V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my FatBoy and had Halogen Passing Lamps put on it. After 3 days, one lamp is no longer working. I took the trim ring off, and looked at the inside of the lamp. Can the bulb be replaced or does the whole lense/bulb assembly get replaced? I see the electrical disconnects and the rubber HD boot on the back, but the boot seems to be sealed onto the assembly.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Yeah, it's a sealed beam so the whole glass bulb and lens are replaced but it's pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have xenon HID bulbs in my passing lamps. They CAN be replaced, dealer showed me how. Not sure if this is what you have (the xenon H3 bulbs are about $35 for two). If so, send me a pm.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
gbenner said:
I have xenon HID bulbs in my passing lamps. They CAN be replaced, dealer showed me how. Not sure if this is what you have (the xenon H3 bulbs are about $35 for two). If so, send me a pm.
gbenner,
Did you replace the entire housing or just the bulb/beam? Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi. I had the same problem when I was hit by a stone and my lamp went out. The entire lamp costs VERY (US$100.00) much here in Brazil. So I tought I could try to replace just the bulbs (US$ 1.00). I cut the rubber at the back of the lamp and replace the bulb with an 12v H3 35W. It is working like a new one for two weeks now. The only problem that I still have that the glass of the lamp broken and I'm looking for a used one to replace mine. Hope this help.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Whoa here y'all! He said Halogyn! That is NOT the sealed beam and yes just the bulb goes.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
When i got the xenon lights, I believe i purchased 2 items.

1st, the sealed beam unit , which came stock in my 02 king,was replaced with a headlight bucket containing a replaceable bulb. I think (but not possitive) this may have been an older style of light.

2nd, the bulb was then replaced with a HID xenon bulb. On the passing lamps, (not sure about main headlight) the new bucket had a regular bulb already in it. Its does not APPEAR replaceable. The service mgr used a razer blade to carefully peel back the rubber boot "sealing" the bulb. It is attached with a kind of rubber cement. Then, he replaced it with the xenon bulb and stuck the rubber boot back (this is the same as what BRHarley describes above). Later, when the bulb burned out (8,000 miles) I taped the rubber boot on since the cement was losing its stickiness.

Hopefully this makes sense, if not, just ask and I'll try again.

ps, If you replace the headlight with xenon you will want to replace the passing lamps as well. I originally was just getting the headlight changed, but when I turned all the lights on, the passing lamps looked very yellow (thats why i watched the sevice mgr change the bulbs on the passing lamps).

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Xenon bulbs are not HID, HID stands for high intensity discharge and requires a ballast to light the gases(no element)in the lamp. The xenon lamps are still halogen, not HID. I just don't want you guys thinking you're getting something you're not. HID lighting is very expensive and found on high end cars like audi, bmw and mercedes(the kind that really blinds you at night).

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Thealien, on the box my passing lamp light bulbs came in, "LUMIKO" brand, the label also says in large letters "XENON". On the side of the box it says "HALOGEN XENON HID White", and "H3 12v 55w". On the side, it also says, in part " Caution: This halogen bulb contains gas under pressure and could shatter........." The price for 2 bulbs at the dealer was $21.50 for "Xenon Hal. Light Pas.".

Plus, they are brighter than any lights i have ever seen on a motorcycle. On interstate 15, a divided interstate, i get flashed from trucks and cars in the other freeway. These are very similar in color and brightness (identical?) to those on my Porsche.

You are correct, Porsche gets a small fortune for them, close to $2,000.

So, you may or may not be correct, but I'm sure you can understand why I believe what I do. I don't know if Glendale HD (818-246-5618) added a "ballast" or not (one for each light?). Didn't ask. Just know it wasn't all that expensive. If I remember, I'll call the service mgr on Tuesday and ask. (can't find the stupid receipt).

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
NCFatBoy said:
JimmyK,

You are right, Halogen, not sealed beam, How do I get the bulb out?

There is a rubber cap on the back of the bulb. Remove the rubber, save, disconnect bulb. Take new bulb, set rubber, attach and bring rubber seal back in place. Then..

Ride bike...

Pick up girl..

Trash each other in the woods...

Leave girl in Woods...

Ride back....

Catch Monday Night Football. :D

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like a plan... 'cept I'll try to find one that wants to come back and watch MNF...... they do exists... I think..... :D Thanks JimmyK

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
gbenner, glad you like your bikes new lights. I'm just trying to clear up the difference between HID and all the halogens out there xenon is still a halogen lamp, a bulb that works on 12 volts. HID's require high voltage to light the gas inside the lamp, therfore the ballast. Do an internet search on HID headlights/lights

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JimmyK,

Went to the Harley Dealer, took light with me.. Not sure what the white silicon based sealing/bonding stuff is they put on that boot, but it is tough stuff... finally got the boot off, it split a little in two places. Got a bulb for it. The Harley System lists it as a "Sealed Unit", replacement is $30. I know why.

Since it went out after only two days, I plan to ask the dealer I bought the bike from to replace it. We'll see if they will. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
The only way that Warranty ( first year ) would not apply is if you picked up a rock or a Texas June Bug.

Sometimes these sealed beams go out when there is a spike in the system like from a starter or other electrical part that has a small problem.

I would definately make the Dealer worry about it. Don't buy shi t ! Ya already did. Trust me, the first year warranty is in the price of the bike so go get em and make em fix it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts