V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local dealer last week to get longer throttle cables to go with my new handlebars. The instructions with the bars recommended a Harley P/N for the 4 inch over stock. When the guy behind the counter sees the instruction for the aftermarket bars he goes into lecture as to how the shop is Harley only and are only stocking Harley parts, and how they sell plenty of H-D handlebars. He gets me the part # and I notice that it has a connector for cruise control. Since my bike wasn't even offered with cruise I don't want to take the cable. He has a problem finding H-D cables and turns to the Drag catalog, finds them, and orders them.

Only problem is he looked up stock lengths in the H-D catalog for a Roadking with a carb, I have fuel injection, so the cables that came in were only about an inch longer. Now I have to return them, probably listen to another lecture, and have wasted time all due to the fact that this parts manager was more interested in spouting than in finding out which configuration my bike was. And to top it off, even though "they don't stock the aftermaket", he went and ordered them anyway.

Anyone else have a dealer that is no longer stocking aftermarket accessories?
I did notice that their once generous stock of Drag, Custom Chrome and Kuryakyn has been depleted.

·
C'ya on the road
146 Posts
cruzyn56 said:
I went to the local dealer last week to get longer throttle cables to go with my new handlebars. The instructions with the bars recommended a Harley P/N for the 4 inch over stock. When the guy behind the counter sees the instruction for the aftermarket bars he goes into lecture as to how the shop is Harley only and are only stocking Harley parts, and how they sell plenty of H-D handlebars. He gets me the part # and I notice that it has a connector for cruise control. Since my bike wasn't even offered with cruise I don't want to take the cable. He has a problem finding H-D cables and turns to the Drag catalog, finds them, and orders them.

Only problem is he looked up stock lengths in the H-D catalog for a Roadking with a carb, I have fuel injection, so the cables that came in were only about an inch longer. Now I have to return them, probably listen to another lecture, and have wasted time all due to the fact that this parts manager was more interested in spouting than in finding out which configuration my bike was. And to top it off, even though "they don't stock the aftermaket", he went and ordered them anyway.

I did notice that their once generous stock of Drag, Custom Chrome and Kuryakyn has been depleted.
I can appreciate your problem, however, if I was a dealer I'd likely tell you to get your cables where you got your bars.jmo

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
At a Japanese motorcycle dealership, they sell lots of aftermarket parts and accessories, and apparel, and wouldn't ask you to do this. But HD doesn't like you to buy anything non-HD.

Snarly said:
I can appreciate your problem, however, if I was a dealer I'd likely tell you to get your cables where you got your bars.jmo

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
it doesn't make any difference who makes the parts or where he gets the parts. if the dealer can make a buck off of it he's going to sell it. if he don't he's crazy.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
The dealer I frequent has all the current after market catalogs sitting on the parts counter just in case HD doesn't make what you need. They also sell non HD bikes (used).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Snarly said:
The manufacturer of the handlebars recommends barnett clutches for cables. Rather than order them I figured I would support my local dealer and get the cables from them, even if they needed to be ordered. Doesn't matter to me if they are H-D or any other as long as they could get them in the length I need. Matter of fact a year ago the same parts people told me they stocked cables and brake lines in many lengths and didn't seem to care where I got the handlebars.

Come to think of it, it seems like the dealer's attitude changed when the independent Harley parts guy, who was a mile away, was put out of business by the state under the umbrella of eminent domain. He was in the way of highway expansion.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Its not like you are asking him to install bars you bought elsewhere. Also you are trying to buy something from them so should keep there mouths shut. The dealer buy me has small section with after market and drag catalogs on counter. There website has new section for non hd too.

Screw that guy. I don't support local dealers. I use them more stuff I don't want to wait on. If its a big item I order from place with 20% off. Also got a stack of catalogs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i had the same prob at my dealer. i wanted to get some bigger bars and guy told me no way they dont make cables yet(HD doesnt) but i have heard from plenty of people who went to the dealer and they got AM parts but mine wont order them for me. i guess il have to go somewhere else and spend my money, oh well

·
Registered
294 Posts
The dealership you are working with this the problem. My local shop has AM parts and has no problem ordering AM stuff if I want.

Alperin1

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Never been to a dealer that would not order aftermarket parts. And if I put up with that kind of Sh1t from a dealear, I would talk to the parts manager and never come back. Plenty of shops in my area to take my money without giving me grief.
And try and know what you want when you go in, most of the time, if it is not New H-D the young punks do not know the parts. Have to have the part number for my "93 half the time.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Deal in wheels was a good shop that had a lot of different after market parts and good people. Try Spencers in Belleville.
JTS

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JTS1469 said:
Deal in wheels was a good shop that had a lot of different after market parts and good people. Try Spencers in Belleville.
JTS
Yes it was their only local competition for parts. Thanks.. I will try Spencers.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
cruzyn56 said:

That may simply be a local business decision on the part of the dealer. Discounts on the A/M parts are not all that good and it requires a separate order which has shipping attached to it. My local dealer carries several A/M catalogs but never has pushed their use.

As far as I'm concerned, anything made in China is aftermarket, even if it says Harley-Davidson on it. I remember the good old days when some of the items said "Made in Japan".

:corn:

·
Ride It, whatever it is!
244 Posts
Glad I don't get that kinda shitt from my dealer. Have you politely told him that your's and damn near every other Harley on the road has at least one or several non-HD parts on it. The HD catalog can only take you so far. Guess he doesn't like to make money. I'd find a new dealer.

·
FNG
320 Posts
Snarly said:
You also LIKELY wouldnt be in business long... Good luck with the going out of business sale though =)

D.

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
Snarly said:
If a dealer told me that, I'd walk out, spitting on the bikes as I left.
Never to return, ever!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The dealer did order the cables, although the wrong ones. But only after having to listen to a speach on the support you'd get when buying genuine H-D and the lack of support for OEM.

Thanks for letting me vent. It's always something with the new and "improved" H-D.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
gunnut said:
If a dealer told me that, I'd walk out and spit on the floor as I go.
Never to return, ever!
An acquaintance of mine (cash in hand) rode into the local HD dealer on his old FL. He had finally decided to get a new bagger. He parks, the salesman comes out and tells him to "get that POS off the lot". So he leaves and buys a new BMW K bike.

This was back a few years ago when many dealers had a kiss my a$$ attitude.

However, people have LONG memories, Harley will never see him back.

On the other hand, my not-so-local dealer gives me good service. The closest HD dealership to me recently changed hands, so I'll have to see if things get better or worse.

·
Registered
529 Posts
84FXRP said:
An acquaintance of mine (cash in hand) rode into the local HD dealer on his old FL. He had finally decided to get a new bagger. He parks, the salesman comes out and tells him to "get that POS off the lot". So he leaves and buys a new BMW K bike.

This was back a few years ago when many dealers had a kiss my a$$ attitude.

However, people have LONG memories, Harley will never see him back.
Then he really didn't want a new Harley,did he? I had a dealer tell me if I could get a better deal elsewhere then go there. So I did,but I still bought a Harley.:whatever:

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
What a fuk'n thread. Of course a Harley shop doesn't stock aftermarket. How much warehouse space do you expect them to have and how many more parts to track. They all stock HD and ORDER aftermarket. Sure they stock things like grips and mirrors that are fast movers but extended cables. If they were to stock all the aftermarket parts you would hear bitchin about "they don't have parts for my EVO because of all the Kuryakin crap they've got".

1 - 20 of 40 Posts