V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanx to JimmyK for enlightening (LOL) me on this one in another thread. :D Went to the Stealer last week and picked up the reconfigure rear brake kit for my FLHRCI. Now I have 3 brake lights instead of 1. Easy install, and costs only about $50.00. Red lenses look a lot better than the yellow also. Wonder why they don't do all of the bikes at the factory?:confused: Was told by the Stealer that this option can be bought for all H.D. bikes built after 1996.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Hey, you are quite welcome. I honestly think this is by far one of the smartest modifications one can do. The increased visibility is a life saver.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I assume you mean the part that converts the turn signals to brake lights, so that you now have 3 brake lites vs 1? I use a similar switch from kuryaken(sp) which does that but also converts the turn signals into running lights (i.e. 3 rear lites at all times). They also serve as add'l brakes lights.

I agree, hard to figure why this isn't stock (although I suspecy i can guess).

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Please

Can someone post a picture of this option? I would like to see what all the hub bub is:cool:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Mark, its just a relay switch which goes inline under the seat (at least on my road king). I used Kuryaken, about $45. Now, when the ignition is on, in addition the the rear taillight, the turn signals are lit (i,e, running lights). The turn signals also work as brake lights, getting brighter when the brakes are applied, in addition to the regular brake light. It just adds more lighting to the rear by letting the turn signals do double or triple duty (on the HD relay, its lets them serve as brakes lights, but not as running lights, not sure why. I wanted all three).

It took about 20 minutes to install (most figuring out how to remove the seat the first time). Just unplug the existing relay and add the new one in line.

Kind of a no brainer as far as i could tell, greg

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I bought the Harley kit for my Fat Boy but before that I had gone to the smoked lenses all around which rely on amber bulbs for the color. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find single filiment red bulbs for the rear.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
BTW, i just noticed this eve, that the Kuryaken (don't know about HD) also turns front turn signals into running lights, so 5 lights up front. The turn lites don't help the rider but I like to be seen.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I thought the front turns were all running lights from the factory...I know mine were. the Kuryakyn kit makes the rears running lights right?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Check out the Kuryakyn turn singnal brake module with overload sensor. It's $10.00 cheaper and it turns all three lights into a brake light and the turn signals function independently. If memoey serves the harley module doesn't have as many features. I've had them both the Kuryakyn is a better way to go! Just my .02 worth!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Logical/Steve3, just a little brain fade. Forgot the fronts were already running lights (since the relay fit into the rear light harness it would have been a pretty neat trick to affect the front lights (LOL). greg

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought that the rear turn signals with the HD mod still worked independently of the brake lighting. I mean, with the brakes applied at a turn, with the right signal on and blinking, the left turn signal would be acting as a brake light. Am I correct on this?

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
I have the Kuryakyn Panacea LED taillight and turn signals on rear. Cost me about $250 total and about 45 minutes to install. And if I can install, anyone can install(believe me). These things are BRIGHT!!! Plue when you hit turn signal, an arrow in the taillight points direction and the lights are noticeable from a distance. I ride in downtown Atlana traffic and need all the extra I can get.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Markcuda
While I agree the more visible you are the better, your Ultra will come with quite an array of lights.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
With flash...

Thought you'd enjoy seeing your selection......:D

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
hogg831, is that Gunmetal?:) I forgot all about the light just below the tail light on the fender. That looks so sweetttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt;)
I hope my a$$ looks that good when I get my bike:cool:

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Thanks Markcuda,
Yea Dude, that's the Gunmetal, and you'll enjoy it, I know I am:D

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm glad I ran into this thread, it was very timely since I was going to buy the H-D module but now will consider the Kuryakyn for the added feature of having running lights as well. One question, do the turning signals continue to self cancel when you add either one of these modules?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts