V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have police controls now if i were to purchase civilian controls is it plug and play or is it a real pain in the ass

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you aren't adding factory cruise, why do this? The horn is in a better place and can rewire the other unused items (siren on/off, yelp, aux/pursuit) to whatever you'd like.

If you are thinking about adding cruise, check out retiredpolicebikes.com as it is quite a bit more active and there are a few posts about hooking up cruise to stock police controls.

If you do have standard civilian controls you can use the existing plugs after you disconnect the police control wires.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The horn button is a pain in my ass. I always hit it when I'm looking for the blinker (especially after riding my other bike)

·
Registered
20 Posts
...The horn is in a better place...
This is of course just my opinion.

I find that with the civilian controls where the horn is (siren on/off location) that because I use it so infrequently I end up toggling the headlight.

I found a set of used police controls and one of my winter projects will be reverting to use the left control such that:
- horn is horn
- siren on/off becomes factory cruise on/off
- yelp becomes the odometer toggle
- garage door opener using odometer reset switch moves from where the mic input to the left side of the FLHP tank console where the odometer switch is currently

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
You can often find complete civilian handlebar switch/wiring sets on Ebay. There's several salvage yards that sell quite reasonably. But you will need to do some mods when converting the police bike. You will eliminate the clutch safety switch , you can simply twist the two wires together.

A wiring harness schematic from service manuals for police and standard controls is a must.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts