V-Twin Forum banner

Half Helmets (aka Mushroom Head)

10K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  mboogiemanusa 
That isn't a bad looking helmet in my opinion and the distance from your head is obviously due to the design. Not sure how it will do at high speeds, but it may tend to lift more than some of the other designs. I have a full face, a regular round half helmet with the snap-on visor (like the cops wear) and a small thin DOT half helmet. They all serve a different purpose.

When it's cold and I'm going to be in traffic I tend to use the bigger half helmet because it's a little warmer with the liner/skirt zippered in. If I'm primarily going to be out on the highway I'll use the full face. But, once it hits about 40 degrees and I'm tooling around town I use the smaller half helmet because of the great visibility.

I will say the bigger half helmet has a huge lift off problem and at anything above 60 mph it's quite annoying unless you really pull the strap tight. The smaller one does lift a little, but not very much and hardly at all with a dew rag (or maybe I just don't notice it as much).

The only thing I don't like about the thin half helmet, which I can easily fix, is that there isn't a snap to secure the free end of the strap. The other day I happened to have it on when it was about 20 degrees and my ears were already cold. I usually tuck the free end of the strap under the stap on my neck, but didn't this time. I hit about 50 and the free end beat hell out of my already frozen ear about (what seemed like) a hundred times before I got hold of it. That freaking hurts!

Well, I would consider riding helmetless except the 'man' thinks I should have something on my head and personally, so do I. Besides, I'll give up the tickets for wearing one in NY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.