V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes guys behind me smell gas. Its not the overflow because they smell it at half tank. This is a 203 softail standard, carb, SE upgrade, SE slip on pipes. Also use standard plugs. The bike seems to runs great and the plugs look good. I just upgraded the wires to SE. Thought about SE coil or ignition module if there is one.

Any suggestions.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
quickster said:
Sometimes guys behind me smell gas. Its not the overflow because they smell it at half tank. This is a 203 softail standard, carb, SE upgrade, SE slip on pipes. Also use standard plugs. The bike seems to runs great and the plugs look good. I just upgraded the wires to SE. Thought about SE coil or ignition module if there is one.

Any suggestions.
If there are no signs of a leak then does the soot in your pipes look abnormally wet?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Jams said:
If there are no signs of a leak then does the soot in your pipes look abnormally wet?
Best way to check for leaks is to run around the engine and tanks with a lighter.....J/K.:blurpan:

Check your fuel filter if you've one and also consider your mileage. Has it started to get thirstier than usual, or has it always appeared to be so?
There are lots of variables-what have you eliminated as the possibilities?

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
8-Ball said:
It has happened to me a couple of times too... very embarrassing.
Don't you hate that.
When shopping with the O/L I will let her take off down the aisle and then do some venting #@SasF# and it never fails someone will always walk around the corner right into the cloud! :fart:

·
natural-born world-shaker
2,978 Posts
Stay with her, Jams, and then point at her behind your hand ..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its not me, its the bike

very funny, but really the pipes look black inside,dry. Remember the plugs looked fine, no sign of fouling and performance seems great. I thought about the SE coil or ignition but dont know much about that and how to install.

quickster

·
Lookin' for '09 FLHRC
84 Posts
It was broght to my attention by my ride bud a couple rides ago, that my RK Classic no longer smells of gasoline. He said it used to be terrible following me. I changed slip ons and changed the settings on my DFO and that cured it.

-2$en#e- -2$en#e- -2$en#e- -2$en#e- -2$en#e- -2$en#e-

That's my 12 cents worth!

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
That is where I was heading if the soot in the pipes were wet looking it would be a good indication of an overly rich mixture......but quickster you never hung around for an answer to your question so I guess nobody figured it was a serious question. :huh:

·
Lookin' for '09 FLHRC
84 Posts
The soot never looked wet for me. Although it did look like a heavy coating.
Now, after some tweakin' on the DFO the soot has lightened up a good bit.

Bike feels better too.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jams, thanks for your response

I'm going to have someone look at it just to be sure, maybe I did fart. a little.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts