V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, fess up time. Like a lot of the Geezer Glide Generation, I always wag my finger and turn up my nose at all of the F-1 want-a-bes on their pocket rockets flying by low tucked in their full leather costumes. But if truth be known, the 2 wheel bones in my closet have their roots in the 60s British “Super Bikes” and Café Racers, (you’re old enough to know exactly what I’m talking about if you know the term Café Racer.) In the days of Honda 305s and the new Shovel Head Harleys, nothing could get your blood racing like a BSA, Triumph or the mystical Norton. Grab a hand full of throttle on a 2 lane twisty and you’d see Jesus so much you’d start using him as a brake marker, (assuming of course that you called those brakes.) The Canyon Carvers of today don’t have a thing in the adrenalin or sex appeal department that those British Bad Boys didn’t bring to the road at an affordable price.

So Fess Up Time. Who else was ripping the back roads in British Racing Green? Am I the only cruiser that survived grinding down their solid pegs? These hi-pitched sewing machines of today could still learn a few tricks from deep throated Norton Commando S/S.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Pac a Steel said:
, Triumph or the mystical Norton. Grab a hand full of throttle on a 2 lane twisty and you’d see Jesus so much you’d start using him as a brake marker, (assuming of course that you called those brakes.)
amen to that...(brakes if that's what you call them) hahahahha

currently own a rebuilt 69 triumph...very fast..

brakes??? scares the shiit out of me when i go to grab some!..

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
c'mon sonoffatboy, i have a 70 bonnie which has a fabulous twin leading shoe front brake, same as fitted to yours, they are smooth and progressive. it fades less than the single front disc fitted to my 92 fatboy and is unaffected by rain. you might consider finding someone au fait with the triumph to advise you on lining types and synchronisation of the bellcranks, coz really mate, you have one fukk of a stopper at your finger tips ...

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
yep...remember those days

ran a Norton Atlas for awhile, not exactly a slow boat, and a Royal Enfield Interceptor, 750cc, and some say the first real 'superbike'. Always took at least 10 kicks to start, though. Dunstall noisemakers and slick flat 'banana' seats that you'd slide right back off of if you weren't careful! And three sets of wrenches in the rollaway...Whitworth, British Standard and metric, cause that dam things used all of them.

Ground the pegs off of a Ducati Monza, too, little 250 with a gear driven overhead cam...sort of a street version of the legendary Dianna.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Once in awhile....

when I'm crazier than usual, I think about getting a Dianna and going out for the Old Crock's Races....you see I have this theory that a tight light 250 could pass the Norton 500s in the corners, although I'd get beaten on the long straights. Back in the day, they ran classes by displacement, so you'd never see the two together, but in a lot of Vintage racing, they turn you loose by era, roughly matching years, so I could give it a try. Probably just take a rumpride, or get thrown outforbeing excessively competitive, but I've always wondered.....

·
03FLHRI,84XLH,52ArielVHA
556 Posts
Been riding my 52 Ariel Red Hunter for almost 40 years now. It's nice and all but no way is it up to modern road conditions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yep, I had all those British bikes like Commandos, BSA A10's, Triumph T110's etc mainly because I live in the UK and not 3 miles from the Triumph Meriden factory that was.

But what we all really wanted was Harleys.

I got me one now!!

·
Terrorists suck!
647 Posts
My first bike was a 78 Triumph, bought it new in 79.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
I had a full spectrum of Brit bikes in my youth from a 441 Victor to an Ariel Square Four that was reputed to do the standing quarter in 12.5 stock!!! An Atlas and Bonny or 2 as well...

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
1970 Triumph daytona pulled out of a barn in 1972 already falling apart, paid $550. Took it home and chopped it, extended forks, big sissy bar, bannana seat, chopped rear fender, pull back bars. It was a blast, rode it two years then got really drunk and rode it throught this canyon doing some crazy stuff, got home, sat down, realized I was alive. Got up the next morning rode it to the custom bike shop and sold it for what they offered(they could have offered a hundred bucks, I would have taken it!!). Probably saved my life!

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Archon said:
Been riding my 52 Ariel Red Hunter for almost 40 years now. It's nice and all but no way is it up to modern road conditions.
:clap: PICTURES! WE WANT PICTURES! :clap: :bowdwn:

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
hey swmnkdinthrvr, how long did that square 4 last?

I always loved the things, and nothing else sounds like one, but the ones I knew, if you could keep a head gasket in them long enough to ride much, they'd eat the cam bearings and mounts. Nowadays, there's no parts, so that's another dream gone, still love 'em though.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I sold my hard tail and bought a crotch rocket back in 81. After too many pucker marks on the seat in the shape of a head stone I sold it and bought a new Low Rider in 85. That was the best thing I could have done...I still miss my EVO.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Pac a Steel said:
OK, fess up time.
I survived owning a '68 Bonneville :cool: I went the chopper route with it though and put a 19" Hallcraft front wheel with a drum brake on 8" over forks.
Never did get a brake cable made for the front wheel so I can't really say anything bad about how crappy the front drum brake was. ^rolleyez^
Did find out just how important brakes are to have though. :D One day when the bolt fell off the rear brake actuator lever and I had to drag my feet to stop. :(

I now have a 70' Bonnie and a 70' T100c out in the garage with another Bonnie, one Tiger and a Trophy as future project bikes in a shed. :cool:

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Actually before my time for riding on the street myself, but I fondly remember my Dad's 750 Atlas. Also remember lusting over the Norton Girls ads for the Commandos.
Now the not-so-fond part.
I remember my dad kicking himself silly after tickling those Amal excuses for carburetors. Electrics? Lucas, Prince of Darkness. And I remember going to the Norton "shop" in Indy, which was a small garage-like building behind some guy's house in a residential neighborhood to pick up parts (that were almost non-existent even back then) when they finally arrived.
If I had a second bike, it'd probably be one of the retro Triumphs, though. So I could hearken without the headaches.

·
Obsolete Rider
1,728 Posts
two cents worth

-2$en#e-
One of my riding buddies had a 650 Triumph in the mid 70's. It was a great bike and outran my 450 Honda.
Most of the time we sat on the side of the road working
on the #@$%#$% thing. Oh yeah, it was hard to start too.
We'd take turns kicking till it started. At least it was easier
to kick than the XLCH.
I don't recall the headlight hardly ever working.
We wouldn't let him ride lead at night.
We do want pictures!!

·
03FLHRI,84XLH,52ArielVHA
556 Posts
Pac a Steel said:
:clap: PICTURES! WE WANT PICTURES! :clap: :bowdwn:
Okay I'll send my favorite taken in the day. Bike looks the same today. I'll try and get some newer pictures. It has a really good motor with a solid spark from the magneto but the rest of the system is Joseph Lucas, "Prince of Darkness" electrics. Light laws sort of did this thing in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts