V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
02 FLSTFI, Stage I, PCIIIr and SE Tapered - No other electrical mods.

Question: Have installed the Chrome Nacelle with halogen headlight upgrade. No Problems. Now added the halogen passing lamp kit. Bulbs are H3 35 Watt.

Problem: Bulbs keep blowing/shorting out. I have replaced the bulbs once with the same result. It is wired correctly, double checked it twice, with solder and shrink wrap connectors and I have not touched the bulbs. I live in Italy and the only bulbs I can finde to replace are the H3 55 Watt. I still need to trouble shoot this problem. Other tech boards suggest that halogen dont like the vibration on my counterbalanced twin cam and are shorting out because of that excess vibration.

Question: My lighting circuit is on a 15 amp fuse. If I use these bulbs, will I exceed my amps for that circuit or will I be alright or do I need a Relay?

12 Volt System:

55 Watts Lo Beam
55 Watts Passing X 2
10 Watts Self Cancelling Turn Signals??
Tail Light???
Total Watts: 175/12V system= 14.58 Amps

Can anyone fill in the blanks and give me a bottom line.

Thanks..

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
tail lamp = 7 watts
stop lamp = 27 watts
7 + 27 +175 = 205 watts
209/12 = 17.4 amps

I read somewhere that you should not exceed more than 80% of total fuse capacity.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Relay is almost always a good idea

I would also use heavier wiring for battery to relay and to 55W bulbs; that will reduce your load across fuse and probably solve problem. Never depend on a circuit at over 90% of fuse rating and the 80% mentioned above is a good rule of thumb.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Try running new seperate grounds to each lite and ground it to the frame.
my brothers fat boy had same problem until i ran the new grounds and it hasnt blown a bulb in 3000 miles so far. poor ground will draw more amps and the bulb will overheat causing it to burn out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. About what I thought. I looked up number in my tech manual and got the same...ciao from italia.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts