V-Twin Forum banner

Half Helmets (aka Mushroom Head)

10K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  mboogiemanusa 
#1 ·
I just picked up a new Bell Drifter model half helmet.
http://www.bellpowersport.com/helmets/images/drifter_l1.jpg

I grew up with Bells and still own and use my old ratty 70's 3/4 helmet for local riding. The new helmet fits great. I am curious though if I am going to have my head buffeted all over the place. (I would take it for a ride to find out for myself but the thing has tags all over it that I would have to remove in order to use it) It's a full 2 inches from the front of my head to the outer shell. I ordered a DOT hemet because I want the protection, but I don't want to be a bobblehead doll while riding. I don't have a windshield on my bike, and the helmet doesn't have a visor (I know from experience that sun visors can increase the wind buffeting). Does anyone have any experience with these DOT half shell type helmets? Am I worrying about nothing? I can return this one and get a Carbon Fiber helmet that is still DOT but has half as much padding. I would stick with the Bell though if I didn't think I would get my head knocked around. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Discussion starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the responses guys. Jersey's a helmet law state, so that's why all this is even coming up. I had been looking at the Carbon Fiber Helmets web site. I think that's what I'll go with. BTW, that 70's helmet is just around to make the boys in blue happy. It may be a POS but it says DOT on the back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.