V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is nothing really new but maybe worth a bit of conversation.

On page 29 of the November 2002 issue of MotorCyclist magazine, there is a brief article about the H/D "demographic". The "average" Harley rider is male, age 45.6 years old, and makes $78K per year. Of interest is that 41% previouslyl owned a Harley and 31% were jumping ship from another bike brand. And a 28% were new to the sport or had not ridden for at least 5 years. Hmmm. No real surprises.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Generally, no surprises. But, $78K?????
I'm in the wrong job! :mad:
Just checked that out, its about £50,071 'ish Sterling.
thats about £35000 More than I get!!!
Fer Fu(ks Sake.....................:mad:
:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Jim,

the same data is available on the HD web site: use the "company" pull down menu to select "motorcycle and customer data" . This will open a new page, then click on "demographics".

Interesting.

regards,

wyo

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
The interesting thing about average age is that every year for the last ten it keeps going up......by 2025 their average buyer will be 65 years old...no wonder the Vrod came out.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wyodude said:
Jim,

the same data is available on the HD web site: use the "company" pull down menu to select "motorcycle and customer data" . This will open a new page, then click on "demographics".

Interesting.

regards,

wyo
I should have said that the magazine article attributed the info to the MoCo WEB site. 'sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Not really shocking...

The demographics of the entire country is changing with the aging of the boomers. Also, the price of a new Harley nearly dictates such as salary unless folks are running up a lot of debt. I mean how many younger folks make that kind of money? The 28% buying sector that has not ridden for the last five years is understandable when you consider that HD has probably doubled their production numbers in that timeframe.

I just bought my first streetbike and it was a FLSTC. I waited until I was 38 years old to do it and my salary could justify it without changing my lifestyle. Until this point other priorities always demanded my resources...time, attention, $$. :mad:

Tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts