V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have any good tips on group ridding? Things like position on the leader, pack etiquette, hand signals, lane position and lane changes. Pre ride briefings seem like good ideas at least if some one tries to ride close. Any feedback welcome.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Why don't you check out the AMA site for group riding tips.

They have some pretty good tips and I usually refer everybody that ask me this question to that site. But the one suggestion that I always make is to have somebody with radio communication, CB, close to the front and another at the rear incase somebody has a problem. The AMA site recommends somebody with a cell phone which is good but my opinion is somebody with a CB is better.

If you Google "motorcycle group riding tips" you'll see all kinds of site out there that have some very good tips. If I remember right a couple years ago somebody posted some good tips on group rides.

Enjoy and don't forget to run staggers.

o~\o

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
I have noticed that when our riding group gets together there is a very concerted effort to put safety first. Yeah we blast off from the lights and like to cut up the twisties by dragging some floorboards but there always seems to be a constant eye on safety. One of the biggest things I notice when we ride together is that intersections are always treated with the caution they warrant. I notice the leader shifting lane positions to be more visible to left turn-ers, or slowing when visibility is degraded because of a stopped car or truck, or stopping on a yellow because the pack can't make it done. Watch those intersections always -- but especially in groups.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Riders Edge

Riders Edge/MDF has a "Group Riding Handbook". You can also purchase a group course called "Rider's Edge/MSF guide to group riding". The handbook has lots of good information, hand signals, formations etc. :chopper: :chopper: :chopper:

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
Lots of local HOG chapters have this info on their websites and are usually linked to from the sponsoring dealership in the area. There can even be some differences between the chapters in the policies for group rides.

Chris

·
Draggin' Floorboards!
545 Posts
My Pet Peeves For Staggered Group Riding:

1. People who hang back too far, or do not keep their speeds constant, which causes a rubberband effect.

2. People who follow too closly to the bike stagged to them (i.e.: their front tire next to my rear tire).

3. People who get side by side while turning (this is seriously dangerous)

4. Hand signals... learn them before using them! How many times do you see people signaling for "hazard right" and they are making a right turn?

:stupid:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts