V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-
Any one out there replace their stock H-D saddle with a "sundowner" saddle. My application would be specific to a Dyna, but I'd like to hear from anyone regardless of their ride.

Thanks for any input at all.

VT

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
VT

I have the Sundowner seat on my 02 FXDL and it very wide and seems comfortable for me but more importantly my Wife loves it. I think the passenger seat is 12" wide. She hated the stock seat (very narrow). We tried a Corbin Gunfighter and Lady that a friend had and she complained about sliding around too much. The guy had about 1500 miles on it and wanted to sell it for $50 under retail. Passed.

We have alittle over 500 miles on the Sundowner so far and have no complaints. The price was right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ray B-
Thanks, that exactly why I'm looking at it. Passenger width is good. I was just concerned it would be too wide up front near the tank.

Thanks for the reply.
VT

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have the Sundowner for my '01 FXDL. It is comfortable, and yes, the passenger area is 12" wide. But, I am going to replace it. On long rides it hurts very much. I think it is too soft, especially for the passenger. We did a 800+ mile weekend this summer, and she was threatening to not get back on until that seat was GONE!! So, I am looking at a Corbin dual tourer with studs (I think she just likes the studs..) .....saw one and the construction was excellent, over all finish looked great, firmer, and is supposed to be much more comfortable than softer saddles. The Corbin seat is 12.5" in the passenger area. It is also much more expensive than the HD saddles.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I, as well as many others in the Vrod area have the Sundowner seat and am very pleased with it. I recently took a 250 mile trip on it with my girlfriend on back and I was quite happy with it as was she. I didnt know if I would really like it at first because of it size, I was afraid it wouldn't look right on the vrod, however I personally think it looks fine, and since I ride my sled not just look at it I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I put a sundowner on my fxd and it looked like a friggen tractor! got a corbin classic solo with studs and it's perfect. just got a mustang seat for my flstc and wish I had got the corbin classic solo for it and probably will in the near future. if you go corbin order through vendor like www.jpcycles.com.corbin's customer service sucks but their seats are great.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I used the stock seat for the first year..I got the sundowner for 2 up and if I wanted a little more support..
It does not look as good as the stock I must say....but it is a fair tradeoff...Go for it...for the price it's a good choice..

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I put the sundowner on my 02 FXDX and Yes it is a LARGE look but it is a LARGE saddle with plenty of cushion. My wife rode 225 miles on the stock seat and informed me about 1/2 wat home that she was completely numb. She was miserable for 2 days and would NOT get back on the stocker. The sundowner is 12 " wide for the rider and 16" wide for the driver. The padding is 2 times Plus as thick so you do sit higher (if reach is an issue,,, I lost about 1.5 " total from the road due to height and leg angle, no prob for me though)
You do loose leg clearance width wise when putting yer feet down at stops but the fit is an easy slip.
I personally use a Knurled chrome knob for the nut to hold the seat on and I throw the stocker on when I fly solo and then do a quick swap for the wife. Another inportant fact is that all saddles "rub" the fender differently and a larger saddle typically leaves larger rub areas. The sundowner does not leave visible rubs behind when the stocker is reinstalled.
PS with the sundowner I can preload the shocks more and stiffen the dampening (FXDX suspension) and still make her comfort but still get a good handling attitude. I had to set the suspension to SLOP with the stocker to keep from shattering her little arsk while trying to achieve a balance so as to not Bottom out.
As for looks,,, When we are Both riding,,, you cant see the darn thing hardly at all anyway,,, and EVERY scooter looks like Hell when a pretty gal is on the back with a scowl cursing the day you were born.
Party On and God Bless.
Heres an older shot of the sundowner on the rig.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
And a view from the back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's why this forum is so good... folks brought up some issues I hadn't thought of. Thanks to all for replies. I gotta keep the wife happy so she'll keep me happy, sounds like the quick change idea may be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I've just got myself a 2002 Low Rider (and love it!) but my family aren't very enthusiastic about the very slim pillion.

I'm thinking of going for either a Sundowner or Mustang Wide (I'm bit concerned about how the Corbin Tourer will take to constant British rain, so I've ruled it out). Does anyone have any pictures of a Mustang on a Low Rider? That would really help me make my mind up (you just can't see any in the shops here). I'm worried it will look a bit fat and top heavy on the Low Rider though many have told me it's more comfortable than the Sundowner.

Many thanks in advance

Mike

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Flasam,

as you can see I'm in the same dilemma. I've heard comments that the Mustang is more comfortable on long trips than the Sundowner, but then got a post from a guy on the Delphi Dyna forum yesterday, telling me that the Sundowner was the most comfortable saddle he'd had bar none, including Mustangs and Corbins.

So, it's not easy to draw conclusions. I haven't read too much from people who've ridden both long distance, but then it could be a "hourses for courses" thing.

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
679 Posts
There are only two asses that will know which seat is better. Yours and your passenger's

If you've got more money than sense, buy both. If you're a working stiff like most of us, You have a couple of choices. You can try to go to the stealer and try a Sundowner. Put it on the floor and sit there for 3 or 4 hours. Sure, you'll look silly, but this is your ass we're talkin about here. Maybe you can find a friend with a Mustang that will let you sit on the bike and test one. I hear that Mustang has really good customer service, you could buy one and might be able to return it if you don't like it.

I would just go with the Mustang if the above is not realistic. And it probably isn't. I say this because I have heard SOOOO many people who love the Mustang seats. I have heard more positives and very, very few negatives. With the Sundowner, I have heard more people who did not like the seat.

Just my few pennies worth.

·
Registered
386 Posts
VT...It's gotta be your decision but this many butts can't be wrong??

I have an RKC 2003 with a sundowner and quick release passenger backrest. I chose not to do the rider backrest. As for sitting, you're about the same...maybe a bit farther back. I'm 6'3" about 220 lbs and the seat puts me in the right position to reach the bars. Shorter folks may need to make an adjustment but for me...perfect. The ride's great with the seat. No tired butt for me or my girl after long days and as long as her butt's happy...so am I..know what I mean? Bottom line...great seat. I think you'll be pleased.

Ride hard. Ride Safe!

·
Big Ugly Fat F'n Yankee
862 Posts
A quick question, I am almost positive that I am going to order a Sundowner for my 2001 Wide Glide2 (with the tan Ostrige seat that came with the bike from Harley)and I want to keep the tan color. Can it be ordered in colors? If not, is it an "easy" job for an experienced interior shop?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Had a 2001 Road King with stock seat... Wife hated it so I purchased the Road King Classic touring seat.. Wife and I loved it... Later sold the bike with the stock seat on it...... Was bikeless for 6 months then went bike crazy again, bought a new Sportster and new Road king Classic 03 and at the same time a new Sundowner seat for the Road king... Wife commented on the new seat saying the ride didn't feel as comfortable as she had on the older Road King so without here knowledge... I put on my older Road king Touring Seat..... Her comments were... "what did you do? Change out the shocks or something, the ride feels much better". So there you have it... Without any knowledge on her part... just the feeling in her butt, she chose the older style Road King Touring Seat over the Newer Sundowner Road king seat...... As far as I'm concerned my butt felt no difference between them.... Harly was nice enough to give me a refund on the Sundowner.... Don't know how the difference would have been on any other model bike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts