V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a good one. I'm driving my cage in New York this morning and get picked up on radar for speeding (who, me?). I ask for a break, and after 10 minutes the cop returns to the car and says "I got good news. I'm not going to give you a speeding ticket, but I have to gig you for something." Turns out it's illegal to have decals on your windows in New York, so he ticketed me for having a Harley decal on the back window. Cost is $45, which sure beats a speeding rap and points on my license. Guess the question is - Did he cut me a break because I ride?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, it's wierd, and of course everybody's got decals of one sort or another on their cars. Where are you in Minnesota? I worked with a company in Bloomington for 6 months last year.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
In CA you can't have anything on the front, except in the lower left, like a school/base sticker. On the back it something like no bigger than 4" square on the left side, and 3" on the right. Was bored one day and looking vehicle code stuff up. Not sure if that's exactly right, but close enough. This is CA, other states may vary of course.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I think in Texas you can have no more than five shotguns in your gun rack.

Bla HAhahahhahahah

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
NYC Codes:

This is the closest match I could find.

A vehicle may not be driven on the roadway with glass that is broken, fractured or discolored so the drivers' visibility is obstructed. § 375 (22)

It sounds like the Officer is stretching the intent of obstructed visibility.

Hey did he write you up and list thhe exact code? If so what is it. Hell lets look it up!

·
Registered
43 Posts
what about vans with no rear windows? You would have to take time off from work. Pay $25 to park your car to fight it.
He did give you a break,that speeding ticket is alot more & points for 3 years,& higher insurance. I would just pay it. Even a parking ticket in N.Y. is $55. Remember you asked for a break!:cool:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Phatboy - I agree with you.
But just for chuckles, JimmyK, the code is sec.375, sub.1. Description of violation is "(illegible) stickers".

·
Registered
171 Posts
As far as I know in most states you can have your inside rearview mirror sitting on your front seat and a curtain across the back window as long as you have a drivers outside mirror. I'd just pay the ticket and get the hell outta Dodge!(ya really did get a break)
Sheepboy

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Ok bro as promised. Pay the ticket, the dude got ya.

S 375. Equipment. 1. Every motor vehicle, operated or driven upon the
public highways of the state, shall be provided with adequate brakes and
steering mechanism in good working order and sufficient to control such
vehicle at all times when the same is in use, and a suitable and
adequate horn or other device for signaling, which horn or device shall
produce a sound sufficiently loud to serve as a danger warning but shall
not be used other than as a reasonable warning nor be unnecessarily loud
or harsh.
Every such motor vehicle shall be equipped with suitable wipers or
other device which shall clear a sufficient area of the windshields to
provide reasonable driving vision. The use or placing of posters or
stickers on windshields or rear windows of motor vehicles other than
those authorized by the commissioner of motor vehicles, is hereby
prohibited. The attaching to windshields and windshield wipers of hand
bills and other forms of advertisements, is hereby prohibited.

Bro you can read the entire section 375 here ~~~>

http://assembly.state.ny.us/ALIS/?cl=128&a=17

Ok fellas for the rest of you, for instance asking about no rear window. The way this code is written, it is simply prohibited period unless the thing is "authorized" by the comissioner.

The law is plain and simple and even if it is stupid there is no fighting it.

If it is a mail in fine, drop it in the mail because this is open and shut. STUPID AS HELL ! but open and shut none the less.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
StrayDog that is the interesting part of how this one is written. Many of the codes deal specifically with those REGISTERED in NY. Not so with this one.

Based on that, they may have written it to establish probable cause to make a stop which as written, they have if you have an "unapproved sticker" front or rear glass.

Sneaky but no doubt affective means of checking folks out in situations that could lead to contraband arrests which could be thrown out if probable cause to make the stop can not be established.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JimmyK

Thanks for the research, dude. Guess I'll pay the fine and be thankful I didn't have to "do the time".

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Re: JimmyK

nyaz2000 said:
Thanks for the research, dude. Guess I'll pay the fine and be thankful I didn't have to "do the time".
No problem bro! I am just sitting here killing time. Going to set up the bike being towed into the shop in an hour. After that I have my choice. I can...

(1) Come back and sit here and bang the keyboard

or

(2) Take the rented Kia out for a ride.

No brainer huh?

I'LL BE BACK

LOL!

·
Registered
56 Posts
nyaz2000...

whats a guy from arizona doin' cruzin around in n.y. for????

like phatboy said, even if it wasn't illegal, pay it and SAVE money..lol

as far as rear windows on a van is concered, to drive on any parkway here you must have (among other things like rear seats,seatbelts etc...) you must have "parkway windows" on the rear sides (even if they do **** for visibility). I know that you can also get a ticket for having anything that hangs from the review morror.

just curious, was it a state trooper or local p.d. that pulled you over....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Electrified

I live in Phoenix (where my ride is) but work in Bethpage, New York (where my cage is). It's a hell of a commute,but what are you gonna do?
Got stopped by Nassau County police. They had a little radar nest set up and were pulling lot of folks over for speeding. They had me doing 53 in a 40, so I feel like I did get a break.
Where in NY are you?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts