V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Guitar Dude
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas, what's a good online source for Harley tools? I'm looking for a Crimp tool #HD-4109. Thanks.

·
Guitar Dude
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm doing the bullet turn signal kit and need to crimp connectors to the wires. Is it okay to cut off the tabs and just solder the wires? The crimp tool seems to fold over the metal tabs to make the connection. Thanks.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Player said:
I'm doing the bullet turn signal kit and need to crimp connectors to the wires. Is it okay to cut off the tabs and just solder the wires? The crimp tool seems to fold over the metal tabs to make the connection. Thanks.
When splicing wires i always prefer soldering. Use some shrink tubing over the connection and you'll have a solid waterproof connection.

·
Guitar Dude
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered from Toolsource.com an S&G Ratcheting Terminal Crimper for Weatherpack Terminals, pn 96175.

·
Guitar Dude
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
miles to go said:
When splicing wires i always prefer soldering. Use some shrink tubing over the connection and you'll have a solid waterproof connection.
Thanks MTG, I'll solder too.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Player said:
I ordered from Toolsource.com an S&G Ratcheting Terminal Crimper for Weatherpack Terminals, pn 96175.
YES!!!! That's what I was going to recommend. I have one and it works great. Practice with a few crimps first to get the hang of it. Once you do get the hang of it, the crimps are strong and look like they came from the factory. Also... solder where needed and use heat shrink over it.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
More sources

Player said:
Fellas, what's a good online source for Harley tools? I'm looking for a Crimp tool #HD-4109. Thanks.
As for other specialized Harley Tools... check George's Garage. He's a sponsor here and His tools are as good or better than the factory supplied ones.

Another source is Motion Pro. They have a lot of motorcycle and bike tools.

And last but not least... Matco tools actually owns Motion Pro. So you can probably find what you need online at Matco.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
miles to go said:
This is exactly what I do, I don't want to chance a bad crimped connection, always solder and heat [email protected]:

·
Guitar Dude
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help fellas! And the sources for cycle tools. I think I'm all set to give this bullet turn signal kit a go. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
If you make a solder joint correctly and pulled hard on each end, the wire would pull in two way before the solder joint would break loose. Soldering and heat shrink is the only way to go. Don't forget to tin the wire first before sticking it in the pin to solder.

thrasher

1 - 11 of 11 Posts