V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully i can get some tips.I've got a 2001 fxd, 88'', first primary leak was in '03 about6k,now again w/18k.No cracks and the inner primary gasket surface(s) was clean/true. did everything by the book and yes stock h-d parts. thanks,rob. While this is apart i'd like to change the front sprocket to one less tooth,somewhere around a 3.25 ratio. what would be the part# and do i need a new chain,i really don't want to spring for a new clutch basket. thanks,rob

·
Registered
70 Posts
If your leak shows up around the primary drain plug its probally the shifter shaft seal on the tranny.

I also have a 2001 FXD and thought I had a primary leak. After changing the gaskets on the outer primary, leak was still there. Finally figured it out.

After dealer replaced the seal all has been okay for over 4K.

Good Luck

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
FatBobRob said:
Hopefully i can get some tips.I've got a 2001 fxd, 88'', first primary leak was in '03 about6k,now again w/18k.No cracks and the inner primary gasket surface(s) was clean/true. did everything by the book and yes stock h-d parts. thanks,rob. While this is apart i'd like to change the front sprocket to one less tooth,somewhere around a 3.25 ratio. what would be the part# and do i need a new chain,i really don't want to spring for a new clutch basket. thanks,rob
By going to a 24 tooth drive sprocket and staying with the 36 tooth basket..you will be at the far end of adjustment on the chain. your final ratio would actually be 3.28. Just not enough difference IMHO to make it worth it.
I'd go to 3.37 or leave it alone.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
FatBobRob said:
My friend has an 03 FXDL that he went to a 29 tooth which is a 3.48 ratio.
I was thinking about doing that this winter as well.
http://www.andrews-products.com/motorcycle/cams/big_twin_transmission_belt_sproc.htm
Check it out. He said with the 29 tooth he was right at the end of the belt adjustment. I believe on the site it tells you how much more adjustment you need for each size pulley reduction if not I have it all in my notes somewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts