V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my bike with me heart and not my head. I like the Softail Deluxe for a lot of reasons. One that I remember vividly was the tank badge. Ok, so it's a little cosmetic thing but it caught my eye. And like the now famous Fatboy tank logo I think it makes the Deluxe a little more unique. It sure was a hot seller when I went in to negotiate for one so they did something right.

But now what is the MOCO doing? They are screwing with the Deluxe. I guess to increase the profit on the line. A bunch of the 2006 Deluxes I saw on the showroom floor had different painted tank badges. What I saw were the retro looking "box" design painted on. They are also doing a script design on the new color schemes. They are not as unique and they definitely don't stand out as much as the 2005 models with the winged chrome badge. Little changes like this for the bottom line will take the wind out of their Deluxe sales and relegate it back to just another Softail in a long line of Softails.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
But it is just another softail in a long line of softails.:265:
The winged tank badge should have stayed though. It is a nice feature compared to the decals.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
And the fatboy started out life with a meaning. It was gray and had 7 yellow rings on the bike. 1 around the key switch, 1 on each of the tank emblems, 1 on the point cover, 1 on the derby cover and 1 on each of the rocker cover center rings.

This is what makes the first year (1990) fatboy a desirable bike. Maybe some day this will have the same effect for your 05 Deluxe. The fatboy doesn't seem to have any loss of popularity.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
......understand your point, but it harkens memories of all the "aficionados" declaring the 100th badge as ugly.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Probably the biggest reason I was not interested in any Fatboy special editions was due to changing the fatboy insignia to script on all special colored fatboys I had seen the past few years... I agree with HD on here...

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
minivan said:
Probably the biggest reason I was not interested in any Fatboy special editions was due to changing the fatboy insignia to script on all special colored fatboys I had seen the past few years... I agree with HD on here...
I agree with HD also ,the badge is a little classier than a decal. It's funny but alot of people that i've talked to in the dealerships looking at bikes did not want a decal. The feeling was that the decal was"cheap" looking on a 20'000 dollar bike.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I checked the H-D website. It appears the stock Deluxe keeps the tank badge. The "custom" paint models get a decal. I might add, I too , like the badge. It adds a touch of class to the bike.

Ray

·
Registered
509 Posts
hogg831 said:
......understand your point, but it harkens memories of all the "aficionados" declaring the 100th badge as ugly.
Yeah, but the 100th badge Is Ugly. But, it is still on my RK. GO figure. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts