V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a gps and there are several options with prices as low as $200 for a hand held to $1000 plus for a top of the the line.
Anyone have the H-D quest unit? Any advice on what unit to get or stay away from. The quest 2 can be purchased for about $450 online with a Ram mount. :whatever:

·
2005 Ultra Classic
45 Posts
eglide1 said:
I'm thinking of getting a gps and there are several options with prices as low as $200 for a hand held to $1000 plus for a top of the the line.
Anyone have the H-D quest unit? Any advice on what unit to get or stay away from. The quest 2 can be purchased for about $450 online with a Ram mount. :whatever:
I installed an HD RoadQuest on my 05 Ultra last year... easy to install and works very well.

·
Registered
838 Posts
joystik said:
The HD mount will work with the Quest II but it runs about $150. Thats what I did with my bike.
Are you happy with the HD mount setup with your Quest? I have read another user's post that it vibrated around too much.

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
I have the quest on my Ultra and its ok.....I got mine on a deal from my neighbor who bought it then decided he was not going to do any touring. Mainly he just rides around locally. It is easy to see and mine does not vibrate too much. Really the thing I dislike the most is it is difficult to use while riding. Yes I know keep both hands on the bars but where would be the fun in that.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
No Vibration??

joystik said:
I dont have any issue with vibration.
You guys do not have a vibration issue with the HD mount?? What at about 17-2000rpms...nothing?

Well maybe it is my bike that has the problem and not the mounting system.

I was going to try a short Ram ball mounting system in the same place as the HD mount. It is still winter here so as soon as the weather warms up I will have a better look at my bike and the mount.

Later,

Brad

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Quest

Been using the Quest now for about a year. I bought mine a month before Harley made the announcement about their system. It works exactly the same. Did have a very hard time having a dealer sell me the "hot shoe" though, but did find someone to sell me one for the $98.00.

Some vibration at lower RPM's, but not a big deal.

Use it all of the time, been on 5K mile trips with it. The best thing about it is to set up a route avoiding highways and no uturns when you are someplace you don't know. I have found some really great rides this way on roads I did not know existed.

Also if you are into the ABC's of Touring, it works great.:flames:

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I have it, and used to have the vibration problem....

Turns out my mounting bracket was cracked. The dealer got HD or Garmin to warranty the part, and now it works fine.

The advantage to the HD Quest is the integrated mounting system. It appears that for the money, there may be better or more featured units out there. That being said, the Quest is easy to operate and the moving map feature is nice.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Garmin 2610

I went with a Garmin 2610 on my ultra with a RAM handlebar ball mount. I love it. The reason I decided not to use the Quest is due to its limited memory. With the 2610, you can install a 2 GB memory card and hold the entire United States in it all the way down to the street level in every city. No having to upload only the states you are going to be in this trip and then having to hook it up to your computer to change the states you will be in for the next trip. Then if you are going on a really long trip, or are in a densely populated part of the country where there are a lot of streets, well, you should just bring your laptop with you so you can update it while you're on the trip. Having the whole country, all the time, sure makes it easier. Yes, it is a bit more expensive, but worth it.

If you choose the 2610, one little problem I experienced is easily solved. It has an infrared input for a remote control. When the sun is at your back, it shines on the infrared lens and makes it change screens. I solved it by putting a piece of black electricians tape over the lens. My wife wasn't interested in trying to operate it from her throne on the back anyway.

As far as the Quest is concerned, I understand it is very easy to operate.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
i've got a quest 2 with handlebar mount...no power to it tho. actually got it for my jeep. but, cause i just moved to this state, i don't leave home without it. actually, i wouldn't have found the house i bought again without it.:huh:
guess i'll see if i can find a hot shoe mount for it.:hmmm:

·
Registered
135 Posts
eglide1 said:

Man, I'd like to know where you found the Quest 2 for $450.

Good price. What did they 'upgrade' between the Quest and the Quest 2?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Luth said:
Man, I'd like to know where you found the Quest 2 for $450.

Good price. What did they 'upgrade' between the Quest and the Quest 2?

It was gpscity.com
The upgrade is the amount of built in memory. You'll see the details on the website

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
you can also upload and download their different map software and upgrades to your pc then transpose both back and forth from the gps unit on the quest 2.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
GPS units

When shopping for a GPS unit, be sure to check what kind of storage it uses. For instance, my 2610 uses CompactFlash memory. However the 2620 uses a hard disk drive. It is not advisable to use any device on a motorcycle, especially a Harley, that uses a HDD for storage. The HDD does not stand up to the vibration that we find so endearing in our rides. The 2720 uses an internal flash memory, so it is not so sensitive to vibration like the 2620 is.

The 2720 looks like a nice improvement over the 2610. Wish I had waited for it. But the 2610 is serving me well.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Garmin has discontinued the SP 2620............still making the 2610, but for how much longer is up in the air.....2610 can be had for around $475 on some sites........The price is dropping on the 2610, same as it did on the 2620 just before it was discontinued...........

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
bigbluff said:
The 2720 looks like a nice improvement over the 2610. Wish I had waited for it. But the 2610 is serving me well.
I thought the same thing & actually bought a 2720 & used it for 1200 miles, I was planning to sell the 2610 on ebay. After all that use, I returned the 2720 for a refund & went back to using the 2610.

For some reason, Garmin has totally "dumbed down" the 2720, they have eliminated a lot of the user customization options including the "transparent tabs" option that I use 100% of the time(without this option, you lose 30% of the useable map area)

After trying all the features of the 2720 extensively, I decided most of them are unnecessary selling gimics. 3D mapping seems pretty cool at first, but after using it for one day I never used it again. The TTS(text to speech)feature is annoying, I find the way the 2610 speech works to be much better IMHO.

The 2720 is supposed to have higher screen resolution, but in actual real life conditions I could see no real difference between the two. I am using the 2610 constantly, & like it so much that I am about to buy a second one now that the price has dropped under $500.

~John

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Thanks for the GPS insight guys and gals, on numerous threads. Amazing just how many threads we've created to discuss one subject. Think I'll start an oil or wave thread. Nah!!

Decided I need a GPS if I'm going to keep making the long trips every year. Noticed on eCost.com
this mor'n that they have the Quest unit for $260.00....so dropped the $$$ and picked one up. Now I have a decision about mounting hardware. Am looking at the Garmin setup, the HD setup and the lockable one mentioned on another thread. Am going to search thru the threads now for "mounts". Ah-h-h!! Might end up on the "Enter at you own risk" area with that search.

o~\o

1 - 20 of 73 Posts