V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a toy run here where i live today and it was pretty cool....about 35 to 40 degrees.For some reason my EG Standard would not run right unless the choke was pulled all the way out.I let it warm up for a while and rode a few miles with the choke all the way out and when i went to push it in it would spit and sputter until i pulled it back out.Now,it would spit and sputter if i tried to gradually give it the gas,but if i started gassing on it real hard it would quit running funny.Why did it act this way?Was it because of the cold weather?Because it sure didnt do this in the warm weather.Is there anything i can do to fix this?Any help or replies would be appreciated.

mike

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Clogged fuel filter or water in tank?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so maybe it didnt have anything to do with the cold?It could be that i guess,i havent checked or anything....but wouldnt it still run funny in the warm weather too?I dont know,im just asking

mike

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I'm not sure either. It could just be coincedence. Has it been below freezing lately? That could lead to condensation or ice in tank.

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
I noticed that your in Texas. If you have the bike jetted to run in the normal Texas summer and fall heat then it will be WAY too lean for cold temps. Try going up on the pilot jet one size and also raise the needle one clip position(drop the clip itself to the next lower notch on the needle). The other posibility is a clogged pilot jet. If you haven't ridden the bike in a while you can accumulate water in the float bowl and water doesn't pass thru the jets like fuel so you'll run lean on the low end.

Joe

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I'd suspect either carb icing or dirt/trash has clogged slow jet. You shouldn't need to worry about any rejetting. I've ridden in hot Mississippi summers for years, then in 30-35 temps with no problem at all with the CV carb.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jasilva....is all that stuff hard to do?To tell you the truth,i dont know how much i will be riding it this winter.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
By running with the choke pulled out you are "en-richening the fuel air mixture".

That would mean the motor was starving for fuel which could be caused by --a clogged filter, water in float bowl, ice in float bowl or a plugged gas tank vent are the most common problems.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if there is water or ice in the float bowl,how would one get that out,with a carb cleaner run through the tank?Where is the filter on a 99 EG?

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
All you said it was an E.G. unless I missed it, so I am not sure if it is injected or if it sucks gas.

So first off get a model specific service manual. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
I understand it's a carb EG (choke/enrichener seems to be the clue.....). I ride my bike from about the freezing point to the mid 90 F (exception) and never had to change the pilot jet in the cold weather or in the mountains (10,000'). However in cold weather the choke was out much longer and under some circumstances I could see water dripping from the a/c which indicates icing. Wouldn't icing cause a rich condition due to the reduced diameter of the venturi? My best guess is fuel starvation caused by a clogged slow jet or fuel filter.

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
mikes99EG said:
if there is water or ice in the float bowl,how would one get that out,with a carb cleaner run through the tank?Where is the filter on a 99 EG?
I'm not real familar with the CV carb but on my Keihin and Mikuni carbs on dirt bikes the float bowl is the cover on the bottom of the carb. Usually held on with 4 screws. Take it off and clean it thoroughly with carb cleaner and while you have it off pull the jets(they screw into the bottom of the carb body inside the float bowl) and spray them out and inspect to make sure they are open. If your fuel is old dump it all and start with a fresh tank. Clean the filter screen before you refill the tank. The filter screen should be in the petcock if it's not inline on the fuel line. Take the petcock assembly off the bottom of the tank and you'll see the filter screen sticking up. Also flush the tank out a bit while you have the petcock out. If this doesn't fix you up then you may want to look at the jet sizes.

Joe

H

·
0 Posts
Carbuerator icing sounds lkely. It DOES NOT have to be below freezing for this to occur. (It has to be a carb model to have a choke BTW).

The other thing that can cause this would be an intake leak. However, it doens't sound like you've done any changes that would explain that. If you've had any solid hits to the air cleaner housing, that could cause the carb to get knocked, allowing a gap.

Probably the easiest way to trouble shoot would be wait until a decent day, then let the bike fully warm up at idle, with full choke, then go to half choke, as you would in the summer. You may need to as much as double (but no more than double) your full choke warm up, and your half choke riding distance, if it's cool. If the problem persists, I'd suspect a leak. If it isn't there, you probably had something transient, like icing.

Typically water in the fuel (condensation) will cause momentary sputters, even to the point of the motor dying, but since you were able to keep it running witht he choke, and the problem was fairly constant, it's not sounding like that to me. However, any time you won't be riding the bike regularly you want to use StaBil inthe gasoline.

Harris

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
1. 99 EG standards (FLHT) only came carbed, not offered with EFI.
2. It has the vacuum Petcock on it also which could restrick gas flow if not working correctly. Did you try it on both the "on" and "RES" positions to verify if it worked better one way or the other.
3. Could be crap in the carb. Water or crud like Harris said.
4. If it ran good before, do not mess with the jets. Mine 99 EG runs good in hot or cold weather.
Your location says Texas, but based on the Temps, where in north Texas. Anywhere near the Dallas/Ft. Worth area?

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Leak at the intake manifold? Try spraying WD-40 around the intake area while it's running. If the RPM changes, that would be the culprit.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
I had a situation 2-3 years ago where I ran with my enrichener on a little too long on my 1200S (four spark plugs). I fouled all four plugs and my bike ran and sounded like crap (popping, jerking...had to run with the enrichener on to run at all) until I changed the plugs. Possibly your problem? Dunno.

T113

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Harris....if it was icing,that would indicate water in the tank wouldnt it?Could one not pour like berrymans or some other cleaner into the tank to get rid of the water?Im guessing you can put those types of things into a bike.I guess i have a few places to look and check.

Little Bear....no,i didnt try switching back and forth between on and res.Once i couldnt get it to quit sputtering,i just left the choke on.It just seemed weird that it would only do it if i gradually gave it the gas,but if i twisted the throttle hard it would do it just for a slight second....it wouldnt keep doing it.And yep,i live in north Taxas,right on lake Texoma

mike

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Mike,
Berrymans would get rid of the water, but not the crud. If you have never had your float bowl off, I am sure it is full of crap, not just water.
Only one other question.
Prior to this happening, did you have to put it on RES because you were low on gas and this happened after you filled up.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Mike,

Water in the tank really has nothing to do with it. Here's some info on carb icing:

There are 3 types of icing.
1. Fuel vaporization ice: This is the most common and occurs
when fuel changes state from a liquid to a gas. It is common to a
temperature drop of up to 70ºF as fuel robs the temperature of the
induction air to change state. Fuel vaporization ice can occur at
ambient temperatures as high as 100ºF and humidity as low as 50
percent. It is more likely, however, with temperatures below 70ºF and
relative humidity above 80 percent. The likelihood of icing increases
as the temperature decreases down to 32ºF and as relative humidity
increases.
2. Impact Ice: This is where snow or sleet freezes to you air
filter element and causes blockage of the induction air to the
carburetor.
3. Throttle Ice: Is formed on the rear side of the throttle
valve when the throttle valve is partially closed. This rush of air
around the throttle valve forms a low-pressure area and has a cooling
effect on the fuel-air mixture. Moisture freezes in the low-pressure
side (back side) of the throttle valve. This ice can accumulate and
restrict the income fuel-air mixture and cause an engine power loss
by loss of manifold pressure. Throttle ice seldom occurs above 38ºF.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts