V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there have one? I was considering getting one for my 05 roadglide .. any better suggestions? thanks in advance..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brownjams said:
A stereo that plays mp3 CDs. you can put around 150 songs on each CD.
c What kind did you get? a buddy of mine put an after market stereo in an it skipped like hell.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
peewee said:
c What kind did you get? a buddy of mine put an after market stereo in an it skipped like hell.
Most of the mp3 players that utilize a hard drive may skip while the units that use flash memory can't skip.

For example, the 60GB iPod uses a hard drive. The nano/shuffle players are flash.

·
2005 Ultra Classic
45 Posts
8-Ball said:
Most of the mp3 players that utilize a hard drive may skip while the units that use flash memory can't skip.

For example, the 60GB iPod uses a hard drive. The nano/shuffle players are flash.
The HD MP3 uses a memory chip. . . no skipping. . . very cool

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Randy Ontiveros said:
The HD MP3 uses a memory chip. . . no skipping. . . very cool
Posted this in another thread regarding HD mp3 player:

Sounds cool, but that 64mb SD card will only hold that one "Born To Be Wild" tune. I like to have at least 3 songs when I ride. I know larger ones can be had, but for $299, I would think I could get 2 to 4 GB... oops forgot, it does have the bar and shield... who needs music when you have that. lol.

That probably sounded a little negative.... cause it was.

Too bad it doesn't work with iTunes... or does it. I think the Nano sounds like a better deal. I'll get a peel and stick logo for $5.00 and 4 gb for less money.... probably smaller too.

•••••••••

In addition, don't forget the process of organizing your music and synching up with your computer... this is more than half the battle.

iPod and iTunes are unbeatable and available for both mac and pc.

I just bought the Nano and it took 5 minutes to set it up.

Hearing the music is another thing altogether. I used the stock earphones and it was great up to 50 mph at which point the wind noise overtook the music. I ordered a different set of earphones that fit in the ear canal. Hopefully this will solve the problem, but I am not sure whether it will cancel out the important road sounds.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I installed one of the H-D MP3 players on a friend's Road Glide... I thought it was clunky looking, lacked any useful features (I think it lacked ANY features), and not worth the money. He got it for a gift though.

you should be able to get about 12 to 15 decent quality MP3s onto a 64MB card.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
you should be able to get about 12 to 15 decent quality MP3s onto a 64MB card.
So at an average of 3 minutes per song... we are talking 36 - 45 minutes.

I used only one third of the 4 GB on the nano and it indicated that I could listen for 1.2 days before a song would repeat.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
8-Ball said:
So at an average of 3 minutes per song... we are talking 36 - 45 minutes.

I used only one third of the 4 GB on the nano and it indicated that I could listen for 1.2 days before a song would repeat.
Yes, about that... you can get 2gb and even 4gb SD cards, but then you just have a pile of music with no organization to it or any way to find a song (on the H-D player). My friend picked up a couple more 64 cards and put a different kind of music on each one.

I still think the H-D player is pretty much useless.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
you can get 2gb and even 4gb SD cards, but then you just have a pile of music with no organization to it or any way to find a song
Don't forget to add the cost of the SD cards to the already inflated price of the HD player.

We are in agreement.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One of the reasons I liked the hd one was the fact that it was fixed to the bike and the buttons on it seemed to be large enough to use cruising down the road. All the mp3s at best buy etc. are so tiny which is great while your jogging but didn't seem such a good idea on the freeway. as for hearing it my speakers would take care of that.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I have one on my SEEG and really like it. It does lack features like play lists but I don't miss that at all. I have 3 512mb cards each with about 120 songs. Put it on random and play. Love the unit, its integrated into the controls, nothing extra to fuss with or hang from the bike.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I also have the HD mp3 player. It is easy to use. I have different collections of music on various cards. Just put in the card I want and go. I can change at the fuel stops if I want. I usually carry 4 or 5 gig of songs.

I don't want to be messing with finding playlists while riding anyway. I do the same thing by switching cards while stopped. It is located in a very convenient place and was much less cost than replacing my stock radio unit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well thats the way I'm thinkin' . It seems just convienent and no batterys or micro lettering to read.

·
Registered
38 Posts
peewee said:
Anyone out there have one? I was considering getting one for my 05 roadglide .. any better suggestions? thanks in advance..
I have the H-D Mp3 player on my '05 FLHTCI, and like it very much.

It is well made, operates flawlessly and is easily controlled without distracting your attention from the road. I use 1GB SD cards in mine, so I have hundreds of songs to play from just a couple of cards. SD cards are getting cheaper all the time at the various big-box stores.

If there is one thing I don't like about it, it is the way the output must plug into the front of the radio. I wish that AUX. jack was also available at the back of the radio, inside the fairing.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
For that price, you can get a Sony deck and the kit that allows you to still use the stock controls! I put that in my EG over the summer, and it is awesome! About 135 songs/MP3 CD, set up in the folders I created (which is easy to flip between.) Volume and track controls are accessible from the handlebars w/o moving my hands, and when you just push on the buttons, you can change some of the settings as well!

I paid $500 total, but that included the speakers (which you already have) and some installation fees.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nano is the Way To Go!

I got a 4G Nano over the holidays and it is like a whole new world opened up as far as music is concerned. I'm closin in on 50 and went thru 8-tracks, cassettes, and cds. But this Nano is somethin else. The reason is you can take it everywhere in your pocket. Mine holds about 800 songs,all arranged by Artist, album, or playlist. Takes 2 seconds to find the song/songs your lookin for. Now when it comes to my 05 E-Glide, I just wrap the velcro strap on the leather Nana case around my handlebar about 6 inches from the radio and plug the accessory cable into the input on the radio face, select whatever playlist I'm in the mood for(rock, blues, Gregorian Chants,whatever floats your boat that day), and play on shuffle mode. You can ride all day or even days, and not hear anything twice once you get it loaded up with songs. When you get off the bike 2 seconds to take it off, go into house and play it through stereo. They make a slim fm-wireless transmitter for 40 bucks that slides onto the back of it so you could even have the thing in your pocket while riding... not to mention you can use it in your car too...all this for like $250.00. It's the way to go as far as I,m concerned.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts