V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my handle bars about 5K miles ago and my left grip is loose, probably from sitting in the HOT Arizona Sun all day while at work.

I used GripLock glue that I had been using on my dirt bike grips and never had a problem.

Is there a better brand of glue out there that can stand up to the heat?
Any tips or tricks to getting the glue to stick better?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!:cheers:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
My grip has stayed on for 16k miles, with hair spray.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hair Spray?
Holy crap the bed! What kind? Must really do a great job on your noggin!

Is that an old biker trick or just a means to an end?

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
berserker said:
My grip has stayed on for 16k miles, with hair spray.
i need to try this my left grip is loose

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Black Magic said:
Hair Spray?
Holy crap the bed! What kind? Must really do a great job on your noggin!

Is that an old biker trick or just a means to an end?
Years ago I successfully installed many a grip with cheap Aqua Net hair spray. When I installed the new Kuryakyn ISO grips on my previous bike (Dyna), the left grip never did stick with hair spray. I then cleaned the hair spray off the grip and handle bar end and used grip glue from my indie dealer....rock solid.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Renthal grip glue works really well, I have used it on dirt bike grips and the Harley grips. I really like the HD glueless models that clamp on with the housing.

·
The OTHER White Meat.
1,704 Posts
I just installed the Nostalgic grips (I know they don't fit everyones style), but they don't use glue at all.

·
Twist it, pop it, burn it
161 Posts
Yes but how does your hair look with grip glue?

·
Registered
622 Posts
I used super glue gel. I cleaned the area with electric motor and brake cleaner, then scuffed it a bit with emery cloth to get existing glue residue off and then cleaned again. Put glue on both the grip and handle bar, installed and left it alone for about an hour. Several years later, everything ok

·
Registered
179 Posts
Golf Club Grip Tape
There's water activated and solvent activated.
You wrap this stuff around the (clean!) handlebar and then get it wet with water or solvent (mineral spirits, alcohol, etc). This makes the tape slick, and the grip will slide right on. Let it dry, and the grip will never come off.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Niagra or Aquanet hair spray has always worked for me. No preference, just which ever one the particular lady has on hand.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
It doesn't work for patches. Ask Lurlene.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
hair spray has been a traditional grip glue for decades, for Huffey's and Harleys.

Don't think a product is worthless just because there's no bar and shield, or costs less than $19.95.

I keep hearing people go into shock when its mentioned my grips are held on with Aquanet, because they never stop to think that most marketing is a ploy to sell you something you already had...

This rant brought to you by:

"MegaClump, the leatest and greatest all-natural non-toxic vegan grip glue! 1200 psi holding power! water proof! oil proof! guarenteed to make your wallet lighter!

only $29.95 at your local stealership!"

(warning: not to be used on motorized vehicles or children)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts