what gear your in .... what's next.. Since you are riding your fathers bike why not ask him?? I'm sure he can answer most of your questions..... or are you just looking for the recognition and attention of others.
Yeah, well.. I have a question here or there I post it.
< 10 posts hardly counts as "all over the place"

As for father's bike: He's a newer rider than I am.

Attention whore I am not.
Question box, I am.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts