V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I'm buying a Sporty....even though i originally wanted a big twin........... #1 i cant afford a big twin.... and #2 i like to be a underdog and suprise people of what you can make out of something less.. (i know they arn't less...just alot of big twin nobs always make fun.....they do look pretty Small with that little tank though)

So my plan was to buy a cheap old sporty and the first thing i was going to do was buy a big tank kit and forward controls....and get the everything else slowly.

But i just fell apon a 93 sportster with 9000km on it, a Big Tank kit, Arlen ness front and rear fenders,custom paint job (not flashy black and dark blue) Custom Handle bars with built in blinkers, Front small windsheild. (i'll only use that on trips) and saddle bags (trips again) a corbin single seat, aftermarket exhaust...im not shure what brand, everything looks great on this thing... even the brakes and tires are in great shape.......so since it has everything done to it on my list... and more..and i couldn't do all that for the price it is.

i'm paying $5200.00 ($8000 canadian)
I gave the guy a down payment and am trying to muster up some money.
he owns a custom bike shop in my town, nice guy.

the only thing it doesn't have is forward controls.. :(
but i'll pick some up somewhere...cause i'm 6.2 and there is no way i'm riding with my legs all jammed up like that. :)

I'll Post pics when i get it.... maybe a couple weeks

weeeeeeeeeeeee I'm excited.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Congradulations. You get what you can afford and have fun with it. Sounds like you stumble across a gem that is more customized like the way you want. Glad to here you found it a price you can afford too. What is it? 883 or 1200?

Ride safe and post some pic when you get it. We wanna see it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Not a thing wrong with the Sportster..... Back in 95 I bought an 883 XLH... Then in 98 I bought a Heritage Classic... sold the 883... Heritage was a nice ride but after awhile I found it to be cumberson around town and in fact I just didn't have time to really enjoy it.... sold that too.... Then got the bikers erriction again in 2000 and bought a new 2001 Road king (fuel injected)...... Woo Hoo what a nice highway ride.... but in town again there seemed to be alote of up and down bounce... and the engine always felt "hot" under my seat.... again.... No time to really take long tours to enjoy the bike as a touring bike.... guess what, sold that too... Of all these bikes, I seemed to miss the Sportster the most as it was quick (even for an 883) and did OK for some light touring of which I seem to be more..... of what you might say... cut- out- for. So now, after haveing owned 2 big-twins, I'm back to my type of ride... A Sportster again and lovin every minute of it.... Less expensive to own, not as worried about a little dirt, not spend hours checking out the chrome options,......... just having fun as this bike will not be a garage queen like the big-twins were...... Remember, the Sportster is not a beginners bike.... It is a HARLEY that is styled to fit a persons specific needs, desire, and taste.... You can go just as fast, just as far, and spend less money doing it.... You can even do things on a Sportster that big-twins can't!....... Most of all when you tire of riding or don't have time to really ride.... the money you have invested is far less.... The Sportster will always be the "stable" Harley in my opnion....

·
Riding yr rnd in sunny FL
309 Posts
Congrats on the Sporty harrington. Check out highway pegs for about $75 until you can get the forward controls. I am 6-2 as well and like the pegs on my Sporty enough that I probably won't get forward controls.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts