V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well. I finally got the chance to install the oil cooler on my '01 FLHTCUI. I bought the Jagg offset adapter and figured it be easier that way. WRONG! The Jagg(-off) offset adapter is a piece of sh*t! What a waste of money!! It leaks leaks leaks allllll over. I did exactly as the instructions said and tightened the hex screws. It leaked. I torqued them a little more. It still leaked. I torqued a little more - leaked. I tightened a little more and stripped two of the screws. I then took it apart, checked everything, and put it back together - no difference. Looks like I'll be doing it the way Harley wants me to. Definately wasn't any easier. Took me all day to do and tomorrow I have to do it all again!! When I took it for a test ride I did notice that it warmed up quicker and stayed at about 180-190. It was a short ride though. I'll post an update if I ever get it to stop leaking...:mad:

Update: I went on a 150 mile trip Saturday. The temp eventually went between 195-205 and I got stuck in stop-n-go traffic for about a half-hour where the temp went no higher than 205-210

·
Registered
187 Posts
Joel, did you wind up mounting the oil cooler below the voltage regulator (if that is what it is called)? I have a 2002 FLHTC/I and installed the HD oil cooler as per their instructions. I was just wondering if the cooler got sufficient air flow through it to be effective. I had an oil cooler on my sportster but it was mounted on the left side of the frame with good access to airflow. It really made a difference in oil temp. I'm hoping this one will too.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is mounted under the voltage regulator and it seemed to have enough airflow to keep it cool. I only had it out on a short trip though. It went up to about 180-190 and stayed there as I was driving back home. I'm going to ditch the Jagg offset adapter today and route the oil lines as the instructions indicate. I'll update when I'm all through.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I probably don't NEED one but I live on the shore and I get caught all the time in stop and go traffic. Several people I know around here have them and swear by them for this sort of thing. We'll see how it goes...

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DONE (Finally)

Ok, I'm all done with the install. I could have saved myself some money and just bought the H-D oil cooler set instead of that and the Jagg offset adapter. I think it would have been just as easy to go without the adapter. I hooked it all up and absolutely no leaks. I rode around for an hour or so and didn't see a temp over 195. I even sat for a while idling and it didn't go up much. I'm happy it's done! :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Joel, I've read that the original oil cover won't fit with the HD oil cooler setup. On the HD website it says that the part that fits is the Transmission cover. How is your set up?

·
Registered
14 Posts
> I've read that the original oil cover won't fit with the HD oil cooler setup.

That's true. I installed the HD oil cooler on my 02 FLHTCUI. I thought that I would get the Jagg offset adaptor rather then having the oil lines routed from the A-frame to the back of the engine and back. But after reading HarleyJoel's adventures with the Jagg, I'm not so sure. The current (HD) installation works fine and doesn't leak oil so maybe this is one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" situations... I'll have to think about this one some more...

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The oil lines run down the left underside tube of the frame and cross over to the right just before the oil drain area which is where the thermostat is located. They then go up to the top oil line. You have to remove the oil cover and the top oil line to replace the two oil line fittings (one is changed to a 45 degree and the other is straight but has grooves to accept the clamp for the oil line). IMO, the hardest part was getting the clamp off the oil fitting (had to break it). It did take some time but wasn't hard to do at all. I've heard of people swearing that the Jagg adapter made it so much easier but I wasted $130 and turned out doing it the other way. If I had done it without the adapter to start I wouldn't have had any oil mess on my garage floor. Even though the bike looks completely filthy here is how it looks now. (I need to get the chrome cover for the oil lines).

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You do need to be moving for it to work 100% but when you are in stop and go traffic it does keep it cooler than without it, especially if you have a breeze and it also creates a lower starting temperature if I do have to sit a while (ie: I have more time stopping with the oil at 190 compared to stopping with the oil already at 230)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts